dog's best friend
    May 2004

Sufferfest 100km MTB New Denver to Kaslo

The trails are in great shape for the 3rd Sufferfest 100 km mountain bike race. Lots of brushing and bridge upgrades to make the suffering more enjoyable. The organizers have a new course planned this year that has 400m more elevation gain than previous years. Race starts in New Denver Sept 29. More info here:

Kaslo Suffer Fest | EVENT

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    400m more elevation gain than previous years
    yikes

i signed up a long time ago thinking i would be ready, but as it is coming up extremely quick i'm kinda worried. regardless, i'm racing this mofo

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    That's the spirit!

Organizers tell me 40 plus sufferers....uh, I mean racers have signed up for the 100k ride. You won't be alone. Or maybe you will depending what shape you're in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    well i'm glad they took out the buchanan access part this year for both the 100km and 45km. i didn't like that part too much and i don't think i was alone

any opinions on tires? i got away with single ply maxxis aspens last year set up as tubeless for the 40km...not sure if i'm going to chance it for the 100km as they are pretty weak sidewalls. but 2.35 hans dampf trail star will be probably be too much tire...i don't have anything in between really. maybe a crossmark ust in the back, single ply up front...

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Goodbye Mt Buchanan, hello more sweet New Denver trails! Not that I'm biased, living in ND.

Tires? You definitely don't want weak sidewalls. Lots of sharp shale lying in wait on the edge of the trails. No Hans Dampf? They might be the ticket for the possible snowy climb and descent on Rico Peak. I would think you would want your best wet weather tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh man, if this weather holds for race day it's going to be wicked. Tuesday should see enough rain to dampen down the dust yet not leave any standing water. Perfect! No Sufferfest for me this year though, the 'rents are visiting.

Have fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    well the weather and trails were awesome all day...fastest guy (travis) was 6.5 hours or so and i limped in just under 9.5 hours. alamo/choices was the definite highlight of the course. travis mentioned the course was about 105km according to his gps

was a great event even though i was cursing it walking up the jackson basin stuff, but i got my energy back on the way down. chose 29" 2.2 spec caption control running tubeless are they were awesome all day.

lots of canmore folk kicking butt at the event. was a great time, plan to be back next year
    Last edited by xcolin; 10-01-2012 at 10:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have race envy.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Thanks for the kind words xcolin. Positive vibe from the racers as they passed through New Denver and Sandon. Glad you enjoyed the New Denver portion of the course. We put a lot of work into it. Haven't ridden it yet since we finished it last week but I hear from both locals and racers that it was fast and flowy. Next season we'll be working on that stinky climb up the K&S, putting in some ride arounds on the steeper washed out sections.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i think they were almost at capacity for the 100km'ers too...50 or 60 or so? the word is getting out. i heard 10 didn't finish, but not sure.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    60 plus registered, a few dropped out before the race. Twice as many as last year. 54 at the start line. 1 mechanical, two withdrew in Sandon. A few went off course but rejoined at Ratallack. 1 owie ( but he rode thru the pain). 50 plus smiling faces at the finish.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i guess i lied when saying i plan to be back next year (no real excuse other than being out of shape due to usual stuff like kids, work, etc), but any news? i hope the event is still going strong this year!

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Absolutely! The 100km MTB race is sponsored by Clif this year and we have made quite a few improvements to the course thanks to a grant from the CBT. Race day will be Saturday September 28. Not much time left to pre register at:

Kaslo Suffer Fest | Trail Running, Mountain Biking, Racing Event in the Kootenays

If you're not racing, come and check out the trails!

Slynx
    Oct 2010
    This year's race was incredible.
    Definitely a test of mental endurance.
    6 inches of snow at the pass.

Can't wait till next year, and sounds like some new races/events/grovels for next year.