Guesswho117
    Jan 2008

Whistler In June. Should I Scrap my Plans?

Hello Everyone,

I made plans to be in Whistler on June 12 way back in December. I just didn't plan for the record amount of snow this past winter season. I've been checking the updates on the Whistler Bike Park website and it looks like there's is still a ton of snow up there. I see they are using Bobcats and shovels to dig out the trails. I know the crew is working hard to get the lower mountain ready for the opening day, May 20th but does anyone think the whole mountain will be ready to go by June 12? I'm looking at the webcam http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/wea...tler/index.htm at the top, 1850 meters and it looks like full on winter up there. I will be driving up from San Francisco and I would be really disappointed if only the lower trails were open. What does everyone think? Should I scrap this trip? I was there last August and had a blast. Unfortunately this year I wasn't able to get vacation in July or August.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    There is no way the whole mountain will be open by June. No way
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Young Downhill Biker
    I agree with LeeL, last season the top Garbanzo zone was only open for 1-2 months near the end of the season. Most of the time its just the lower part.
    Bike: 09 Norco Shore One
    Upper-Body Armour: 661 Assault
    Leg Armour: Fox Knee/Shin Gaurd
    Helmet: Bell Drop
    Contour HD GPS

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I can't remember the last time if ever the Garbanzo lift was open in June.

The lower park should keep you happy besides the lines will be less crowded in June

If you're worried about alot of trails to ride, ride some of the valley trails when you're there.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you have a car you can also ride in Pemberton and Squamish
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Guesswho117
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the input all. I'm still contemplating if I should still go or not. I'm waiting for a friend who went to opening day today to see what his thoughts are.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The Garbo zone was not scheduled to open until June 25th. With this snow it may be a limited opening but a lot can happen in a month. The Peak chair's opening has been rescheduled to end of July.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by swisscosmo View Post
    I agree with LeeL, last season the top Garbanzo zone was only open for 1-2 months near the end of the season. Most of the time its just the lower part.
    1-2 months? I guess you weren't here! End of June- Thanksgiving isn't 1-2 months, try 4 months

I'm sure they will be digging it out up there as soon as they have done all of the repairs/buffing out in the lower park. Don't expect anything until July though