Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Where to stay/ride Revy

Doing a trip to Revelstoke in August. Plan to ride Frisby ridge one day, have heard Keystone basin great too. We will have 2 full days and 2 half days. My SO and are decent riders, but I am slow uphill (We are from Fernie). We are planning to camp so wondering if anyone has any recommendations for where to camp. I see several private campgrounds in or just near Revy, but all the provincial campsites are quite far (but maybe good for the riding???)

any help appreciated!!

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    There are a couple of scenic sites by the Lake on the way to Keystone. Martha Creek Provincial Park. Might be busy on the weekends. We stayed at a private campground on Hwy 1 a few miles west of Revy last year. Nice spots and showers! Canada West RV

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for the response telebiker, you don't have any pics of the RV park do you? their site map makes it look like a parking lot and they don't have pics on their website. The rates are decent though at 20$ for unserviced. I hate searching around for campsites. We will be able to get there early Friday AM, but that still doesn't guarantee anything. Do you know the name of the places on the Lake? How far did you travel from Revy to most trail heads?

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    The rec sites on Lake Revelstoke are Carnes Creek and Mars Creek(?) as well as camping at Martha Creek Provincial Park. The private campground/RV park is well treed and reasonably private if you have a site along the edge. We stayed at site 5 or 6 and backed onto forest and creek with big trees for shade. The Frisby parking lot is about a 20 to 30 minute drive from RV park. Keystone Standard trailhead about 45 minutes to an hour. Both up roads which can be a bit rough and dusty in dry conditions.

mtbr member
    Will Keystone and/or Frisby be ready to go by next weekend - has anyone tried them yet this year?

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Check here, they update regularly: Trail Conditions

or call here:Contact

mtbr member

Where to stay/ride Revy

I see the conditions just got updates. My wife and I have two days and are going to try keystone on Sunday and Frisby ridge on Monday, weather and conditions permitting.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    There are a couple of scenic sites by the Lake on the way to Keystone. Martha Creek Provincial Park. Might be busy on the weekends. We stayed at a private campground on Hwy 1 a few miles west of Revy last year. Nice spots and showers! Canada West RV
    Ended up booking here, thanks for the rec, will let you know what we think!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We always camped at wadey forest service campground just up from Martha.

Here is our frisby ride from the last time we were there.
    Revelstoke ? Day 2 Frisby Ridge | Sharon and Lee - Just another day

You can search more for more of our rides.

Revy is awesome
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member

Where to stay/ride Revy

My wife and I rode in Revelstoke on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. The trails are amazing - we had a great time. On the advice of the LBS we skipped Keystone as its a long way to drive just to find a good chance of snow. We did Mt Macpherson two days the trails were perfect. On Monday we went up to Frisby Ridge for opening day there. The road up there is in rough shape. The trail near the bottom was great, but gradually had more and more snow towards the top. We turned around at about 9.5kms where there was more snow than trail. Best to wait a few weeks.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorrr View Post
    My wife and I rode in Revelstoke on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. The trails are amazing - we had a great time. On the advice of the LBS we skipped Keystone as its a long way to drive just to find a good chance of snow. We did Mt Macpherson two days the trails were perfect. On Monday we went up to Frisby Ridge for opening day there. The road up there is in rough shape. The trail near the bottom was great, but gradually had more and more snow towards the top. We turned around at about 9.5kms where there was more snow than trail. Best to wait a few weeks.
    glad you had a good time, our trip is not until the end of August so we should be safe. Where did you stay?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodiegrrl View Post
    We always camped at wadey forest service campground just up from Martha.

Here is our frisby ride from the last time we were there.
    Revelstoke ? Day 2 Frisby Ridge | Sharon and Lee - Just another day

You can search more for more of our rides.

Revy is awesome
    Wadey looks really nice. We are hoping to get there late Thursday night now. Do you think we will have any problems getting a site there?

I also noticed your downhill ride on Martha Creek. worth bringing downhill bikes? or would our trail bikes do? Did you have cars for a shuttle? or arrange one through a bike shop?

all those bike trips and you haven't been to Fernie yet! You must

mtbr member

Where to stay/ride Revy

I stayed at the Swiss Chalet motel. The rooms were a bit small but clean and nice, and they had make your own waffles for breakfast which is hard to beat when you're riding. I would recommend it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you get there early on Thursday you might get a site closer to the lake.

Martha is getting pretty beat, so the bigger the bike the better, DH bike might be overkill but fun, a 6X6 with beefy tires will do. We managed to get the volvoxc up there, another friend wouldn't take his car up. We've only done Martha with two vehicles, one for retrieval.

we rode Fernie about 10+ years ago, we do need to get there again, Rossland too...
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodiegrrl View Post
    If you get there early on Thursday you might get a site closer to the lake.

Martha is getting pretty beat, so the bigger the bike the better, DH bike might be overkill but fun, a 6X6 with beefy tires will do. We managed to get the volvoxc up there, another friend wouldn't take his car up. We've only done Martha with two vehicles, one for retrieval.

we rode Fernie about 10+ years ago, we do need to get there again, Rossland too...
    Definitely won't be early Thursday, more like 9 or 10pm. Have a spot reserved elsewhere not sure whether to cancel. Nothing worse than rolling in late and having no where to set up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorrr View Post
    Will Keystone and/or Frisby be ready to go by next weekend - has anyone tried them yet this year?
    Rode Frisby yesterday and conditions were excellent. Very dry for the most part with only one section of trail still covered in snow. It was about 20 feet of trail right at the top before you drop down to the lakes.

There were a couple spots going down to the lakes where there was a bit of runoff but very minor. You could see some of the old wet spots referred to earlier that are now a bit rutted out also but they were dry.

Finished up yesterday just before a rain storm went through which would have certainly helped settle the dust on the road up.

mtbr member
    Forgot to mention that the bugs (black flies and horse flies) were horrible. Regular Off didn't seem to do anything which, IIRC, isn't surprising as I don't think it is supposed to be effective against these insects. Be prepared to keep moving at a decent pace and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamer19 View Post
    Forgot to mention that the bugs (black flies and horse flies) were horrible. Regular Off didn't seem to do anything which, IIRC, isn't surprising as I don't think it is supposed to be effective against these insects. Be prepared to keep moving at a decent pace and you'll be fine.
    Thanks for the heads up, will bring the high deet content spray and the screen tent for camping. Hopefully they die off a bit in the next few weeks!!

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cleopatra999 View Post
    glad you had a good time, our trip is not until the end of August so we should be safe. Where did you stay?
    We'll be staying at the Canada West August 29,30 and 31. Maybe we can hook up for a ride or a beer?

mtbr member
    Everyone here, please keep posting about the conditions, my wife and I are leaving Montreal the last day of August to go ride in Western Canada and Revelstoke was on my to-do list. We'll probably get our legs moving in Canmore after a few straight days of driving...

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    If anyone here is going to be in the area from August 29 to sept 2, my wife and I would like to hook up to set up a shuttle. Let me know!

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    What do you want to shuttle? Martha Creek? We'll be in Revy Thursday afternoon til Sunday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    What do you want to shuttle? Martha Creek? We'll be in Revy Thursday afternoon til Sunday.
    I was thinking Martha. I haven't ridden it yet but it looks to be good. Still trying to nail down some details though.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just finished riding Revy for 3 days. Was supposed to be 5 but we got rained out. Stayed at Wadey prov Rec site. It was beautiful, cheap and not too far from town.

We rode Frisby and 2 days in McPherson. The clouds didn't lift enough to do keystone. So we will have to return!! McPherson was some of the most fun you can have on wheels! Grab a free trail map from any of the bike shops. If any one wants loop advice for that area let me know we did some fun ones.

The trails are getting a lot of rain right now. Keep an eye on the weather if your goal is to get into the high alpine areas.

mtbr member
    I was in Revelstoke 3 weeks ago. Rode Frisby Ridge, Macpherson, Keystone and Martha Creek. Conditions were great, had a very good time.

Frisby Ridge:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast