mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Trip from Saskatoon to BC

Howdy folks, I'm planning a trip out to BC this summer and was hoping everyone to help me out as to where some places I should stop along the way are?
    The plan is to head out to edmonton stay a couple days, then head to kamloops or maybe vernon. Stay there a couple days then head to whistler.
    And to rap it up head home via calgary.
    I have a week, and would like to hit up as much flowy jumpy single track as possible.
    Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Oh, forgot to mention, that I'm looking for either lift hills or just trails that you have ridden and would recommend.
    I would also be up for joining other riders, as I could use a guide on unfamiliar trails.
    I'll try not to slow you down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Head right for the coast and spend your week in the Sea to Sky. North Shore, Squamish, Whistler, Pemby. You can ride every day for a year and not ride everything. There are trails to rip no matter what bike you are riding.

North Shore: Seymour if you want to shuttle some loose rocky classics CBC/TNT/Neds. Fromme if you want to pedal and ride some classics Ladies Only. Cypress if you want to shuttle some great DH steep stuff 5th Horsemen. Cypress I feel is big bike (7"+) territory. Fromme is good for a 5" bike. Seymour you can ride on a 5" bike but its better on a big bike.

Squamish: Go to any of the LBS (Corsa, Tantalus, Republic) and grab the SORCA map. Pick any trail and go ride it. You will love whatever you pick.

Whis: Ride the park if you like. The valley has tons of better trails if you are in for a pedal.

Pemby: Find somebody from Pemby while you are riding the lifts in Whistler. Offer a case of beer to them and chances are they will show you some good pemby rippers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sweet, thanks mate.

ups and downs
    Yep, that's a lot of driving for a 7 day vacation.

Edmonton to Whistler is at least 13 hours if you take the Duffey Lake Rd (BC99) route to Whistler through Cache Creek, Lillooet and Pemberton, so if you want to spend any time out from behind the wheel, you'd be better off getting to an area with riding opportunities in one big push and spending a few days exploring it instead of spending over half of every day driving and hoping to hit riding weather in each stop.

You could go to Sun Peaks in Kamloops or Silverstar in Vernon for lift assist riding and spend a couple of days there and then spend a couple of days exploring Revelstoke's trails and then spend half a day driving back towards Calgary, stopping in Canmore or Kananaskis Country and do some riding before stopping for the night in Calgary.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'd stick with the Rockies/Kootenays if you only have 7 days, more riding less driving. Unfortunately throwing Edmonton into the mix kinda throws you on the northern end of the riding areas that are close to one another (lived there for 30+ years). Our road trips always started with driving south to Calgary, hitting Kananaskis and either heading south to Fernie/Rossland/Nelson and looping back north. Revy wasn't as developed at the time but as Rockyuphill mentioned it's worth a stop. Throwing in Kamloops/Vernon also adds a bit of driving, but not as much as getting to the coast.
    For lift access you could throw in Panorama for a day, Kicking Horse if you want rougher terrain, and Fernie is good for a day or two, they are all just a couple of hours driving apart.
    Just a BTW about Nelson, you need old school freeride or DH bikes for most of their trails, most AM/Trail bikes will be pushed to their limits, personally I prefer Rossland these days having moved on from those old school types of trails littered with stunts and super tech features. If that is your thing then Nelson rips.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Really, the whole Okanagan area has so much good riding. In Vernon you have multiple options, same for Kelowna and Penticton. Revelstoke is definitely worth a stop. Just hit it when you can access the alpine rides. That can be early August before those areas are clear of snow. Obviously the Sea to Sky is a great option too, just a bit far from Toontown, but it can be done. Edmonton kind of takes you out of the way for riding in the interior, but may as well rip the river valley if you're forced to be in the neighbourhood for a couple of days.

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Crank View Post
    Really, the whole Okanagan area has so much good riding ...
    +1 add in the Shuswap and Revelstoke (July onwards) and you've got a whole vacation right there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    It's looking like late July is when this will happen, and I'll actually be gone for 9 days.
    Leaving on the Friday nit for Edmonton. And returning home from Calgary on the following Sunday night.
    I'll only be in Edmonton for the first weekend, then I'm off to kamloops to visit family on Monday.
    The plan is to spend the week in interior BC then head to Calgary for the last weekend to visit more family.
    Of course, I'll be doing more riding than visiting, but it's a good excuse to go, and free room for the duration.
    Hopefully that clears up where I have to be, so that you all can suggest where I should go.
    Also, how many of these trails should I be riding alone?

Thanks for your help

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well, I decided what I'm doing.
    I cut out Edmonton, just because of the extra distance, and travel time.
    So I'll be riding:
    Calgary (city trails) on July 13th
    Sun Peaks July 15th
    Silverstar July 17th
    Revelstoke July 19th

I should be fine on my own riding the trails in Calgary, although I'd very much be open to suggestions for trails to check out.
    But I was hoping that I could hook up with another group to ride Revelstoke with.
    I can't get bear spray without a PAL, which I don't have. And because of that don't really feel comfortable riding on my own.

Thank you to everyone for the input.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    If you ride Frisbey Ridge or MacPherson trails in Revy, you likely won't be alone.

Most of my bear sightings in the backcountry have been of bear rear ends as they are running away. Except for the time I hit a bear on some winding singletrack in Whistler.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    good riding in banff and canmore.
    bikepirate has info.

No lic needed to buy bear spray (I think)
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post

No lic needed to buy bear spray (I think)
    license required to buy bear spray or not, I ain't riding if I have to prepare for bears. lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Odds are you prepare for your drive by putting on a seat belt. (but the odds of needing it are small)

The odds of seeing a bear are VERY low, and the odds of that turning into a dangerous encounter are even smaller.

but bears aside, there are lots of wildlife that get angry when scared. Make some noise, ride with people, ride well used trails, take precautions, and as a last resort, if everything else has gone wrong, use bear spray (works on most attackers, human, or animal)

for the ablerta side of the ride, lots of stuff in moose mnt for more shuttle stuff. Kananaskis country, canmore, banff and yes lake louise, for some amazing XC riding.
    Last edited by mntlion; 07-15-2012 at 07:25 PM.
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooperuss View Post
    Well, I decided what I'm doing.
    I cut out Edmonton, just because of the extra distance, and travel time.
    So I'll be riding:
    Calgary (city trails) on July 13th
    Sun Peaks July 15th
    Silverstar July 17th
    Revelstoke July 19th

I should be fine on my own riding the trails in Calgary, although I'd very much be open to suggestions for trails to check out.
    But I was hoping that I could hook up with another group to ride Revelstoke with.
    I can't get bear spray without a PAL, which I don't have. And because of that don't really feel comfortable riding on my own.

Thank you to everyone for the input.
    MEC sells it ...you just sign a form