mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Whistler... end of July? Bad date?

Hey guys...

As a south american rider I always dreamed on going to Whistler.

I have the opportunity ti spend 10 to 15 days there this year... the problems are:

I donīt wanna be there during Crankworx
    I cannot be out of office in September
    I want to ride all over the park... including Garbanzo Zone

What if I go in the end of July... then leave before Crankworx?

Is the weather too bad? Will I spend my days watching TV? Will I be able to ride Garbanzo (some people told me it can be closed because itīs too wet)?

Cheers

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Weather should be fine, some of the trails might be a bit messy from winter, but they do a lot
    of trail work early so I'd say go for it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    By late July you will probably have to worry more about dust than mud. Garbanzo usually opens late June/early July depending on snowpack, so if you come in late July Garbanzo should be beauty.

My personal preference for riding whistler is to hit the park during the weekdays when it is less busy, then ride the valley trails, Squamish or Pemberton on the weekends when the park is a sh!t show.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    ^ Depends on how much snow we get again this year. I've seen both, but from my personal experience July = still wet in places. Garbo might be open (which is 90% of why I go and I don't go unless it is).

I remember one year it didn't dry up till mid-August. The way things have been going this year, I think it'll be wet, this wonderful weather we're having right now not withstanding.

mtbr member
    end of july should be fine. 2011 was one of the deepest winters ever and garbo was open by mid july. Nothing was dry that summer it rained a lot. Last summer everything was pretty dry from july 1 until the park closed oct 8th or whatever it was.