mtbr member
    Jun 2010

We have 2-3 days after BC Bike Race, suggestions?

Hi
    We are coming to BC from Switzerland for the BC Bike Race (this is my third time), ending in Whistler on the 7th of July.
    We might have up to 3 days after the race, giving ourselves one day rest in Whisler, would be nice to see a bit more, with our bikes of course.
    Any suggestion? Could be even overnight in a tent or float plane... no DH as we know already the Whistler trails.
    We will have a rental car, the only limit is to be in Vancouver airport at noon on the 11th July.
    Any local suggestion?
    I can trade it for a guided tour afterwards in the Swiss Alps.
    Cheers

ups and downs
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks
    I had already a look at the Tyax website but it looks like yo have to get a guide and use their resort. It was not our idea. Would be nice just be left at a remote lake with a map and make our way back to the car in a couple of days by ourselves.
    Pemberton sounds nice, never been there, yet.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    squamish?

ups and downs
    If you're up for the climb, you can ride up to Spruce Lake instead of taking the float plane.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Rock, the climb over Windy Pass to Spruce might be a bit much carrying overnight gear, if that is what you are suggesting. Does Tyax still do gear drops on Spruce Lake?

Spruce Lake could be done in a long day with a vehicle shuttle up to the Taylor trailhead and returning via Gun Creek. An alternate day trip would be Taylor, Eldorado Basin and out via Camel Pass? Or this trip:

Chilcotin Day 3

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Just realized that due to above average snowpack this year that snow might still be covering the trails in the Chilcotin in early July.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Gruezi

I can show you guys around. Swiss were so good to me when I was in Valais and Graubunden it seems the right thing to do. I am the guy who wrote the 3 week Pinkbike story about travelling in the Swiss alps

If you only have 3 days maybe stay local and ride the woods in Squamish or Whistler. I can get you guys pretty high alpine in the Whistler Pemberton area without needing to go 3 hours N to the Chilcotin.. But to be honest I don't think what will impress someone from Schweiz is alpine (you have lots of that there) but maybe trails that are empty of people but in the woods?

Mike - the passes are clearing. Their snow year was pretty average

Where are you guys from?
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Atta boy, Lee! Givin' back. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks LeeL, that would be amazing!
    We live in the Jura foothills, at front of the Geneva Lake.
    I have seen your articles in Pinkbike, I know some of the rides you did and it looks like you had good guides, well chosen.
    I believe every cow thinks that that grass is greener at the neighbor's field, I mostly get impressed in BC from the quantity of bike purpose trails, in Europe we ride mostly trails that have been here for ages build by farmers, pedestrians, hunters.... but you ride trails for riders build by riders, a big difference.
    We would really appreciate your help, indeed you know the kind of riding we are used to....but, we would be happy with any nice trail you recommend.
    Can I send you a PM with my email?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Sure - please do send a PM and I can make sure we have the times/dates
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    After 7 days of having your mind blown by West Coast single track you might be into something a little bit faster and smoother. If you decided to come to Kamloops and ride let me know and I could show you around.

I have done a bit of riding in your neck of the wood but most of it was limited to laps of the WC course at Champery. Not the best way to explore what a country has to offer for riding.
    Last edited by LMN; 05-19-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    You are right about Champéry, not the best to start with probably.
    Thanks for the offer, I wish we had more time, I was once in Kamloops and it is a beautiful place, but it sounds like a lot of driving for two days (you know euros, we are used to short distances )

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by genuflektor View Post
    You are right about Champéry, not the best to start with probably.
    Thanks for the offer, I wish we had more time, I was once in Kamloops and it is a beautiful place, but it sounds like a lot of driving for two days (you know euros, we are used to short distances )
    The funny thing is Whistler is a day trip for me.

I am looking forward to going riding in Switzerland again. This summer I am going to spend a couple of weeks in French Alps, but I don't think I will be making it to Switzerland. Maybe next year.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine