mtbr member
    Jul 2012

$500 Wheelset for a super-clyde

So I've destroyed another cheap machine made wheel - not even sure what it was. This time its my hub that gave it up and I've decided to actually invest in some good wheels/hubs this time instead of just asking the LBS what they have that's cheap. These will be on a Giant Trance that I use for trail riding. I'm 6'1" 265 Lbs. so I know I put some stress on the parts though I don't think I'm necessarily extremely hard on wheels since even the cheap wheels will typically last me about a year or so (typically ride at least every weekend) with only a couple broken spokes. Typically no jumping or anything like that, this clyde doesn't fly so well. If your familiar with Sacramento region my normal rides are confluence (1,000 ft climb then nice descent) , forest hill, salmon falls (20 miles out-back mostly single track) and those. After literally hours and days of agonizing here is what I think I'm gonna go with

Stans NoTubes Flow 32H (white) $90.00 for the pair
    DT Swiss Comp Spokes (Silver) $51.94
    Hope Pro 2 Front Hub (Blue) $79.83
    Hadley SDH Rear Hub (Blue) $265.00
    Wheel Smith Alloy Nipples (Blue) $28.56
    (yeah they're straight up bling but damnit I think it'll look sweet)
    TOTAL $515.33

I think I'm pretty confident that the hubs are about the best I'm gonna do while staying reasonably close to my budget of $500 for the wheelset. Any thoughts on the rims?

Anybody have a pic of blue hubs laced to white rims with blue nipples? After deciding that I would shell out the cash for the Hadley hub I decided I might as well make the wheels really bling.

The last piece is finding someone in the Sacramento area to actually build them since I'm ordering parts from 3 different sites in order to even get these parts for anywhere close to my budget. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    A wheelbuild will probably cost between $60-90 per wheel. At this point, you've got the materials, you might as well learn to build wheels. It sounds daunting at first, but you can get as involved as you want, ie: lace the wheel and then bring it to the shop to be tensioned/trued. This will probably cost significantly less than a full build.

You could save a significant amount of money by getting Sapim Race spokes from Danscomp. A full set will cost about $30. Anodized nipples will run about $20. That should bring you under $500, but still doesn't account for the cost of building the wheel at a shop.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    You should get quotes from reputable wheelbuilders. They will often be less expensive than ordering the parts from separate vendors and then paying to have your wheels built. Personally, i would use hope hubs front and rear and wtb i23 rims.
    Riding slowly since 1977.