mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Tips For Traveling to Whistler

I'm headed to Whistler in August to visit a friend and I'd like to bring my bike.
    I'm traveling from Ontario and looking for general tips and advice about biking and bringing a bike to Whistler.

Is my hard tail suitable for biking at Whistler?
    Will I have difficulty lugging my bike around? I have to have it in a box for the bus.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Whistler is great for any bike, including Road, XC, Freeride, All-Mountain, DH and Dirt Jumping. Are you thinking about the bike park, or riding single-track? By "hardtail" do you mean a 21 lb carbon XC bike, a dirt jump bike or just an old-school MTB?

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    If you're young, a the hardtail you're talking about is DH oriented you could handle a few days
    in the park and all the riding in the valley. If you're older, your body will take a beating in the
    park and you'll be fine doing all the valley trails. If you only want to do a day in the park maybe
    rent a dh rid...it's a blast.

As far as getting around, it should be no problem, if your bus doesn't drop you off at the hotel,
    there's enough bikers that'll give you and your bikebox a ride.

Whiz is great, have fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Tell your friend to meet you at the bus loop to help carry your stuff. I doubt your pal lives anywhere near the bus loop. You can also take the village shuttle.It should put you close to your friend's place after you get off Greyhound. Ask your friend what number bus to take if he/she can't meet you. The bike box is a smart idea.

The best places to ride a hardtail would be around Lost Lake. The river and comfortably numb wouldn't be too bad either. If you're going to ride the park rent a DH. If you ride a hardtail around alot of the valley trails you'll just pinball down some sections. My advice to you if you're riding Whistler Valley for the first time on a hardtail would be bring pads. You won't need the full get up just something to cover the elbows and knees
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for all the great advice! It's all super useful since I've never been there and just trying to understand what to expect.

My bike which is a giant xtc 0 is definitely an XC bike. I'm looking to ride single track and may spend a day in the bike park but like suggested I'd rent a bike.

Are there many options to get a bike from Vancouver airport to Whistler and vice versa? So far I've only found Pacific Coach takes a bike in a box.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    P. coach is the easiest and most expensive bus to get to Whistler. They pick you up right outside the baggage claim then take you to a bunch of different spots in Whistler depending on were you want to get dropped off.

Greyhound is at least half the price but it's outside th airport. Greyhound also stops in North Vancouver, Horseshoe Bay and Squamish before dropping you off at the bus loop.

My friend James drives a limo and would be glad to take you and your bike to Whistler. It's about 6 times the price of Greyhound but if you're interested PM me

You can also take a float plane. Harbour Air leaves the airport and lands on a lake in Whistler.

There's a train called the mountaineer too. It drops you off in Creekside. Never been on the train so I don't know what to tell you.

ups and downs
    If you're bringing an XC bike don't blow through Squamish without spending a day riding there, some of the nicest XC singletrack in the area.

If you just rode the trail networks associated with the Test of Metal you'd have a great day on the dirt.

http://testofmetal.com/pages/race-de...ourse-maps.php
    http://testofmetal.com/pages/jabr/course-map.php
    http://www.gearjammer.ca/media/Maps/...p10%281%29.jpg

Here's a trail list with some videos
    http://www.tourismsquamish.com/what-...ountain-biking
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You can buy a ticket from Greyhound at station next to the bus loop in Whistler to drop you off at the bus station in Squamish. I'm not sure how you would get your bike to Squamish with you on the bus. It might have to be in a box.

You can rent a car from Avis in Casade Lodge.

Either way +1 on the XC ridin' in Squamish idea.

mtbr member

Thread bump

Another Ontario rider coming to BC to see what real mountain biking is all about.

Flying in and out of Vancouver August 13/30

Plan to rent a car and make my way to Whistler, but my itinerary is open other than wanting to spend at least a few days riding both the Valley and the Park.

Plan to rent a DH bike for a day or two, but will bring one of my XC bikes (Yeti ASR).

I don't mind climbing, riding for 4+ hours, have good fitness and pretty confident with my skills on a bike (though that is a relative perspective). Have completed Transrockies and my general philosophy is that my bike takes me on cool adventures. While I love singletrack, I'd ride a fireroad up the side of a mountain to get a good view (preferably if there was a nice piece of trial down)

Besides stopping in Squamish, any other recommendations for rides in around the area? Preferably that have posted maps or gps tracks for easy navigation. I assume riding in and around Whistler will be relatively easy in terms of navigation.

And, if there are any good Samaritans, I trade post ride meal/beers for tagging along on rides!

And a bit off topic, any one have experience with rock climbing guiding services in Squamish? I'm an indoor gym rat, but have essentially no outdoor experience, just looking to do a 1/2 day of recreational climbing.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    Another Ontario rider coming to BC to see what real mountain biking is all about.

I don't mind climbing, riding for 4+ hours, have good fitness and pretty confident with my skills on a bike (though that is a relative perspective). Have completed Transrockies and my general philosophy is that my bike takes me on cool adventures. While I love singletrack, I'd ride a fireroad up the side of a mountain to get a good view (preferably if there was a nice piece of trial down)

Besides stopping in Squamish, any other recommendations for rides in around the area? Preferably that have posted maps or gps tracks for easy navigation. I assume riding in and around Whistler will be relatively easy in terms of navigation.
    Hey CptSydor,

There's some great climbs on the Westside of Whistler, Whip Me, Snip Me for example. If you're in the Creekside area pop in and see me at Legends Hotel and I'll hook you up with some trail maps.

Kym

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Rent a DH bike for the park for sure. Bring your XC bike up to Pemberton and find out what we call XC over on this coast!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for all the tips and suggestions! I'm headed to Whistler the end of this week and am really looking forward to it.

Anyone in the area willing to show me around the trails?

Also will a public bus take a bike in a box on?