mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tires for current Whistler conditions?

Heading to Whistler in early July, and I'm anticipating lot's of snow melt up top and dry on the bottom (not sure if I should be expecting hard pack down there?). I'm placing a tire order now to make sure I have them on time, but I'm not sure what to order. The plan was to try some Muddy Mary's in 2.35, but everyone is out of them. So, I'm thinking about - Muddy Mary 2.5s (too big?), Michelin Wild Grip'r 2.5s (old Comp 16 - but I'm worried the bottom of Whistler may be too dry for these) or possibly trying the new High Rollers. I've got some DHFs and Swampthings now, but I don't think either of those are what I want (plus I'd like to try something new).

Suggestions?

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Try here...http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=...whistler+tires and do a
    search, you'll find even more threads over there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I will be there in a week, will I need a mud catcher on my fork or is it dry enough to ride without it?

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    don't leave home without it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks KB, I just gotta learn how to make one since I'm in dry and sunny SoCal. Looks simple enough though, inner tube and some zip ties.

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmanok View Post
    Thanks KB, I just gotta learn how to make one since I'm in dry and sunny SoCal. Looks simple enough though, inner tube and some zip ties.
    http://www.google.ca/search?q=how+to...ient=firefox-a

I found if you roll the ends of the inner tube around a zip tie, then zip tie the rolled end to the
    crowns (top/bottom) the stiffness prevents the tube from bunching in the center and it spreads
    the load so you don't rip through the holes you made in the inner tube to zip tie it on. Also, the
    wider the better and make sure it's fairly snug vertically so there's not too much sag when you're
    sus is compressed.

lvspeed
    Jul 2011

tires, javas

Hi Gurp. Just did a week around Whistler & Squamish valley. It has been cold rain above 2000 ft & warm rain below. As always, Nevegals grip where others spin or slide. Even on wet rock. If you are pretty light Small-block 8s will do most of the time, and work better on the hard-pack parts. Need coffee in Whistler? Walk right past Star*ucks to the Moguls Cafe or Buckwheats. Coolest bike store next door, check out the Troy Lee design helmets. $$$. Have fun spotting all the world champions at Crankworks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks Ivspeed. I just got back last night, and actually stayed right next door to Moguls at the Blackcomb lodge, good muffins, not wild about their coffee. I ran a DHF 2.7/HR2 2.5 combo that worked great. Blue Velvet and In Deep were pretty muddy in spots, but otherwise things were pretty dry.

mtbr member
    Bringing back an old thread. I've done some searching and I think my Butcher 2.5SX Front and 2.3 rear will be a good set up for Whistler..... but my question is, do I need to go with a DH dual ply tire up there?

Most of the replies didn't mention that. The one that did said if you want lighter go SX.

How many folks run EXO or other reinforced sidewall single-ply tires up there. Thoughts?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    EXO is fine. I go with DH Tires though on a dedicated dh bike but have a bike with single ply for valley trails ie outside the park. I only ride the park when it's dry though and run pretty high pressure - 35-40 psi

Butchers are good for WBP
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    If you are riding an old-school all rigid like me ('89 Stumpie Team), the tires I used this weekend at the bike park were a Ritchey Omegabite on the rear, and a IRC Missle on the front work absolutely great.

I only did three runs, "B-Line", "Crank it Up", and "Ninja Cougar", but these tires did fantastic. So, if you're an oldschooler, these will do just fine up there.

Leel, I'm hitting Shorn Scrotum this weekend, can't wait to try it out w/o shocks!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....