mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Specific recommendations for Squamish, Whistler, Vancouver

I'm living in Bellingham, WA this summer and I've got 4 weekends to hitup BC. I'm planning on spending a weekend in Squamish, a weekend in Vancouver at Mt. Fromme, and 2 weekends at Whistler. I'm planning on riding both XC and liftaccess trails. I would describe myself as an intermediate all-mountain rider. I have a Reign X and an on-one 456 steel hardtail.

I've already gotten some great general info from:
    Where to ride in Western Canada?
    Whistler Mountain Bike Trail Wiki
    Squamish Mountain Biking Trails | Tourism Squamish

Specifically, I'm looking for some epic trails with wide-open views of mountains and rivers, like some of the trails in this video: Squamish, BC Mountain Biking - YouTube
    Something similar to the BC version of the Whole Enchilada in Moab. I would also consider bikepacking a larger trail, given enough water sources for my filter.

I'm also open to recommendations for classic, must-do trails, and fun blue/black trails with a good mix of fast-flowy and technical sections.

Essentially, I'm trying to get a well-rounded BC MTB experience. Here's a list of trails I'm currently planning on riding, I would much appreciate some specific trail/route suggestions for additions/omissions to my list. Also, a big thanks to the users contributing to the tons of posts I've read through so far. Cheers!

Mount Fromme/Vancouver
    Crinkum Crankum
    Bobsled
    Pipeline
    Eagle Ridge
    Squeaky Elbow
    Griffin
    Floppy bunny
    Bobsled
    Natural High
    Immonator

Squamish
    Wonderland
    Full Nelson
    Angry Midget
    Credit Line
    Lake Elfin

Pemberton
    Tenquille Lake
    Tower of Power

Abbotsford/Chillawack
    Elk Thurston
    Sumas
    Ledgeview

Whistler
    A-Line
    Cut Yer Bars
    Kill me thrill me
    Dirt Merchant
    Comfortably Numb
    Khyber Pass to Babylon
    Last edited by macace8; 06-27-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Added some suggested trails to list

ups and downs
    In Squamish your best bet is to drop in to Corsa or Tantalus Bikes and find out about the latest trail conditions when you're there. Some trails are on lands owned by logging companies, and there is some logging going on between the power line right of way and the Provincial park boundary that has closed Tracks from Hell, Don't Tell Jude, and may affect access to Cliff's Corners and the Mashiter trail, and also higher up it will affect Plum Smugglers and Word of Mouth with closures. Those trails won't be re-opened until the logging is done and they can clear and restore the original trails.

You can also keep an eye on trail closures at Squamish Mountain Bike | The Squamish Offroad Cycling Association : SORCA : Squamish Off-Road Cycling Association
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by macace8 View Post
    Squamish
    Wonderland
    Half Nelson
    BTW, add White Rabbit on the north end of Wonderland, it's fun and twisty and adds about 15-20 minutes to Wonderland. If you're looking for that lift park sort DH trail accessed the old fashion pedal shuttle way, check out Full Nelson, the newest Squamish trail that adds more length to Half Nelson. Credit Line and Angry Midget likely should be on your list.

mtbr member
    Sorry, I've got no advice I can offer you since I'm in a different area, but I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write up a clear concise request for trail information. It's rare that we get such a well phrased ride info request in this forum, so I'm really hoping that some of the other members from the areas you're interested in hop in here to help you out and get you on some of the awesome singletrack and views that the area is famous for.
    Everypony loves riding bikes

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by x-ker View Post
    Sorry, I've got no advice I can offer you since I'm in a different area, but I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write up a clear concise request for trail information. It's rare that we get such a well phrased ride info request in this forum, so I'm really hoping that some of the other members from the areas you're interested in hop in here to help you out and get you on some of the awesome singletrack and views that the area is famous for.
    Yesssssss --- someone actually read the sticky!!

In that Squamish video the trail is actually just a short piece like that around the top of Brohm Ridge. It actually doesn't exist like that in real life

Get the book or app in my sig for both Van and Squamish - it;ll make life easier

So here's your list and I'll modify it

Mount Fromme/Vancouver

Squeaky Elbow to Seventh - Leppard - Crinkum - Griffin; back up to do Floppy bunny; back up to Bobsled - Natural High- Immonator

Pipeline (nice trail but its just one)

Eagle Ridge (over in Coquitlam; tough to navigate by yourself)

Abbotsford

Sumas Mountain (Knob Gobbler to Squidline)

Ledgeview

Squamish

Cheshire Cat - Cheshire Kitten - Wonderland

Univ Parking - Angry Midget - Speedball then back up to Half Nelson - Pseudotsuga then cross RIng Creek Rip and do either Hoods in the Woods or Somewhere Over There and back to Univ parking

Whistler

A-Line (I think you mean WBP in general)
    Dirt Merchant

Cut Yer Bars (short trail)

Kill me thrill me (short trail)

Comfortably Numb

If you want views like you posted in the video you'll want to do the following - google for it - almost all the worthwhile TRs and directions will be from myself or Sharon. Our directions usually also involve getting maps Others just will provide pictures

- Tenquille Lake Pemberton
    - Tower of Power, Pemberton
    - Stimulus Pemberton
    - Khyber Pass to Babylon by Bike, Whistler
    - Elfin Lakes, Squamish
    - Elk Thurston, Chilliwack
    - Chilcotin
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Wow, you guys are awesome, great stuff. I'll update my post accordingly. Thanks a ton.

I have the North Shore Rides iPhone app, looking forward to using it. However, I didn't see a guidebook for Squamish from the link in your sig? Found lots of info on all the mentioned trails, with the exception of Khyber Pass to Babylon. Anyone have more info on that trail, or suggestions on where I can get more info?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by macace8 View Post
    Wow, you guys are awesome, great stuff. I'll update my post accordingly. Thanks a ton.

I have the North Shore Rides iPhone app, looking forward to using it. However, I didn't see a guidebook for Squamish from the link in your sig? Found lots of info on all the mentioned trails, with the exception of Khyber Pass to Babylon. Anyone have more info on that trail, or suggestions on where I can get more info?
    Searched this - https://www.google.ca/search?sugexp=...r+pass+babylon

and in this search i found this - Epic rides? - Page 2 - North Shore Mountain Biking Forums (before I quit NSMB in disgust)

I've asked the Squamish Whistler app guy to post here. The info will be useful and I'll add it to the sticky

I just wanna ride my bike
    To add to LeeL's post:

Whistler

Cut Yer Bars (short trail) - do this as a warm-up then head over to Lost Lake trails for a fun 2 - 3 hr spin.

Kill me thrill me (short trail) - do as loop: start KMTM then first part of Comfortably Young and down Young Lust (park at KMTM TH) ~3 - 3.5 hrs

Comfortably Numb - do as loop, start in village, ride the new Sea to Sky Green Lake bypass trail to CN trailhead (~4 - 7 hrs, depending on your fitness level & love for climbing)

Squamish
    Elfin Lakes - leave this for later in year as takes long time for snow to melt off the doubletrack higher up (I rode it in Sept last year and still had to hike-a-bike across large stretches of snow).

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    On a similar note, I'm looking to hire a shuttle service for 4 guys for a day in Squamish. Can anyone recommend a good shuttle service?

El Pollo Diablo
    Sorta creeped out by the similarities here, as I'm in Bellingham (all the time), have a 'bigger' bike (SX trail) and an On-One steel hardtail (456 Summer Season) too!

Add my thanks to the list, all of this is relevant to me! (ride Galby all the time, Duthie down in Issaquah fairly often, but never made it up over the border)

mtbr member

Camping recommends?

Great thread. Also in B'ham and trying to get up to Squamish - riding looks amazing

So, where do you all like to camp? I've got a camper van and my buddies tent camp. Looks like there are lots of campgrounds, but not sure which ones are going to have best access to the trails. Also, it looks like lots of them book up well in advance. Oh, and ideally they'll take dogs.

Thanks for any thoughts,

E

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Bellingham people always welcome. You guys always treat me well down there.

Camping - Recreation Sites and Trails BC

and

Alice Lake Provincial Park - BC Parks

Pay sites but its cheap and close to the lake.

Trails start right from both camping locations. Note pets on-leash at Alice Lk.

Ronny - check with the shops there - email - call them. Tantalus, Corsa or Republic

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Semi related question: I signed up for gear jammer. What tires should I run? Bike is a kona 4x4, currently 2.35 nevegals, can I get away with a lighter rear in Squamish to help with climbing?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

awesome Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Yesssssss --- someone actually read the sticky!!

In that Squamish video the trail is actually just a short piece like that around the top of Brohm Ridge. It actually doesn't exist like that in real life

Get the book or app in my sig for both Van and Squamish - it;ll make life easier
    I've also read the sticky, and its been helpful. But as the original poster asked, does your guide book have info on Squamish? From looking at the website, it doesn't appear to.
    "Yep, Redding sucks alright, just way less than you think." - Fiskare

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I've also read the sticky, and its been helpful. But as the original poster asked, does your guide book have info on Squamish? From looking at the website, it doesn't appear to.
    There's a Squamish trail maps app but the owner doesn't seem terribly interested in promoting it by posting here - you're going to have to search as all I know is that its on the Iphone app store

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    There's a Squamish trail maps app but the owner doesn't seem terribly interested in promoting it by posting here - you're going to have to search as all I know is that its on the Iphone app store
    I will just wait till I get up there to grab and map, and I will check out the recommended rides in this thread.
    "Yep, Redding sucks alright, just way less than you think." - Fiskare

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Can anyone comment on how the iphone app compares to the book for the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides? Is everything in the book included in the app?

ups and downs
    The app has all the map info, plus some more detailed trail descriptions from the book, and suggested ride routes from the book. The trail index for each mountain (magnifying glass) will link directly to the trail map and to an (>) for the trail description. It also has a 1x 2x zoom setting for use on an iPad or iPhone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    The app has all the map info, plus some more detailed trail descriptions from the book, and suggested ride routes from the book. The trail index for each mountain (magnifying glass) will link directly to the trail map and to an (>) for the trail description. It also has a 1x 2x zoom setting for use on an iPad or iPhone.
    Awesome thanks! Do you know if the app interfaces with the GPS function so that you can plot where you are at any given point?

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by drew502 View Post
    Awesome thanks! Do you know if the app interfaces with the GPS function so that you can plot where you are at any given point?
    Yep there is a GPS feature with an on/off switch

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by drew502 View Post
    Can anyone comment on how the iphone app compares to the book for the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides? Is everything in the book included in the app?
    I highly recommend the app. As a first-timer to the pacific northwest, the app was a big help.