Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Where should we move? From Europe to BC.

Will move from northern Europe to Canada for a year, with a couple of months to go we are starting to wonder where to. Almost certain we want to live in the BC area, not directly in Vancouver though.

We are in our early 20, would like have near access to both Vancouver and outside life, especially mtbing. Not so important is the night life, but we like to meet people to make friends.

I've got my work background in industrial work and some forrest work, like planting and thining.

She works as visual merchandiser at interior design shop.

+ If its quite easy to get job, not necessary the same as we got now.
    + If apartments are affordable.
    + Good or great mtb
    + Good social life

Any suggestions? We been looking at Squamish.

Best regards.

mixed martial biker
    Jun 2010
    i would think anywhere on Vancouver Island would be perfect from what you have described.

GOT ME A 29ER!!!
    Mar 2011
    Check out Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast. It has amazing mtbing and I think it may fit your other needs. +its where I am from!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Squamish has the best bang for your buck when it comes to real estate so rent should be cheaper than Vancouver or Whistler. Advice??.. Bring money with you. The livin' ain't cheap where you be wanting to live.

You can day trip Whistler or Vancouver by Greyhound. Both are about an hour away.

The MTB trails are great. I've only ridden around there once. There's a great intermediate flowy trail called Half Nelson.

If you're going to live in Squamish you have to start rock climbing. It's got to be the best place on earth to climb (Sorry other places but I love Western Canada!). There's every type of climbing in Squamish. You can even climb outside when it rains by Murrin Lake. There's a crag that sits under a big overhang.

Good luck whatever you decide!
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the replies, I've checked those places out and around Victoria seems to meet our needs the best though Sechelt sounds wonderful, maybe we can come for a quick visit

I've tried rock climbing and it just wasn't my thing.

Yes the money issue, it's a little more expensive to live in Canada then here, but as a couple I figure we manage sometime with 10-14K(cad) for sometime, until we get started.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Checked the exchange course and closer to 14 K then 10 we will bring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    2nd July we travel 16 hours by plane, and arrive 16:30 at Vancouver airport! =)

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    These guys updated their info:

http://mountainbikingbc.ca/

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Victoria's got some good trails but the ferry ride to the mainland is pretty long. Check it out before you sign a lease.

Sounds like you guys are bringing enough cash. That's really smart. You should think about Whistler or Pemberton with that kind of bank roll.

July's the best time to start riding in BC. The weather's dry so you don't have worry about traction on the skinnies. The trails usually aren't real wet til mid September.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    "While there was little employment change in British Columbia in February, the unemployment rate for the province increased 0.6 percentage points to 8.8%, the result of more people entering the labour force in search of work."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...vey-text-.html

http://www.bcstats.gov.bc.ca/pubs/lfs/lfsdata.pdf

http://www.bcstats.gov.bc.ca/data/lss/lfs/ur1102.pdf

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++

British Columbia's Rental Market: Survey Highlights

* Strong demand for rental accommodation coupled with limited rental construction resulted in rents moving higher.

* The average apartment vacancy rate in British Columbia's centres with populations of 10,000 or more people was 1.1 per cent in April 2008, down from 1.2 per cent last April.

* The average rent for a two bedroom apartment in British Columbia was $921 in April 2008.

* Vancouver posted the highest average rent for a two bedroom apartment at $1,071 per month, followed by Victoria at $900.

* Victoria and Kelowna tied for the lowest vacancy rate among the four large urgan centres, at just 0.3 per cent. Vancouver's vacancy rate was unchanged at 0.9 per cent.

http://www.britishcolumbia-propertie...d=243&Itemid=9

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Vacancy rate means the percent of apartments available ?

So any other suggestions, now that Victoria is bashed on, hehe

Kamloops?

Just hit me with suggestions!

Right now I got on the list:

Sechelt
    Vancouver Island
    Squamish
    Whistler ( though it's probably to expensive and hard to come by a steady work)
    Pemberton ( Yet to look at)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Don't count Whistler out! You have a good bank roll. Plus you're getting into town when rent's at it's cheapest. Most six month rentals will want to start May 1st. So start looking now even if you're trying to get a year long lease starting in July.

Check out http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/pique/index.php. Pique is a local paper where you might be able to find a place to stay and a job. Look through the paper then tell me if you think Whistler's out of your price range.

The interior of BC such as Kamloops will be much cheaper. I've suggested places like Golden and Invermere to people saying they didn't have any savings. You better be serious about that no night life thing.

One last thing check out worca.com.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MendelMu
    Sechelt
    Vancouver Island
    Squamish
    Whistler ( though it's probably to expensive and hard to come by a steady work)
    Pemberton ( Yet to look at)
    It ain't gonna' be easy to find steady work in any of those places.

You're not from a Commonwealth nation so you don't qualify for a work permit, how are you planning to dance around the legalities of working in country?

Under the table? As you can see from above PDF's there's lots of competition, be prepared to be used...................

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Homless junkie: Yeah, my friend who is coming on later on the fall would love whistler 'cause of skiing! So that would be a dream. About the night life, well, we do like to party, so non at at all would be a bummer. I look in to it more later when I got some time on my hand, off to help a friend now. Thanks for the help!

Tungsten: Thanks for your concern, its like this;

I got youth work permit, between age of 18 - 30 you can apply for a work visa for a year.
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng
    They give out like 500 of these every year in my country.

So all I got to do is get temporary social security number when get to Canada, so no illegalities, it could and probably would get me kicked out of the country.

By used you mean work hard with low pay? If so, it sound just like the work I got now With the government take over 30% of my paycheck, working 12 hour shifts at a plant, traveling for almost 2 hours a day to work and back....haha, I will love it.

Thnx for the replies! Keep it up!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey Tungsten I'm suprised to hear you think it's so hard to get a work visa in Canada. I don't know first hand but I was always told it was easy to get a work visa as long as you weren't from the states LOL.

Mendelmu you should have told me you had a friend coming in the winter! Here's what you do. You and your girl get a six month lease this summer then when rent gets higher the three of you (You, your girl and your buddy) get a place for the last six months. It's always cheaper the more heads that go in on a place. I'll warn you now if you start to living in Whistler you'll never leave. Wait til you see how many people you'll meet who have this story to tell you. "I came to live in Whistler for one winter and ended up staying here the last two or three or four etc. etc. years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    They give out like 500 of these every year in my country.
    Unlimited in Commonwealth countrys I believe.

government take over 30% of my paycheck
    Bonus, I think you get your Canadian withholdings back when you leave.

I was always told it was easy to get a work visa as long as you weren't from the states
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Haha my friend hurt his knee at Chamonix yesterday, thats what you get for going to the alps without me!

What about staying at williams lake for the summer?

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Lots of good riding near Williams Lake and further west on the Chilcotin Plateau. It's a long way from "civilization" though, what else would you be doing there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    .....What about staying at williams lake for the summer?
    Don't do this to yourself. Certainly don't do it to your woman friend.

Unless of course you're nightlife consists of smoking crystal meth or huffing gasoline..............

Sure, go visit there to do some riding but you should consider basing yourself in such places like:
    Vangroovy
    Victoria
    Las Whistler
    Kelowna
    Nelson

and maybe, I dunno', smaller places like Fernie or Smithers.........
    Last edited by tungsten; 03-17-2011 at 09:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Haha, ok, no Williams lake then.

Bought lonely planets travel guide, the superlatives hails over Vancouver island.

How's living/working/mtb there with out a car? Because we are only allowed use our drivers license the first 3 months..
    So is there good buss connections and is possible to do day trips to Vancouver?

Also, i'm looking to do AM riding..
    Last edited by MendelMu; 03-23-2011 at 09:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Haha, ok, no Williams lake then.

Bought lonely planets travel guide, the superlatives hails over Vancouver island.

How's living/working/mtb there with out a car? Because we are only allowed use our drivers license the first 3 months..
    So is there good buss connections and is possible to do day trips to Vancouver?

Also, i'm looking to do AM riding..
    Why are you gonna' only ride in the morning? Planning on being a dishwasher in a sports bar?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    hhhaha, mean't all mountain!

ups and downs
    Pretty much everything out here is AM style riding, except for a few less gnarly trails here and there. But compared to what Californians think of MTB riding, everything is AM. A Blue square trail here is like black diamond in most other areas of the continent.

Train and bus transit is generally poor unless you live in reasonably close proximity to where you work, or happen to live near a Sky Train or Canada Line station and happen to have a job near one on the train line, once you add a bus in, you're almost always better off riding to work.

http://www.translink.ca/

Try to plan a few transit trips using their Trip Planner.

Here's the rest of the province

http://www.transitbc.com/
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten
    Why are you gonna' only ride in the morning? Planning on being a dishwasher in a sports bar?
    Dude that deserves to be someone's quote down at the bottom of every reply. That's a great play on words LOL!!

Mendel.. Yo MendelMu I told you W-H-I-S-T-L-E-R. You'll thank me after the first weekend you get out and ride.

AM riding?.. Two words for you. Whistler Valley. Research the trails there. Have you looked at any of the links I posted?

..and I'll tell you again the ferry to and from the mainland is long. If you decided to ride Seymour and you were living in Victoria it would take all day to travel there, ride and get back

I know I'm being pushy so I just want to say good luck with your trip where ever you decide.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I hate that ferry ride!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast