mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Suggestions needed between Calgary & Vancouver

We have planned a two week vacations in the west and could use some suggestions. We have already booked our flights and car rental. We will land in Calgary in the morning of August 11th and depart from Vancouver Saturday 25 in the afternoon.

So far we have planned the following.
    01: Samedi 11/08 - Flight to Calgary (arrival 9h30AM)
    02: Dimanche 12/08 - Fernie (Hyperventilation/South Castle)
    03: Lundi 13/08 - Nelson (Svoboda?)
    04: Mardi 14/08 - Rossland (Drakes et Douk Hobor Drraw)
    05: Mercredi 15/08 - Rossland (Seven Summits)
    06: Jeudi 16/08 - ...road & rest...
    07: Vendredi 17/08 - WA Wenatche (Devil's Gulch + Mission Ridge)
    08: Samedi 18/08 - WA Wenatche (Sage Hills network)
    09: Dimanche 19/08 - WA Hwy 410 (Suntop, Palisades, Crystal MTN)
    10: Lundi 20/08 - WA Hwy 410 (Suntop, Palisades, Crystal MTN)
    11: Mardi 21/08 - WA - Seattle stop + rest
    12: Mercredi 22/08 - WA - Bellingham (Galbraith)
    13: Jeudi 23/08 - BC - Whistler - A river runs through it + ?
    14: Vendredi 24/08 - BC - Whistler - Comfortably Numb
    15: Samaedi 25/08 - Return flight from Vancouver (depart at 4PM)

Does it make sense? Trail suggestions?

I have heard good comments about Revelstoke but it's a bit out of our way as the above itinerary makes a nice loop without too much road travel between stops.

The type of riding we are looking for is mostly AM. We are also open to do one-day of lift access riding.

I am aware of this thread for ideas:
    Where to ride in Western Canada?

Thanks
    Sylvain

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Day 2 in Fernie: if you want to do Hypervent up, don't do south castle down. Ride over to Southern Comfort and that will join up with South Castle about half way down back to town. the upper part of South Castle is eroded and rutted and not nearly as much fun as Southern Comfort.

From downtown, that is a relatively short loop (about 15-16km). Throw in a few more up off Ridgemont road to give you more fun (too many to mention but stop in at Straightline, or Guides Hut to get a map or loop recommendations)

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    No North Shore, no Whistler bike park? 4 days in Wenatchee?

ups and downs
    I'd do Squamish over Wenatchee any day.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Last year I also made a trip to BC and we hit the following places.

Dim 24/07: XC @ North Shore (Mount Seymour): Old Buck, Neds, Bottle Top, Bridal Path, Willy’s Way and Sticks & Stones
    Lun 25/07: XC @ Sunshine Coast (w/Ferry): Sprockids Park Area, Sidewinder, Hwy 102, Hwy 103, 2001, Pacheko Street, Janet’s Jungle, Pumpkin Patch down, Patrick’s Pass, Black Tower up, Sleepy Hollow, Black Tower down, Patrick’s Pass, Pumpkin Patch up, Hwy 102, Sidewinder, Schoolz Out.
    Mar 26/07: XC @ Squamish: Credit Line, Jacks, Tracks from Hell, Roller Coaster
    Mer 27/07: XC @ Squamish (part 2): Powerhouse Plunge, Somewhere Over There, Recycle, Pseudo-Pseudo and Your Mother
    Jeu 28/07: DH @ Whistler: EZ Does It, Crabapple, B-Line, Crank it Up, Ninja Cougar, Karate Monkey, Ho Chi Min
    Ven 29/07: XC @ Whistler (Comfortably Numb)
    Sam 30/07: Drive to Seattle
    Then we rode around Seattle, then Hood River, Mt St-Helens and Galbraith to finish the trip.

That is why I have not listed Squamish, the North Shore and the Whistler Bike Park even though I am travelling with a different person.

I am trying to hit some spots I already made (Galbraith, Comfortably Numb) but also would like to try something new. I don't mind cutting a day in WA.

Can Whistler "Top of the World" be combined with other trails at this moment?

Sylvain

ups and downs
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I love Nelson, I love the Nelson Brewing Company beer, the food (breakfast at the full circle cafe, coffee at Oso Negro, and lunch or dinner at El Taco feel especially Nelson ish to me), the people, and the snow, but I'm not sure you'll find much AM there. Mostly freeride and DH. Personally if I were you I'd spend the extra day riding in Fernie.

Do a loop of Mad Cow and Swine Flu on your way into town, then drive into town, park (Free bike wash as the Gear Hub) and Ride Hyper Vent/ Hyper Extension, which is my favourite over south castle. Ridgemont is great for the girlfriend, while you go do a "quick" Verboten, or maybe a Red Sonja... So many great XC/AM trails so little time.

I'll be there on sat and sunday, see you there...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SJDude View Post
    I love Nelson, I love the Nelson Brewing Company beer, the food (breakfast at the full circle cafe, coffee at Oso Negro, and lunch or dinner at El Taco feel especially Nelson ish to me), the people, and the snow, but I'm not sure you'll find much AM there. Mostly freeride and DH. Personally if I were you I'd spend the extra day riding in Fernie.

Do a loop of Mad Cow and Swine Flu on your way into town, then drive into town, park (Free bike wash as the Gear Hub) and Ride Hyper Vent/ Hyper Extension, which is my favourite over south castle. Ridgemont is great for the girlfriend, while you go do a "quick" Verboten, or maybe a Red Sonja... So many great XC/AM trails so little time.

I'll be there on sat and sunday, see you there...
    Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking that I was doing too much driving. Maybe an extra day in Fernie is indeed preferable. But I would miss on the Neslon Brewing Co. I'll discuss with my partner.

Cheers.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Wow... you fly into Calgary but don't do any biking in the Rocky Mountains???? You could easily spend your first week on trails in the Rockies near Calgary. Why bother flying into mountain biking nirvana, but not ride it?
    Screw the chairlift, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentP View Post
    Wow... you fly into Calgary but don't do any biking in the Rocky Mountains???? You could easily spend your first week on trails in the Rockies near Calgary. Why bother flying into mountain biking nirvana, but not ride it?
    What are your suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Just go west on Transcanada Highway #1

I am from Bellingham, WA and drove to Calgary last week for a wedding. I was not able to take my bike, but I was wishing I had it and I will get back there with my bike, for sure!

If I were you, I would drive west on Highway 1 from Calgary and ride in Canmore, Golden, Revelstoke, Kelowna, Kamloops. I know I am missing a couple of more key riding towns in the B.C. interior. Rather then dropping through Washington I would exhaust my options in B.C. You could still hit Bellingham if you want, then I would go up to Squammish and Whistler.

I was suprised by how many trail worthy bikes on vehicles on that route through Revelstoke, Golden and Canmore. It seemed like everyone had their bike, except me.

I have only ridden in the Chelan area, but I think I would pass on the central Washington any day, to have a chance to do some extensive riding in those B.C. / Alberta areas.

It doesn't take to long to find trail information on line for any of the mentioned towns.

This is my opinion and it is worth what you paid for it.
    E