mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Which tires to get for Calgary area

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for tires that work well in the Calgary area. Specifically for a 6 inch all-mountain bike, ideally approximately 2.3 inches. I'm moving to calgary in the summer so want to be ready to go for July!

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Ask ten guys from around here and you'll get ten different answers, because the variety of terrain is so broad. What type of riding do you like to do? That would help readers to give you some thoughts.

I tend to ride fast, hard pack, dry XC trails and stay away from the mud. For the type of riding I do, light weight tires with low profile knobs work best for me. The gravity riders and the guys who ride the low elevation boggy areas west of Bragg Creek will give you a completely different recommendation.
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am partial to Maxxis minion dhf evo's, 2.5, set up tubeless, work great front and rear, definitley not the lightest but durable and tons of traction.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the replies so far. To clarify, the tires for this bike will need to be light enough to climb but burley enough to have some downhill bite. I already have a 4 inch bike so I want to use this bike primarily for all-mountain riding. Think Baseline by Rocky Mountain House or some of the riding by Kelowna (long climbs then long, technical descents).

conjoinicorned
    I use a dozen different tires depending on conditions, but for all around riding out here you'll be safe with a nevegal-like front (I prefer the ardent) and a blocky fireXC style rear (I prefer the mtn king). We Often have deep loose over hard, which turns into slick mud....I'd keep away from the low-profile fast rolling stuff.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tires for Calgary

Schwalbe Nobby Nic in a 2.25 or 2.35, you'll be very happy

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    I started using Schwalbe Racing Ralphs this season and have been very happy with them. Fantastic grip when climbing, light, fast rolling, and excellent bite when cornering. If they ever break loose, they hook up again immediately. I'm definitely a convert. My ride today took me through everything from hardpack, slippery mud, frozen mud, ice, snow, fallen leaves over hardpack, and wet roots. The tires performed like champs on everthing.
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm with curbhuck 2.5 dhfs

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just went a season using Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35's, PaceStar rear, TrailStar front compounds. They've been great on everything and for a rather knobby tread they're pretty quiet.