mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Where to ride in Nelson and area.

I'm moving out west to Nelson, BC (or somewhere nearby), and am curious about the local XC riding scene. I'll check out the bike shops and talk to the locals when I get there, of course, but I'd like to hear what folks here have to say as well.

I've been to Panorama and Whistler a few times, but that was strictly for moderate downhilling (green and blue, mostly, with the occasional foray into black). I'm maybe an intermediate rider in my 40's who has a healthy respect for my own safety, so crazy @ss descents and stunts are probably not in my best interest. In case it matters, I'm riding a Giant AC with 5" travel front and rear.

From what I've read on the internet so far, it looks like I'll be driving a ways to get to some XC trails. I'm cool with that, but am hoping not to spend half my day behind the wheel, like I do here in Manitoba.

Recommendations on trails / bike shops / people I should talk to / clubs I should join?

Many thanks

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Nelson Cycling Club; Nelson Cycling Club: About the Nelson Cycling Club (NCC)

Good riding at Svoboda and Kokanee in Nelson. Lots of intermediate riding in Rossland. Super fun trails in New Denver. Plenty of XC within an hour's drive.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    Nelson Cycling Club; Nelson Cycling Club: About the Nelson Cycling Club (NCC)

Good riding at Svoboda and Kokanee in Nelson. Lots of intermediate riding in Rossland. Super fun trails in New Denver. Plenty of XC within an hour's drive.
    But not a lot locally. Nelson riding is one-dimensional
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    the smallwood trails in beasley are great. also little loops like expresso, honey, shasta on mountain station. go buy a map book in town, i guess they just released a new one with a ton more trails in it.