mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Whitehorse riding conditions

A few of us are planning to head down from AK, over Labor Day Weekend. Curious about trail conditions, weather, etc. Thanks in advance for any replies.

@adelorenzo
    Cool and rainy, but trails are in awesome shape. This is the best time of year to ride. Fall colours are amazing in the alpine.

Any other questions about where to ride or where to stay/eat fire away. I'm around this weekend so could probably hook up for a ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks, Anthony! Thus far 4 of us heading down your way, should pull in sometime Fri early afternoon. Is there a good way to contact you once we are down there? We met a few folks from Whitehorse when they came up for the Soggy Bottom. Looking forward to riding around Whitehorse!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am driving to WH tomorrow from Anchorage. Hope to get in late on tuesday or early wed. It went last year in September and had a blast. I plan on staying a week or more. Look forward to riding Carcoss again as well. Especially the Stan McGee trail with the screaming descent!

I will be staying in the Robert Service CG. My phone didn't work last time but bringing my laptop. So give a shout.

Patrick

@adelorenzo
    Hi Jill, Patrick:

There will be a big, mixed group doing Mountain Hero (formerly known as Sam McGee) in Carcross on Sunday if either of you are interested. It will be a slow trip, lots of stopping for pictures, eating, waiting for slower riders but if you are into that let me know. The fall colors will be amazing, this is what they looked like on Labour Day a couple of years ago:

We're Going Over There by Jennoit, on Flickr

Even if you want to ride it at your own pace we could join forces to drop vehicles off at the end of the trail.

I'll PM you guys my contact details to hook up for some rides around Whitehorse as well.

@adelorenzo
    One more thing please secure your bikes. Last week a very expensive bike was stolen, left locked overnight on a roof rack by an out-of-towner. Very rare here but it can happen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ahhhh that's right, Sam McGee trail. Stan doesn't sound like a miners name. Either way that is a fun trail. Derek and Wayne, a couple of the trail builders told me about it and drove me up there last year. I'm into it. Brining my cable lock but maybe will bring the heavy chain as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Anthony, that ride sounds great.
    Patrick, we'll try to be in touch.
    We'll definitely bring a big lock. We are pretty excited to ride some trails down there and for a great road trip. See you soon!