mtbr member
    May 2013

Whistler Trip Help

I'm heading to whistler at the end of the month with my wife and was wondering if anyone could recommend some good beginner cross country type rides that I could take here on in the 4-8 mile range? I'm also trying to think of some none biking activities that would be good if anyone has any ideas. Thanks.

ups and downs
    Lost Lake/Zappa trails are likely the most beginner-ish XC trails around Whistler Village, and are close at hand. Once you're on the natural terrain trails outside the Bike Park, a BC style beginner (Green circle) trail can look like a black diamond trail in other parts of the world, especially for someone who isn't used to roots and rocks buried in their beginner trails. Generally a Green or Blue trail just means there's no mandatory obstacles or trail features, and limited exposure, there can still be gut busting climbs (not the Zappa trails, which are fairly low elevation change). Squamish has more green circle trails that are readily accessible, but even there, the elevation gain can be challenging.

http://www.whistler.com/resources/pd...ike_trails.pdf

Here's a video of some Zappa Trails, these would be Blue Intermediate

Whistler Day 1: Zappa Trails on Vimeo
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the links, the Zappa trails look like a good option. The bridges may be a bit intimidating, but I think she can handle them. We are going to be there for 8 days and are staying in Creekside, I think I will take her to Squamish one day if there is a decent beginner trail network.

I also was planning on going to the bike park with her, one maybe two days if she enjoys it. Looks like there are at least 5 or so green runs to try.

Thanks again for the info.

ups and downs
    If you're going to do Squamish, the area around Alice Lake is great, lots of different stuff in a compact area.

If she's not fond of elevation change, there's White Rabbit and Wonderland southbound on the east side of the highway, and some return trails coming back up on the west side of the highway.

If she doesn't mind some climbing, the service road climb from Alice Lake to Bob McIntosh trail, Dead End Loop, Rock n Roll Bypass, Rob's and Cliff's Corners will lead you down to the trails in Garibaldi Heights, and you can return on Jack's Trail back to the Alice Lake parking lot. Both the Corners are a hoot, under the power lines, more turns per kilometre than you can imagine is possible. You can pickup a Squamish trail map in the local shops.

If she likes the green bike park trails, there are some fast and flowy trails in Squamish above Quest University, primarily accessible by riding up the Legacy Climbing trail, but Full Nelson and Half Nelson are swoopy bermy trails.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Whistler Trip Help

Cool. Thx, I'm excited! Appreciate the help!

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    I'm heading to Whistler this weekend and it looks like it's going to be rather warm. Any chance they'll open the lifts earlier than 10am to account for the hot weather?

ups and downs
    Oh heck it gets that hot quite often in the summer. If they decide to change it up, it would be posted here

Whistler Mountain Bike Park - Whistler, BC, Canada - Dates and Hours of Operation

or here

https://www.facebook.com/WhistlerBikePark?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'd suggest getting the iphone map apps instead of paper maps for both Squamish and Whistler. They put a little icon on the map showing you where you are, virtually eliminating your chances of getting lost or not finding your trail.

In the Alice lake area of Squamish I'd also recommend Man Boobs. Fast and flowy, with some very small jumps that are all completely optional. Psudo-pseuga is fun near the university area, or if you need a bit more (but not too much more) challenge, check out Recycle.

If you're staying at Creekside in Whistler, the Riverside trails at Function are not too far from you. You can ride the paved valley trail to get there. And check out Creekbread in Creekside for great pizza.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Whistler Trip Help

Thanks I'll check those ones out along w the pizza place!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The Riverside and Farside trails near Function Junction are good beginner places (there will be some corners and sections that she is likely to walk). The scenery there along the river is wonderful. Apps are a great idea, but Brian Finestone's trail book has good descriptions of what you will get into. Zappa/Lost Lake is a good next step with Squamish worth the ride after, IMO. Good advice from Fanatykco Bike shop in Whistler village. Just remember that the terrain and trails in Whistler and area can be humbling for a non-technical rider. Just take your time and enjoy - it's Disneyland for bikes. Creekbread will be a good reward.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Damn, I didn't realize it got so hot up here. It's supposed to hit 85/29 by 11am tomorrow, which is about my limit when wearing a full face and pads. Guess I can try to get an hour in before it gets too warm for me... If it regularly gets this hot, why don't they open the lifts at a reasonable time?

ups and downs
    It'll be 30-35C during Crankworx (or raining and cool). They have a couple of hours of prep to get everyone in place to get the Bike Park open, and make sure everything is safe before letting people go rippin' down the mountain, so there's a limit to how early they can get people into work.

mtbr member
    Drink lots of water take breaks and it's fine

mtbr member
    May 2013
    @ sweetness. Thanks for the reccomendation on creekside pizza. Me and my wife have been there 2 times since we got here. Great food and very allergy friendly.