mtbr member

Vancouver Island Info Please

Planning ahead for a Summer 2014 mountain bike trip. I'm all about challenging XC, moderate AM, followed by good food and beer...love technical, flowy trails with occasional air in the 2'-3' range - nothing too make-it-or-break-it, I'm getting too old for that. I'm thinking Whistler for a few days just because it's on the bucket list (Comfortably Numb, etc). Then on the ferry to Vancouver Island for a week or so. I want to find some plush, comfortable accommodations with access to good food and local brews nearby that I can use as my central access point for a variety of rides. Seems like Comox Valley or Courtenay may be the ticket. Waddaya think? And what exactly is the current mtbiking situation at Mt. Washington - website says the bike park is no more. Also, what month is best? I'm targeting late August. Mahalo, Brad

Cougar Bait
    Sep 2009
    Campbell River and Cumberland have what you are looking for, long flowy or tech xc/am trails. ~ 100km of trail in Campbell River and Cumberland has a lot of trail as well. For accommodations you likely can't beat the Riding Fool hostel in Cumberland. Trails within a minute of the hostel. Travel time from Cumberland to Campbell River trails is ~ 40mins. Campbell River also has plenty of accommodations, just not as rider friendly as the Riding Fool.

Could easily do 2 long days in CR, 2 days of Cumberland, 1 day of Hornby, 1 day at Forbidden Plateau and barely ride any trails twice.

Mt. Washington no longer offers mtb'ing. Not missing much if xc/am is what you want to ride.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Tom P summed it up nicely.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Pinkbike article about Vancouver Island in the sticky - use that for a start point
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Excellent info, thanks guys.

I build my own.
    Add Hornby Island to the list. It's a $80 ferry ride but I believe Lee & Tom will agree it's a fun weekend worth of riding in a very funky atmosphere. Still close to Cumberland and Campbell River.

Edit: I see Tom mentioned Hornby already. Doh!
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'd also suggest checking out the trails at Nymph Falls ... the Bear Bait Trails offer a good mix of rides that can be anything from easy/pleasant to challenging. Also nice to be able to cool off with a swim in the river as part of your ride.

mtbr member
    Let me guess...the Bear Bait trails are easy/pleasant, until a bear arrives, then they become challenging! :-)

Thanks guys. I've heard good things about Hornby Island also.

I just discovered the Warner Lake IMBA epic that starts with a float plane ride from Tyax resort. Trying to work my vacation around that now. So many choices...so little time.

Aloha,
    Brad

mtbr member
    I agree with Tom P - but definitely make Hornby part of your trip, you won't regret it!!!
    FirstBike Balance bikes in Canada http://www.scampergear.com

Inrideo est vita
    Check these guys out: https://www.facebook.com/VancouverIslandFatTireFestival

You get a locals guided excursion of the best trails around.
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Make a stop in Squamish, there is some fantastic riding there as well, easy to have a full day of trails that will have you grinning, beers at Howe Sound brewing afterwards. You have to drive through there anyway, so I'd try and hit some of the trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Don't bother with Whistler, stop at Squamish and forget the rest of the trip. I'm an ex islander and yeah Cumberland and Hornby are wicked but Squamish is what you are describing. Get the iPhone trail map app specific for Squamish and go for multiple days of never see the same trail rips. Hit up Armand at republic bikes just north of town (Brakendale is a subdivision of Squamish) he'll give you the low down.

mtbr member
    Yup, the more I hear from some guys here who have been there, and what I've been reading, Squamish seems worthy of a major stop. I'm currently thinking about spending 4 days there, right at the end of a 3 week road trip. Thanks for the info on some local advice, hoping to get in on a group/shop ride or two. Aloha, Brad.

mtbr member
    I live on the Island.

There is great riding all over the island and most of it near comfy accommodation if that's what you are after.

If you base out of Victoria for a few days you can ride the Victoria area [Hartland, Partridge Hills], Sooke and Duncan trails with big city amenities.

You can stay in a sweet cabin at the Ford's Cove Marina on Hornby Island and ride to the trails from your door and then relax on your deck overlooking the water with a beer afterwards.

As mentioned above there is a ton of great riding in the Cumberland area and the Riding Fool Hostel has private rooms for rent.

If you are a GPS user I can provide you with tracks to some nice rides in all those areas so you don't have to spend much time navigating. Just PM me.

Things can get busy here in the summer so I would book ahead if you are after specific accommodation.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com