mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Riding near Fort McMurray AB

Any of you locals or anyone else know of any good trails near Fort McMurray. I may be moving up there and I would definitely be bringing my bike with me. Any info would be great.

Double-metric mtb man
    I know there are some good ones, but I've never had the opportunity to check them out myself and don't have directions.

If you're up there, Sports Wise is about the only LBS I know of up there....drop in and they can probably point you in the right direction. They are on MacDonald Ave (etween Franklin, which is the main drag, and the Highway on the north end of the lower townsite...should be near the Timmy's and BP) up there in McMurray.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yuiruprup
    Any of you locals or anyone else know of any good trails near Fort McMurray. I may be moving up there and I would definitely be bringing my bike with me. Any info would be great.
    I work just SE of Ft McMurray and have brought my bike with me the last couple trips in. I have only rode in town on two occasions but there are quite a few trails. There are some pretty decent trails right in town actually. I picked up a trail map at the tourist/info building that is located right beside the highway when entering city limits. It is on the right hand side and you can't miss it. You can see trails cut into the bush on both sides of the highway when you enter town.

The last time I was up for work I brought my bike and just rode around camp where I work. There are a lot of bush trails everywhere up here. Beware of Muskeg. I was up to my axles on one ride and that muck does not come out of your drive train easily.

On a hot day it is worth checking out Gregoire lake. It is about 30km SE of the FT Crack. The trails at Gregoire are not very challenging, but the beach is nice and the water was pretty warm when I was there in August.

Double-metric mtb man
    Hey yuiruprup,

I stopped by Sports Wise...they are a block north and a block west of City Hall in Ft. McMurray. They are a seasonal shop (Source for Sports type of set up) and do golf, soccer, baseball and cycling in the summer and snowboarding etc. in the winter. They seemed to cary Kona, Jamis and Rocky Mountain as their three main bike brands. They are seasonal but at least they carry better than department store bikes (plus they carry stuff like crank brothers pedals and so forth).

They seemed to know what they are doing and the guys in the shop had some info on local trails. If you drop by and talk to them, they can likely help you hook up with locals who hit the trails and can show you some good spots.

It ain't much, but it is a start for you.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Members who have read this thread: 0