mtbr member

Vancouver trails to make my wife interested in MTB =)

Hi!
    So I'm trying to make my wife a little more interested in MTB. She is a beginner and so far she doesn't seem too excited about it.
    I'm looking for good trails to fit her skill level. It should be within 2 hours drive from Vancouver. One hour would be even better though.
    So far we did most of SFU trails and some of them were a bit hard for her (some parts of Gear Jammer). We never did the Nicole's though. She shouldn't handle it.
    We did Easy Does It and Crank It Up in Whistler bike park and the latter was a bit too dangerous for her I think.
    Then we did Briddle Path on the North Shore and climbs were a bit too steep and technical for her and descent was a bit too rough.
    What I'm looking for now is an MTB analog of Stawamus Chief hike in Squamish - easy but spectacular. I want a trail with easy climbs, easy descents but excellent scenery.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I haven't ridden the UBC endowment lands for a number of years but recall those would be well-suited. I rode the Lost Lake trails in Whistler this fall with my wife who hasn't ridden much the past few years and she really like those as an intermediate rider.

ups and downs
    Stick to the green trails until she whips up the enthusiasm on her own to tackle blue trails. It's possible that she won't ever have the enthusiasm for risk taking and excitement on a bike. But you need to take that hit on excitement now to avoid making her hate it before she gets a chance to like it. This is almost as risky as teaching your wife to drive.

There's beginner level all season trails in the Lower Seymour Conservation Conserve in North Van that start just north of the cemetery beyond Capilano U, they connect to the Baden Powell and Richard Juryn. There's also the middle of the Richard Juryn Trail in there, but it has some more challenging climb and descent sections that might not be her cup of tea. There's Fisherman's Trail that runs along the Seymour river north of the LSCR parking lot. About 6km of fairly flat trail and you can continue onto the east branch gravel service road most of the way up to the Seymour dam. It's almost 13km one way, some nice scenery along the way.

They have just reworked Bobsled on Mt.Fromme to make it a green trail with some wider woodwork and less steep sections, if she enjoys the new school flowy bermy stuff that may be an option. Roadside Attraction is a green trail, starting near the water tower on Mountain Highway.

In Squamish, Jack's Trail from the south end of the Alice Lake parking lot is nice loamy fun with just enough twists to keep it from being a walk in the park. On the south end it connects up to Coho Park with some nice green trails (and some blue and black in there, so you don't want to take her out on the wrong exit). Branching off Jack's is the 50 Shades of Green climbing trail, not too steep or technical, a good workout and it connects to other trails on the way up (and some blue/black as well). At the top of the Alice Lake area, there's Rob's & Cliff's corners, which never fails to amuse anyone that rides them, they can be accessed from the Forestry road, you don't have to climb Rock and Roll Bypass.

On the west side of the highway from the Alice Lake Park turnoff, there's a whole nest of trails that are quite flat for elevation and not overly technical that have minimal consequences for riding errors. On the east side along the highway there's Wonderland which is a blue trail but it has quite a few roots, rocks and short wood bridges, but not very much elevation change so less intimidating. You can still fall into a creek crossing or crash on some roots, but less speed means less damage.

You might also want to hook her up with some of the North Van shop rides for ladies who aren't gonzo freeriders. Endless Biking does some beginner courses too so the ladies are more comfortable learning with other gals of similar skill level.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    This is almost as risky as teaching your wife to drive
    Haha, this is the best =)

Thanks a lot guys! We will try out those trails. I like the idea of the Bobsled and the UBC endowment lands must be nice. And of course Squamish.

mtbr member
    Take her up to seymour conservation forest.
    You can ride up to hydraulic connector and down fisherman's trail. Awesome views says trail.
    Theres also circuit 8 , thompson and Richard Juryn
    xc trail there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbleGum View Post
    Hi!
    So I'm trying to make my wife a little more interested in MTB. She is a beginner and so far she doesn't seem too excited about it.
    I'm looking for good trails to fit her skill level. It should be within 2 hours drive from Vancouver. One hour would be even better though.
    So far we did most of SFU trails and some of them were a bit hard for her (some parts of Gear Jammer). We never did the Nicole's though. She shouldn't handle it.
    We did Easy Does It and Crank It Up in Whistler bike park and the latter was a bit too dangerous for her I think.
    Then we did Briddle Path on the North Shore and climbs were a bit too steep and technical for her and descent was a bit too rough.
    What I'm looking for now is an MTB analog of Stawamus Chief hike in Squamish - easy but spectacular. I want a trail with easy climbs, easy descents but excellent scenery.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'll trade you. You can take my girlfriend mountain biking, and your wife can go shopping for shoes or whatever indoor girls do while I go riding with my friends. Be careful what you wish for my friend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Sumas mountain, abbotsford.
    Trail name; Squid line. its a green run, super buff and flowy. fun for everyone from beginner to expert. Fire road climb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    Sumas mountain, abbotsford.
    Trail name; Squid line. its a green run, super buff and flowy. fun for everyone from beginner to expert. Fire road climb.
    Yup squidline. as soon as the snow goes

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm not the OP. but thanks for the replies - I am looking for the same things. I'm trying to figure out where all the people in Vancouver who buy XC hardtails ride them??? Seriously. Where do most Vancouverites go for 'low risk' fun on the trail?

ups and downs
    Pretty much all the blue and green trails on the north shore are hardtail friendly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I took my new-rider, cautious son for a morning of green runs last summer: Bobsled, Upper and Lower Griffen, Roadside Attraction, King of the Shore. That went over about as well as a trip to the dentist. I realized that even on 'green' runs like Griffen, there just wasn't anywhere for a newcomer to gather themselves and relax/enjoy for a while. I'm trying to find somewhere with nice smooth buff trails (that you see on so many MTBR videos) that will generate a little stoke in an uber cautious wife and son. Kind of like taking them in powder for the first time on a trail mellow enough so that it doesn't really matter if they turn or not. It sounds like some of those Squamish runs might do the trick. Thanks.

ups and downs
    Once they get used to rolling on dirt, Circuit 8 in the Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve has a couple of great loops where the trail is relatively flat for elevation, the technical trail surface (roots) and features (low bridges with 4"-12" height) are quite relentless but of fairly low consequence, so it is good practice for finding and maintaining momentum in that sort of trail condition. Just don't take them on this trail when it's been wet, the roots and bridges will just be intimidating. And shin pads to avoid being bear trapped by a pedal is a good idea for newbies.

mtbr member
    Squamish is a lot of work. You earn your turn i.e. a LOT of climbing for those "buff" trails..

Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    I took my new-rider, cautious son for a morning of green runs last summer: Bobsled, Upper and Lower Griffen, Roadside Attraction, King of the Shore. That went over about as well as a trip to the dentist. I realized that even on 'green' runs like Griffen, there just wasn't anywhere for a newcomer to gather themselves and relax/enjoy for a while. I'm trying to find somewhere with nice smooth buff trails (that you see on so many MTBR videos) that will generate a little stoke in an uber cautious wife and son. Kind of like taking them in powder for the first time on a trail mellow enough so that it doesn't really matter if they turn or not. It sounds like some of those Squamish runs might do the trick. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I just did those trails last week as well as floppy bunny. Boblsed is the tits and griffen was very "shore like" awesome.
    We just don't have easy buff trails here. I took a fellow from england on some trails by my house (circuit 8, john thompsen and stoner) he said in england they would have said they were unrideable.
    Out green trails are like the blue trails anywhere else etc. Kind of like in surfing everybody measure wave height at the face except Hawaians they measure it on the back side so a 10 footer Hawaiian wave =20ft anywhere else..

Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post

mtbr member
    Circuit 8 = classic BC style trail. My home turf.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Once they get used to rolling on dirt, Circuit 8 in the Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve has a couple of great loops where the trail is relatively flat for elevation, the technical trail surface (roots) and features (low bridges with 4"-12" height) are quite relentless but of fairly low consequence, so it is good practice for finding and maintaining momentum in that sort of trail condition. Just don't take them on this trail when it's been wet, the roots and bridges will just be intimidating. And shin pads to avoid being bear trapped by a pedal is a good idea for newbies.

ups and downs
    The trails on the North Shore that are smooth and flowy are almost always punctuated by things that are more complicated. The trails around Hyannis on the lower skirt of Seymour are easy enough, but very limited in length before you hit more complicated stuff leading off of it.

One of the most satisfying stretches of North Shore XC single track is a trail connecting the East Branch and Suicide Branch roads east off of Fisherman's Trail over the bridge to East Branch. It's everything you want in prime BC XC singletrack, except length, it's only 100m of trail. But it is a beautiful bit of trail.

Vancouver trails to make my wife interested in MTB =)-2012_0401new0015-002.jpg
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 03-07-2014 at 10:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Delta watershed is always good for beginners and up. Lots of variety with minimum climbing and can work on skills al! Over

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skihillguy View Post
    Delta watershed is always good for beginners and up. Lots of variety with minimum climbing and can work on skills al! Over
    Thanks! I'll head over and check it out. Never been there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'd add another recommendation for Cliff's/Rob's Corners in Squamish for the timid beginner. A loop there got my gf hooked, and now she has advanced to solid blues. It took a while before she could ride anything on the Shore.

The Corners can be tied in with Bob McIntosh Trail to a climb (or push up) Rock and Roll. Then follow with Roller Coaster (though the switchbacks at the end can be intimidating) then Jack's Trail back to Alice Lake.

Another beautifully scenic yet easy trail in the same area is Four Lakes Trail, but it's closed to bikers I believe from May 15 - Sep 15.

Pseudo Tseuga just up the hill is a good next step.

For more challenge, Lost Lake in Whistler is a good option and very low commitment since the singletrack merges with gravel path bypasses every few 100 m. It's easy to take a break and regroup while cruising the gravel if things are going south.