mtbr member
    May 2005

what bike to chillcotins? xc or am?

Hi
    Im heading to chillcotins this summer, I woudl like to know if I should take my 27pounds xc bike or my 35 pounds Am bike. I have never been there but I have heard no technical trails there and lots of uphill. Is that right?
    thanks

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    XC bike for sure. The single track descents are perfect for an XC bike. And the climbs would truly be miserable on a big bike. There is no way I would ride a 35lb bike there and I am a bit fitter then the average bear.

Last year I did it on a 4 and 4 XC bike with a Fox-Talas on front. My only complaint is at 26lbs the bike was a bit heavy for the long climbs. This year I am taking a 5 and 5 bike, but it comes in at 23.5lbs. Best of both worlds.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Definitely xc. Bring spare derailleur hangers. Something that can be hike-a-biked easily. No question
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

I just wanna ride my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Definitely xc. Bring spare derailleur hangers. Something that can be hike-a-biked easily.
    Ditto especially the derailleur hanger - my hubby would have had an extremely long walk if he hadn't been carrying a spare on a multi-day backcountry trip in that area.

Also bring your big set of lungs and a camera.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TheotherH View Post
    Ditto especially the derailleur hanger - my hubby would have had an extremely long walk if he hadn't been carrying a spare on a multi-day backcountry trip in that area.

Also bring your big set of lungs and a camera.

Why???

If you bust an RD all you do is single speed the bike (cut the chain to length).

Might be pushing some hills you would otherwise ride but the time diff isn't much.

ups and downs
    Hard to single speed a full suspension bike without a derailleur as a chain tensioner.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Why???

If you bust an RD all you do is single speed the bike (cut the chain to length).

Might be pushing some hills you would otherwise ride but the time diff isn't much.
    Depending on the full suspension bike, the chain growth as it goes through the travel can be considerable. (You can SS a HT or URT or concentric pivot FS bikes)

Long ago a friend did that to a FS bike and crushed his middle chain ring adding to his bike part carnage for the day.

In addition to a hanger, I'd also suggest carrying a derailleur. Carry a short piece of chain and a couple of split links.

As mentioned above, I brushed against the side of a ditch/horse crossing a creek and proceeded to wrap both the derailleur around the cassette and bend the hanger over far enough that the cassette would no longer spin. The chain had a couple of good kinks.

To fix the issue, I used all of the spare parts mentioned above.

I'm guessing it would probably have taken 2 to 3 days to walk out of there.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
    Depending on the full suspension bike, the chain growth as it goes through the travel can be considerable. (You can SS a HT or URT or concentric pivot FS bikes)

Long ago a friend did that to a FS bike and crushed his middle chain ring adding to his bike part carnage for the day. Didn't set it up right

In addition to a hanger, I'd also suggest carrying a derailleur.Naw Carry a short piece of chain and a couple of split links.You bet

As mentioned above, I brushed against the side of a ditch/horse crossing a creek and proceeded to wrap both the derailleur around the cassette and bend the hanger over far enough that the cassette would no longer spin. The chain had a couple of good kinks.

To fix the issue, I used all of the spare parts mentioned above.

I'm guessing it would probably have taken 2 to 3 days to walk out of there.
    Well don't know what the problem is....

We have done it with a RMB Instinct (Element)....and a Specialized Bike forget what model...

Both have chain growth....geez you just pick a gearing that will work mount it and ride...

In both cases we thought the chain might come off...but it didn't....you do ride smooth of course.

As far as lugging around a spare RD go for it....we have done some long rides as well. Walk outs well over several days.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Hard to single speed a full suspension bike without a derailleur as a chain tensioner.
    Nope really quite easy.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I should add it is usually quite easy to jam a stick or something into the suspension links to help prevent movement....