mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Things to do in and around Fernie

So my family and I will be in Fernie for a week this summer. I plan to hit the hill a couple of times, but I am looking for ideas on some fun family friendly activities...my two boys are 5 months old so it can't be anything too wild lol.

and good family trails to ride where a chariot would be able to be pulled? anything I shouldn't miss seeing? hot springs? eateries? etc. I have been to fernie lots, but usually just to snowboard..so being there for a week in the summer will be a bit different.

Thanks all.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ferniw actually has a pretty good bike path system through out the town.

Float down the river.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    indian food at the hotel across the hyw from the ski hill.

Bfast, on weekends, at teh Elevator.

good bike paths around town, or up the fire road to the "cut block"/ridgemont area (lots of single track in that area too)

the furious 3 is a 3 day bike race in town over 3 days.

and the transrockies is in town as well.
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    Hire a guide to take you flyfishing for a day. Some of the best fishing in BC is in that area.

mtbr member
    There is an aquatic center that is great for kids, spending a day at Surveyors lake (about 1/2 hour west of town) is always cool, nice sandy beach, painted turtles in the lake, also check out the Baynes Lake farmers market on Saturdays, in the same area as Surveyors.
    Go up to Island Lake for lunch and enjoy the sun on the patio, good chance of seeing bears on the drive up, great food and an amazing view. Also drop in the Fernie Museum/Info center downtown, they have lots of brochures etc. Best thing with a young family is just hanging out around town, the scenery is great, there's some great shops (even one that is full of stuff for kids) and there's lots of places to walk along the river.

BTW, the hill is only open Thurs through Sun, the best trails are the ones where you have to ride up though, and there are plenty of those - latest count is around 240 km of trail, with only 40 km of those listed as 'double track' the rest are single track.