mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Sunshine Coast recommendations and wet weather trails

My wife and I are thinking of heading to the Sunshine coast for a couple of weeks of riding, in late April to early May. We enjoy pretty much all singletrack, from buff flow trails to tech. We're newbies to coastal BC but have ridden trails from green to double-blacks in the Interior (Golden etc), Moab, Sedona etc, if that helps frame our background. Climbing is groovy, not usually into shuttling, and we both like descending but generally keep wheels on the ground.

- any absolute must-ride trails or trail systems?

- are some/most trails Ok to ride in the wet? We don't mind rain, but won't ride if it damages trails. We are a little concerned that a block of wet weather might mean no riding for days. That would suck..

- any recommendations for remote off-the-grid camping? Forest roads? We have a small trailer that can be towed most places our truck can go.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I used to live there, a lot of stuff holds up fine in the wet unless there's fresh work done.

The b&k area and sprockids park have a lot of super fun trails, and the trail 103/102 linking those zones together is a blast.

obviously in a couple weeks you'll be able to ride it all so checking out the west Sechelt trails and half-moon bay stuff as well. Off the edge in Sechelt can point you in the right direction. Don't know about off the grid camping, there's forest roads all over though.

Always heard great things about the riding around Powell River too but haven't checked it out.

Every time I go back it's to ride coast gravity park, that place is so cool.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Don't know when you are headed there, but there is a big XC marathon race in the west Sechelt area this Saturday (look up Sunshine Coaster).

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    Don't know when you are headed there, but there is a big XC marathon race in the west Sechelt area this Saturday (look up Sunshine Coaster).
    We left the Coast before this event was held, but I found the Coaster XCM course on TrailForks while we were still there -- and used it for a solid day in West Sechelt.
    Nice route -- plenty of good climbs and ripping descents. Recommended.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yeah, I rode it during the race on Saturday. Great trails, but they are pretty muddy right now, especially after 100+ riders went through.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Was it a wet on race day? Bummer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm actually heading up or down the sunshine coast for the first time between late June and early July.

Looking at trailforks I am overwhelmed at the options. I only have 2-3 days along this stretch and will be visiting it on my way too or off Vancouver Island. (Gibsons to Powell River)

What trail networks should I prioritize for single track XC? Nice views, coastal access or good lakes for swimming along the ride would be great too.