mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trails for day/weekend trips from Cold Lake, AB

I'm in Cold Lake and I'm looking for trails within driving distance of Cold Lake for day trips and possibly weekend trips.

Edmonton with the Edmonton River Valley is 3 hrs away.

The Meadow Lake Provincial Park is just across the provincial border in Saskatchewan. I know there is supposed to be riding there but is it worth the drive?

We have started the Cold Lake Cycling Club and are looking to build some interest in the sport (both road and mountain) in Cold Lake (which right now is the land of quads). There is a lot of good road riding here but not much for mtb. In order to get people interested in mountain biking we're looking for some destinations for day trips on the weekends to show people some good riding.
    As a lot of the people that live here are not from here (oil workers and military) there isn't much local knowledge of trails.

Hopefully if we can build some interest in the sport we can look at building some trails locally, but for now...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hey man, this is a really late reply, but you should contact this guy: Central Alberta Mountain Bike Terrain Park and see if he is still operating. And I heard tell of bike trails south of St Paul, but I didn't have a bike when I lived there and have no clue who to contact to find them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No worries on the late reply! Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Another late reply - feel free to post in the Edmonton seasonal threads about a possible day trip to Edmonton. I know that a few of us on the forum would be willing to meet up with your group and show you the trails in Edmonton. There's way too many to do all in one day, but you could easily fit in a four to five hour ride on a weekend day trip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    Another late reply - feel free to post in the Edmonton seasonal threads about a possible day trip to Edmonton. I know that a few of us on the forum would be willing to meet up with your group and show you the trails in Edmonton. There's way too many to do all in one day, but you could easily fit in a four to five hour ride on a weekend day trip.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Back again! I think you should check out the Moose Hills area (not Moose Mountain in southern Alberta) in and near Kehewin. If you look at a topo map (or google earth) you will find it is the most "mountain-like" structure in the area. I don't know if any trails exist, but you can always try and find out. Try Sylvester's in Bonnyville, I'm pretty sure they used to sell/ still sell bikes. At the least, you may find like minded people to build a great trail system!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm going to be working in the Bonnyville area until August or so and I'm hoping to get out and do some ridding while there. I drive through the Kehewin area daily on my way to site, and it does have some very good structure. No idea if there's any trials out that way though. Is anyone else aware of anything in the Bonnyville, St Paul, Elk Point areas worth checking out?