mtbr member

Whistler General Info

Sorry to ask such lame questions but I've tried several times to find out what it's like up there by looking on line and I can't really find much detail and it's all pretty basic stuff that any adult living in an area should be able to rattle off in no time. I'm in the middle of the US so popping up there isn't exactly a commuter flight, so here it goes.

I'm considering the possibility of buying something in the Whistler area in order to have a place to go ride in the summer and ski in the winter. Maybe even eventually live there year round. Before I did so I would of course spend some time there but preempting all that if I could get a better picture of what it's like that would help with if it's even worth getting farther into. Like I'm not going to move to Aspen because it is too expensive and there really isn't much there except boutiques and a mountain.

So first off where exactly is the mountain compared to downtown Whistler? Is Whistler right at the foot of it like a lot of US ski towns?

What are the bike and ski seasons. I imagine there is down time both spring and fall when you can't do either.

Are the bike trails and the ski trails one in the same basically except the bike trails go more through the trees? Do they let people ski the bike trails?

How extensive and good are the XC trails? I've heard there are a lot and I would think the would have to be good. It's not like I'm going to want to have gravity assist every time I ride.

How are the amenities for daily life like restaurants, bars, movie theaters, grocery stores, bike shops, access to stuff like hardware, building materials and other things you need to live when you aren't just riding or skiing?

Any idea how many people live there year around?

What are real-estate values like? Like if I wanted a small cabin in the mountains 30 minutes or so from the mountain? Or maybe a small 1 bedroom condo with a similar commute.

Are there other little towns close by where the service people live like Carbondale is to Aspen that might be more affordable and less touristy?

Thanks for any input. Happy New Year.

ups and downs
    Whistler Maps BC Canada 1.800.WHISTLER will show you maps of the area and give you all those boring stats.

Depending where you're from in the US, you may find that the BC definition of XC trails doesn't match the XC trail description in most other places. What passes for XC in Whistler would be AM trails in most other parts of the world. Before you think about buying a place in Whistler, you would definitely want to plan a vacation there, because no verbal description will help.

You're asking the $1 million dollar question about buying a tiny place in or around Whistler. It is the Canadian version of Tahoe or Aspen for cost of living.

Whistler Listing System

Squamish is the only town in between Vancouver and Whistler. The prices for places in Squamish are slightly lower than Vancouver and Whistler.

Pemberton is just north of Whistler but has become quite expensive because it's not that far away.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    This cam is right in the village at the base of the lift & foot of the mountain.

Whistler Blackcomb - Web Cams - Whistler Village

Summer time that spot's packed with bikes.

You are about a decade behind the curve to find a spot that you can buy/live on a typical budget. I would guess though if you can afford Aspen but just don't like it then Whistler and the area would be affordable. I'd say around Squamish will give you the best deal and access to trails when you want to ride a bike.

As far as I know you can ski all year in Whistler if you get high enough. Riding season does peter out but Squamish and Vancouver are pretty close to all year, it can get a bit wet and dirty but not unmanageable

You can get groceries etc. in Whistler but for stuff like hardware or building supplies it's down to Squamish again.

ups and downs
    Vancouver is highly variable for what winter is like...

2008 Dec 28 (8 weeks of snow and cold)

Whistler General Info-2008_1227new0008.jpg

2011 Dec 27 (warm and mild up to 600m elevation)

Whistler General Info-2011_1228new0008.jpg

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Here you go - Whistler Real Estate, Whistler Residential Property

That should find you some nice starter places.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

ups and downs
    I love the places listed as having 0 or 0.5 bedrooms.

Also the fact that nothing comes up in a search between $250,000 - $1,500,000

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info.

I sent an email yesterday to a local reale-state agent but it looks like I've missed the boat. I thought about moving from NYC to Vancouver about 20 years ago but then my Dad died so I moved back to KC. Probably would have been a good time to go to VC but Whistler was probably just for skis at that point.

Oh well just checking. I do have to try and get up there to check it out.

Danke: "I would guess though if you can afford Aspen but just don't like it" Me: "I'm not going to move to Aspen because it is too expensive.."

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    My favorite saying regarding real estate goes something like this - "The best time to plant an oak tree was twenty years ago (or 30, etc) the next best time is right now"

You may have missed the initial boom in Whistler and overall prices are not reasonable but there is still opportunity.
    If you have a serious interest in the area you need to spend some quality time on the ground there.

mtbr member
    The next question is what do you want in Whistler? There are other smaller ski hills here in BC that have summer bike programs. Someplace like Kamloops, Revelstoke Vernon or Panorama would put you out in riding country with the option to visit the Whistler area still.

North Vancouver might be the real spot to start looking if Whistler is the must do. There is a huge range of property there, lots of condos and it's very bike friendly.

ups and downs
    If you have any ship building skills there will likely be a lot of job openings in North Vancouver over the next year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    The next question is what do you want in Whistler? There are other smaller ski hills here in BC that have summer bike programs. Someplace like Kamloops, Revelstoke Vernon or Panorama would put you out in riding country with the option to visit the Whistler area still.

North Vancouver might be the real spot to start looking if Whistler is the must do. There is a huge range of property there, lots of condos and it's very bike friendly.
    The draw to Whistler is that from what I have seen it seems really huge with lots of runs both DH and XC so it seems like a place you could live and not get bored with what is available.

There may be other places that are just as good but I hear a lot more about Whistler.

The XC trails being more like AM sounds like a good thing to me.

The one thing I don't think I want it most of the riding to be North Shore type where it's all moss covered brides and skinnies. I know there are lots of guys who love that stuff but I think I'm past the age limit to acquire those skills without serious bodily harm in the process.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    If you have any ship building skills there will likely be a lot of job openings in North Vancouver over the next year.
    I'm just guessing but are you referring to global warming and the possibility for rising oceans?

mtbr member
    One of the shipyard in North Van picked up a 8 Billion dollar tender to build ships for the Canadian Navy and Coast Guard.

There are lots of the old trails still in BC that are the classic style wheels on the ground style. No one's posting Youtube videos or pictures but they're out there. That's why folks are saying you should visit and try out the riding. Then you can see it all first hand.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    One of the shipyard in North Van picked up a 8 Billion dollar tender to build ships for the Canadian Navy and Coast Guard.

There are lots of the old trails still in BC that are the classic style wheels on the ground style. No one's posting Youtube videos or pictures but they're out there. That's why folks are saying you should visit and try out the riding. Then you can see it all first hand.
    I put up a thread with videos on Passion with said videos. Probably about 40+ trails over the past three years.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Just got an email from the Whistler real-estate dude. Here are a couple of things he said.

>How are the amenities for daily life like restaurants, bars, movie

theaters, grocery stores, bike shops, access to stuff like hardware,

building materials and other things you need to live when you aren't

just riding or skiing?<

>>We have a full time population of 13,000+ people so all amenities are excellent.<<

>What are real-estate values like? Like if I wanted a small cabin in the

mountains 30 minutes or so from the mountain? Or maybe a small 1 bedroom

condo with a similar commute.<

>>Pemberton is 25 minutes away and is a thriving small community. A 1 bedroom is well under $300,000<<

So that doesn't sound like as dire of a situation as you guys paint. Sure it's not 50 grand for a condo but that's nothing like Aspen or any popular city in the US.

Maybe I'll go check it out next summer. Than again when the economy comes back and I can sell something else to afford it. If I really like what I see.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    I put up a thread with videos on Passion with said videos. Probably about 40+ trails over the past three years.
    You're probably one in a million though!

ups and downs
    Pemby is definitely a thriving small community , not as fully serviced as Squamish the other direction. It has a lot of riding nearby as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whistler General Info-pemby2.jpg  

Whistler General Info-pemby1.jpg