mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Tallboy or Nomad for Whistler?

I'm heading to Whistler for a few weeks in August and I'm starting to plan things a bit now. Just thinking about what bike I might take, and I was wondering if I would be better of bringing my Santa Cruz Tallboy or Nomad? The Tallboy is built up light with a dropper post but I could add chunkier tyres. The Nomad has coil front and back but isn't too heavy, also has a dropper. I will rent a DH bike for and park riding, so I'll just be using my bike for trail riding. What would be the best to bring along?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Dont take this the wrong way but are you a competent rider? And by competent I mean you can ride tech and not ******** Colorado Utah or East Coast tech but trails with lots of rocks, roots, ups, downs, blind rolls, off camber corners etc
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey, thanks for coming back to me. Yip, I'd say I'm competent, but not expert by any stretch. My local trails have a mix of rocks/roots/pinch climbs (Queenstown, New Zealand) as well as flowy single track that takes a bit of climbing to get to. My weakness is probably more the blind roll over/super steep techy type stuff though, which is why I was leaning towards the Nomad.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Kiwis esp from Queenstown area tend to be used to tech. Almost all the local valley trails have some climbs so the Tallboy will be fine with beefy tires. Some of the more difficult trails might be a bit much but on balance go w the climbing bike. The hard valley trails are harder than bikepark

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Dont take this the wrong way but are you a competent rider? And by competent I mean you can ride tech and not ******** Colorado Utah or East Coast tech but trails with lots of rocks, roots, ups, downs, blind rolls, off camber corners etc
    Haha.. Your words should be on every Squamish, Whistler valley and Pemberton trail map!

This thread reminds me of the first time I rode outside WBP. I think the right answer is if you're riding hard diamonds or double diamonds bring as much bike as you can! When I first started riding the valley and other spots I used to like hiking the trails during the shoulder seasons or during the week to see what you're getting yourself into. It was a good way to spend time with my wife and show her all of the hard work that goes into the trails.

mtbr member
    couldn't go wrong with either. I would lean towards the nomad, but take whichever one you like riding the most

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah cool, thanks guys. Appreciate your input. In terms of trails to ride, what are some must do's? I'll look at trail guides/maps but I know from my home town riding often the best trails aren't on the maps, especially if they are relatively new.

mtbr member
    some of my favs: kill me thrill me, yummy-foreplay, business time

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Its really a big question. There's steep rock tech. There's rooty tech. There's steep root tech. There's up-down tech. There's some fast flowy intermediate beginner/intermediate.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    some of my favs: kill me thrill me, yummy-foreplay, business time
    Yes! And I love me some cheap thrills and pura vida across the valley, too...

I'd bring the tallboy unless your nomad is set up to climb. I've been on some serious whistler sufferfests on my really old, all-coil nomad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I would start at Lost Lake and then hit the Emerald Forest. If that goes well I would hit Cut yer Bars and The River then climb up to the Flank trail and head left or south and hit Cheap Thrills and Danimal. After that hit Kill me Thrill me then park at the Ancient Cedars lot and do the trails there. I would ride Comfortably Numb then some of the Lost Lake trails at the end. You should check out Kyber Pass and Babylon too. Park at Cheakamus lake road lot right off the 99. Ride the fire road up to the trail head. There's a good loop if you take Farside when you're riding the road back to the car. That should keep you busy for a few days.

Check out Pemberton and Squamish too. You get a Pemberton trail map from the Bike Co in Pemberton or Whistler. A Squamish map can be picked up at Corsa bikes.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life