Thread: Vancouver Visit

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Vancouver Visit

I will be coming to Vancouver for work at the end of July. I will only be in town for one day. I am wondering if it will be worth it to try and make it up to Whistler for an afternoon/evening ride session. I would have to rent a car and pay for bike rental and lift ticket. I get in around noon and leave noon the next day. I am a strong intermediate rider and have riden all over Utah and Nevada. I don't want to miss the opportunity to ride Whistler if it is really as good as it looks, especially since work is paying my way. I just want to make sure the drive up and all the expense is worth going for just one afternoon. I guess I'm looking for someone with experience at Whistler to give me the push I need to plan on doing it. Thanks in advance.

ups and downs
    If traffic goes smoothly it's about 90 minutes of drive time each way, or could be a couple of hours if there's a problem on the road somewhere.

If the weather is warm and dry, it could be worth the trip, if it's been wet and you're used to riding in desert conditions, the wet roots and rocks could be an extra painful challenge as there is a fair bit of rocks and roots and wood bridges.

A shorter trip would be to Squamish, about 50 minutes from Vancouver and lots of loamy XC and AM to ride, if you wanted to spend less time in the car and more on the bike.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like I might be better off going to Squamish just for times sake. No matter what, I am excited at the prospect of checking out the local trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Stay in Vancouver and check out endlessbiking.com
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah, I'm set up to stay in Vancouver. I put out an info request to Endless Biking and Different Bikes to see if I can get a rental bike. I was hoping to ride into the evening but it looks like both shops close at 6:00. My plane doesn't get into Vancouver until 12:30 so I am looking at best, 3 1/2 or 4 hours of riding. No matter, I'm convinced I need to experience what riding in BC is like.

mtbr member
    Riding 3-8ish at whistler bikepark would be pretty sweet, but that's a hectic visit lol. There's a deal for rental+lift ticket for the evening (3:30 onwards) and it's a sweet drive... I'd d say do it you'll get more riding in than pedaling up in van or squamish and you don't have to worry about finding the trails. I used to live in Victoria and did day trips to whistler once in awhile which is ~5 hour trip so 1.5-2 hrs is worth it lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm pretty sure four hours would do it for you. I would also check and see if you could get a guided tour. Fromme and Seymour trails are level above lots of other places. The first time I rode the shore I had on an XC helmet and shin guards. As I pedal up the fire road on Fromme I see people with DH bikes, full face helmets and armor. Darren kept me safe that day but damn.. I was sketched out! Haha..

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    Riding 3-8ish at whistler bikepark would be pretty sweet, but that's a hectic visit lol. There's a deal for rental+lift ticket for the evening (3:30 onwards) and it's a sweet drive... I'd d say do it you'll get more riding in than pedaling up in van or squamish and you don't have to worry about finding the trails. I used to live in Victoria and did day trips to whistler once in awhile which is ~5 hour trip so 1.5-2 hrs is worth it lol
    Harbour Air would get you there in less time!!.. if you're a baller. Haha..

mtbr member
    Harbour air sometimes has last minute deals that are totally worth it

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Stick to the Shore, rent a bike and find a guide. Maximize your bike time. If you are a strong intermediate you will have a blast! Somebody help this guy out!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks everyone for your input. I think that with my limited time frame I will end up sticking to the North Shore area. I'm set up to rent a sweet Rocky Mountain Altitude from Different Bikes. I am truly stoked to be able to go riding at all on this trip so I'll be looking to make the most of my time. If anyone in going riding next Tuesday afternoon/evening in the North Shore area, send me a shout out and maybe we can hook up.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Sticking to the North SHore is a good choice!
    It will give you more time to ride and less sitting in traffic.
    Getting around Vancouver during the day can suck!
    Have a great ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    These comments may be too late, but if they get to you in time my suggestion is to get your bike, go to Fromme (get off at the Mountain Highway exit in North Van) and continue up Mountain Highway until you reach Coleman Street (not allowed to park higher up the mountain than this). Park the car. Get on bike and ride up mountain highway and talk to some riders when you run into them, most people are friendly. If you don't see anyone, ride past the first switchback and just before the second switch back is Bobsled (on your left). This is a good trail to get started on and one of the easier ones on the mountain.

Have Fun!!