Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

XC suggestions near Nakusp?

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  telebiker 
#1 ·
I'm just doing some research for a stay MacDonald Creek Campground south of Nakusp this summer.

Any recommendations for intermediate XC loops? Some of the trails I've heard of nearby:

Kuskanax Creek
Box Lake
Nakusp-Rosebery Railway.

Ideally they'd be loops in the 20km-40km range. I'll be riding a hardtail 29er.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Kuskanux is a worthy loop. The bridge above the hot springs is being replaced so I'm not sure if it is doable as a loop. Still worthy as an out and back though. You might try checking Trails | Nakusp and Area Community Trails Society for updated info. The Nakusp Rosebery Rail trail is spectacular from Summit to Rosebery although there are some challenging water crossings between Summit Lake and Hills. Not so interesting between Nakusp and Summit. Box Lake has some shorter downhill oriented rides. Your best bets for longer XC rides are New Denver and Mcpherson trails in Revelstoke. Well worth the extra travel time.

#4 ·
Yes, my favorite loop is up Galena trail from New Denver to Three Forks, then climb up H Rd to Queen Bess, ride Queen Bess to the Alamo Trail, down Alamo to Old Sandon Rd and back to town. About a 30 km loop with 4000 ft of elevation. All singletrack except for 4 or 5 km on the Queen Bess road.

#6 ·
Not well marked at all. On your way up H rd, you'll notice some signage after the first 3 or 400 yards(metres). That's the last sign you will see for a while. Continue grunting up H Rd for 4 or 5 km until you top out on a road in a clear cut. This is Queen Bess. Turn right and churn your way up a few more clicks as the views open up and you reach a fork in the road. Left goes up, right goes down. Take the right and follow the road for a short bit until you see a trail that drops off to the right. Lower your seat and give er. just about when your brakes and your fore arms are about to quit on you, you'll reach a trail junction. Right leads to Choices and a techy joy ride. Left will get you back in the flow. Both trails end back on Old Sandon Rd. Left turn brings you back to town.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.