mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Vancouver riding in Jan/Feb

Hi guys. Wondering if I could get some local opinions/advice. I am coming to Vancouver for work at the end of January. I am wondering if it is possible or reasonable to ride around Vancouver at that time. Are there any areas that would be better than others, weatherwise? North Shore, Vancouver Island, etc? AM/FR/DH type areas preferred. I am thinking of riding the various areas on the North Shore, but if somewhere is likely to have better conditions, then I am open to suggestions.

I know its not an ideal time for riding, but I moved to Australia 5 years ago and have not been on a trip to Vancouver in about 6 years. While I am over there, I feel like I must get some rides in!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I want to make the most out of the few days I have there.

Thanks
    James

ups and downs
    In North Vancouver you'd likely be on trails below about 400m at that time of year, there can be a lot of snow up higher, and it's possible there can be a lot of snow down as low as 100m. We won't know 'til we get there. It will be a crap shoot.

Here's photos from roughly 130m-150m elevation all taken near the end of January over the past 6 years. Definitely a crap shoot.

Vancouver riding in Jan/Feb-2007_0116dissy0001.jpg

Vancouver riding in Jan/Feb-2008_0129new0008.jpg

Vancouver riding in Jan/Feb-2009_0130new0001.jpg

Vancouver riding in Jan/Feb-2010_0127new0007.jpg

Vancouver riding in Jan/Feb-2011_0123new0006.jpg

Vancouver riding in Jan/Feb-2012_0127new0001.jpg
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 12-26-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Great, thanks for the info. Pictures are worth 1000 words. Guess I will skip bringing my bike and just rent locally if I get lucky enough to be able to ride. Fingers crossed as I am dying to ride there again. There is nothing even close to trails like that in Australia.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    If you're heading out to Vancouver island check out vimb.com We're closer to the ocean and with the westerlies it brings warmer salty ocean air that keeps the snow to a minimum. And when we do get it, it usually only lasts a couple days. It can still be a crap shoot, but the the island gives way better odds.

mtbr member
    Sunshine Coast is a good option too, usually no snow, similar to the island. That time most stuff is usually good to ride but it depends on the year. You can rent rocky mtn bikes from endless biking, so check their prices to decide if it's worth bringing your bike over or not

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I was on the north shore yesterday, trail running along Baden Powell, from Deep Cove (not a riding section) to Twin Bridges. Most of the riding sections of BP were free of snow, but very muddy. Saw about 20 riders out.
    All wood structures, ramps, bridges, etc. looked very slippery/treacherous, take your pick depending on your skill!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hi all. So I am coming to Vancouver this weekend, riding Fri-Sun. I see that you have been getting rain in Vancouver the last few days. Can anyone tell me how the trails are fairing? Have they gotten any snow on the North Shore at the trail level? The data I have seen on the weather shows that it should just be wet. But it would be great to get confirmation from someone on the ground.

Thanks

mtbr member
    there is snow on a lot of the higher trails. Rode seymour yesterday, snow line was basically top of Ned's but patches of snow in less tree covered areas lower, still had a blast! Haven't been to fromme or cypress in forever but I heard the snow line on Fromme is pretty low and bobsled+floppy bunny is about as high as you can go.

ups and downs
    The rain has been falling as snow on Grouse, I haven't heard what the snow line is today but likely be around 500m judging by the cloud density on Fromme visible mid-day.

Looks about right, a 500m or so for the snow line as of this morning
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vancouver riding in Jan/Feb-2013-01-29-webcam.jpg  

Last edited by rockyuphill; 01-29-2013 at 11:00 AM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hi, thought I would drop in with a quick ride report. We managed to get 3 perfect days of riding in! There was a bit of a break in the rain and cold and we got 3 perfect days of no rain and reasonably warm temps. Trails were wet, but not bad, and we rode many good trails below the snow line.

We did 3 days, 1 each on Seymour, Cyprus, and Fromme. Each was great in their own way.

We started at Seymour and did 1 push to the top and then figured out a shuttle plan involving our van and a taxi for the next 2 runs. Hit all of the major trails below Neds. Good intro day to North Shore riding.

Second day we headed over to Cyprus. Weather there was perfect with a cool temp inversion and BEAUTIFUL weather higher up. This was where the trip got amazing. We hooked up with a really friendly, really cool group of locals who allowed us to join in on their group for shuttle runs. We got to ride with a great group of about 8 locals and get in lots of shuttle runs. Thanks to Sean, Sean, Roy, and the rest of the crew for letting us tag along. They showed us all of the best on Cyprus. It was great to be able to follow locals into the harder bits so that we had the confidence and knowledge to know what could and could not be hit. One of my best days of riding ever.

Sean and Roy from the Cyprus group then took us to Fromme on the last day. We did 2 climbs up the road to hit the classics and got as high as we could on the mountain. Snow line started at the top of Ladies. 2 great runs on great trails. And, we ran into the world famous Digger doing some wok on Ladies. We hung out and chatted with him for about 15 minutes on the past and future of North Shore biking. Maybe the highlight of the trip!

So, 3 days, perfect weather, cool locals, great rides, no injuries, no breakage. I could not ask for more. Thanks Vancouver! And thanks to you on the forum for your help and advice.

mtbr member
    awesome, It's been a pretty dry winter there's been some good days, I keep going out on the bad ones thought lol! The north shore is crazy, there's so many trails and there's hidden ones just around every corner, it's a cool place to explore.

And Cyrpus is an island-country in the Mediterranean, Cypress is a mountain in West Vancouver ;P