mtbr member

Van Island/Vancouver Area Bikepackers?

Hola,

I live in Victoria BC and in the space of a few months both my bikepacking buddies left for Alberta to earn $$$. That's great for them, but leaves me without any partners in crime for MTB touring trips.

Surly Pugsley - a set on Flickr

Just checking to see if anyone on these forums lives within striking distance and has an interest in MTB touring?

Bikepacking - a set on Flickr

I'm not super weak or super strong - pretty much right down the middle when it comes to speed/distance and ability to go hand to hand with a grizzly.

Dempster Highway Tour July 2008 - a set on Flickr

I've got some shorter 2-4 day rides planned on Vancouver Island and I want to do some longer rides in the Chilcotin as well.

I've got a group trip planned on the CDN GDR with some buddies from AB if you want to get in on that - possibly timed to watch the TD racers cruise by while we drink beer and cheer them on...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    haven't done trips like this, but this kind of has me inspired; Video: The Escape - Teaser - Pinkbike

t_2
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Just checking to see if anyone on these forums lives within striking distance and has an interest in MTB touring?
    I'm moving up to northern washington for the summer and as part of the trip we were wanting to do some bikepacking/touring. A few of my friends from Colorado may join us as well so we may have a group of 5 or so.

None of us have ever been up to BC so we don't really know the area other than what we have seen from looking at some maps online. We will have as many as 10 days to spend touring the area in July. I think ideally we're looking for backcountry bikepacking but would also like an equal mix of touring through neat towns and seeing the sites. A few ferry rides would also be fun.

Anyone have any recommendations? I see that there is some fantastic stuff up in the Chilcotin but I get the idea that we would spend all of our time in the backcountry if we did anything up there. The sea-to-sky trail intrigues me...perhaps we could ride some of the completed sections of this trail and then do some offshoots into the backcountry where it's not completed yet?

Ride On
    Vikb

I'm looking at doing something like this as well. I'm married with children so my time alone is limited (by choice But have wanted to do a trip like this for a long time. I am currently recovered from a groin injury which has kept me off the bike for a while but I will message you up when I get back to shape! BTW that union vid is fantastic, Love it!

M
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm a relative novice looking for other bikepackers for the 2015 season. Bought a Salsa Fargo in May. I live in Victoria and would like to explore the Port Renfrew-Lake Cowichan area and also the Olympic Peninsula this summer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbfargo View Post
    I'm a relative novice looking for other bikepackers for the 2015 season. Bought a Salsa Fargo in May. I live in Victoria and would like to explore the Port Renfrew-Lake Cowichan area and also the Olympic Peninsula this summer.
    PM sent
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com