mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Whistler, Squamish and Pemby trail suggestions for post back surgery rider.

Hi guys,

I plan to get back out riding on Thursday. I've ridden three times so far after an 8 week recovery from a Mircodiscetomeny (might have spelled that wrong.. it's back surgery) I've been taking it easy, taking all ride arounds or walking over stuff. My surgeon says no jumps or dumps. I know I can hit Lost Lake and some of the easier trails in the Valley but I thought I could ask you guys for suggestions. Where's some good trails to ride that don't have many drops? I can deal with skinnies and ladders within reason. I usually ride most of the single diamond trails in the valley and the park when I'm healthy. I also have a car so I plan to drive to Pemberton or Squamish to bike ride.

BTW.. I don't mind giving rides if anyone needs a ride in the next 3 and half weeks.

Thanks
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Pemberton

-One Mile Lake area covers most of your bases.
    -Do the lower trails too around the Radio Tower.

Whistler

- Cut Yer Bars area
    - Young Lust
    - Big Nimby to Foreplay or CNumb in reverse

Squamish

Too many to list - you have to get to the shuttle Diamond Head trails for drops and gaps.

Really you need to get to local shops and get the maps. Could spend all day typing
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks Lee!

I did Nimby to the fire road then Middle Earth. I turned around rode them back down. I would like to hit some more trails like that. The bridges were wide! I got a map at the Bike Co. I'll definitely tryout some of those trails! I'm lovin Pemberton and Mount Currie Coffee Co. for post ride espresso shots!

I've ridden Cut Yer Bars lately. Saw guys with DH bikes.. What's up with that? I've rode CN before. It's right at my limit but too long. I'm worried my back will start aching with Kms left to pedal.

I've never ridden Squamish trails. Every time I'm in Squamish it's to rock climb. Lee, I think you misread my post.. I'm not asking the same ol "What trails are awesome to ride" I'm looking for advice on trails where the bike stays on the ground because of surgery. I guess you're right though.. I could hit Tantalus bike shop by the Starbuck's and ask them what blues don't have any jumps or drops.

Sounds like my spine couldn't take Diamond Head but will keep it mind for next year!

So you're sayin there's plenty of easier trails to be ridden. That's a relief! Thanks..

ups and downs
    Most, if not all the Squamish blue trails can be ridden as wheels on the ground with low bridges (although some are long ones), or have options to TTF's, and are just nice loamy enjoyable rides.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Most, if not all the Squamish blue trails can be ridden as wheels on the ground with low bridges (although some are long ones), or have options to TTF's, and are just nice loamy enjoyable rides.
    R is saying it better - that's what I meant.

CN backwards is also what i meant as a not bad for back ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've already asked some friends and the guys that recognize me at Fanatyk for advice. I've been offered to tag along with people but I can't ride with anyone because I'm so outta shape and fragile right now! I really wanted to hear what both of you had to say. Both you guys have so much local knowledge.. Thank you!

mtbr member
    there are 'DH' trails off the high point on cut yer bars, good place for some early season gnar usually. Emerald forest trails are similar to lost lake zappas, good for a short ride in whistler.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    When riding in Squamish, be sure to ride a loop that includes Half Nelson. Super fun trail!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    there are 'DH' trails off the high point on cut yer bars, good place for some early season gnar usually. Emerald forest trails are similar to lost lake zappas, good for a short ride in whistler.
    Emerald Forest's a good suggestion. Don't know why i forgot that.

yah Suicycle and Hand of Doom are DH variations off Cut Yer Bars but like 1 minute and its over

Thinking more about Whistler maybe Whip Me Snip Me, Surf's Up, Rebob over near Rainbow hiking trailhead on the other side?

There's also Trainwreck but subject to the railway police not being pains in the asses

Cheakamus Lake trails and fun, fast, swoopy. Climb the S side then descend the N side imo is the nicer way

Thinking more about Squampton because this is a nice sticky for people

Climb Cheekye Fan trails
    - climb double and singletrack on the W side of 99 to about 3/4 way up to Cat Lake
    - Bit of highway to Cat LAke
    - Chesire Cat and Chesire Kitten
    - Wonderland
    - Finish at Shady Tree

Or could keep climbing from Kitten to Alice Lake
    - Jacks reverse to 50 Shades climb
    - Credit Line

or over to Eds or continue to Made in the Shade
    - Dead End Loop is still a very cool trail
    - Robs and Cliffs
    - Tracks from Hell to the Mike's loop climb
    - then either Credit Line or some of the harder trails over to the Entrails area

Then there's all the Univercity trails near the FSR to Elfin Lakes

- New BRT built climbing trail to Angry Midget or do Half Nelson/Full Nelson
    - Recycle
    - Pseudotsuga

Also in that area do
    - Freds
    - Word of Mouth

Can go over RIng Creek via the bridge

- Hoods in the Woods
    - Somewhere Over There

Basically for Squampton if you google the GearJAmmer course its basically a best of Squamish BC XC singletrack. Ditto the Orecrusher

Haven't even touched Valleycliffe but to be honest i ride over there more by feel than by trail names. Its pretty convoluted