conjoinicorned

winter riding....moose mtn?

hi all,

anyone doing some snow riding? recommend any trails? the bowmont loop (sideshow) is crazy fun in this weather, be prepared to get wet!

i'm itching for some snow covered DH, anyone been around the moose area lately?
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So your pedaling the downhiller up the road? I think it closed Dec 1.

Nosehill has some shorter runs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    hi all,

anyone doing some snow riding? recommend any trails? the bowmont loop (sideshow) is crazy fun in this weather, be prepared to get wet!

i'm itching for some snow covered DH, anyone been around the moose area lately?
    Since the snow and cold:

Last Sunday, rode Powderface short loop - ice under 2"-5" powder snow, so a fair bit of walking on the way up Powderface, climbing the link was rideable, "surfing" on the way down Prairie link/creek.

The Elbow area had around the same amount of snow, so Moose should be ridable, with varying amounts of pushing. We rode Race just before it got cold and snowy, so it would be nice to hit that again. The berms should help make it ridable in the snow, without exiting to the trees on every corner I guess.

This weekend, expect the snow will be packed and/or icy.
    I just got some Extreme 294s so will be ready for ice...

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    So your pedaling the downhiller up the road? I think it closed Dec 1.

Nosehill has some shorter runs.

nosehill eh...i'm waiting for my 29er to get here then i'll hit up nosehill. i'll happily walk my DH bike up the fireroad if conditions are ok...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Formerly DMR For Life
    i've been keeping to the pavement mostly....it would be pretty interesting to do moose in the snow (maybe not the best idea for someone who has never done it before - ie me)

DMR

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well, looks like it'll be above freezing friday night, so.. I might see you there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    has anyone done something like goat creek in the winter time? does it get trackset? regardless, what are the rules of mountain bikers riding on trackset trails? I've only done stuff like jewell or moose mountain road in the snow - never been on a groomed trail. it's been a few months since i've seen a real trail and am dying to get out there!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xcolin
    has anyone done something like goat creek in the winter time? does it get trackset? regardless, what are the rules of mountain bikers riding on trackset trails? I've only done stuff like jewell or moose mountain road in the snow - never been on a groomed trail. it's been a few months since i've seen a real trail and am dying to get out there!
    If you ride on trackset trails, you're sure to annoy at least some, if not all skiiers, since it's very likely to trash the track (unless it's rock-hard). My thinking would be to ride on non-ski trails as much as possible. Powderface, Moose, Jewell, etc.

mmmmm argon
    I have ridden Moose in the snow, both sides. Its way faster in the snow. just harder to stay on the trail. LOL
    Dave

www.uriedog.com

Made in Canada.

Members who have read this thread: 0