Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Double-metric mtb man

Riding in Edmonton, the Fall 2011 thread

Yeah, I know...they are forecasting summer-like temperatures for the next few days...but we're past the equinox, so I think it's time to get a Fall thread started.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Absolutely! My camera is with the wife in Vancouver, so no pictures for tonight's first night ride of the year. If you see lights in Terwilliger Park tonight, with some judicious use of red lighting on both front and rear wheels - that's me! Super stocked to get out and ride in the dark!

mtbr member
    Got out last night with another rider and rode around Terwilliger Park until 9:30pm. Park was dead, other than the few parked cars in the lot....

Saw one rider out with his dog and that was it. Temperature was perfect, clear night, and most of the trails are starting to open up as the summer eye-level weeds start to wilt and turn to silt. Trails are all fast and hard packed - minimal dust that I could see. Rollercoaster leading into the park from the west side is fast and dry, but laddled with quite a few significant scars from the rains earlier on this summer. You definately have to watch your lines.

Put on two cheap spoke red lights that I picked up from MEC. As per my riding partner, all he could think of was Tron when he looked at my bike. Once the wheels spin up, it's like the wheels come alive with this continuous ring of red light. Definate geek factor, but caused a few neck swivels.

New Magicshine batteries held up well (recall batch). Only ran two lights last night, one on the bar and one on the helmet. Need more. Will go back to dual bar and solo helmet light for all rides here on out.

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, I got my new saddle on Friday and managed to get it mounted this weekend (too much on the Honey Do list to get it broken in ) so the DT is ready to hit the trails again. I just hope some of this nicer weather holds for a bit yet

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, the saddle got a 40+ km workout ride after work on Friday. Overall, not a bad ride...a little slower than I had hoped and I didn't do Roller Coaster and Victoria's Secret due to time and light constraints...but I did try lower Melton.

My initial impression is that lower Melton is a bit sketchy...at least compared to a lot of the other trails in town. I did a bit more hike-a-bike than I hoped, but part of it was the IMBA bike patroller in me not wanting to ride the wet stuff and my "look before you leap" preference slowing me up before stuff you'd need some momentum to roll well. With a little work, it could be a very nice trail.

I do wish I could have seen the trail to nowhere before it became the trail to nowhere...found the stairs, went up and had a look, but man, not much left.

Still, a good night on the bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike View Post
    My initial impression is that lower Melton is a bit sketchy...at least compared to a lot of the other trails in town.
    There's definitely some unique geology or hydrology through there, because it never dries out. I've gone through in the winter a few times, and near the north end it's just an icesheet. I'm always surprised how much it gets used by trailrunners and dogwalkers, because it is pretty sketchy.

mtbr member
    Oh, anyone have an opinion on some of the trail work that's been done in the last month or so?

I bumped into one guy who was complaining about how the holes in the CC course had been filled in below sask drive. I was thinking that might have been because the organizers were getting flack from the racers or maybe the city about how rough that section was?

There are also a fair number of roots that have been taken out - there was a little drop at the end of the CC section near the old QEII pool that's gone, the wallride on the Rollercoaster had one, and there was one on a sharp turn on Victoria Secret. There's probably more I'm forgetting or don't know about.

Someone's also carved some new stairs into the slope at the south end of 123st, so it's an easier climb down to Victoria Secret. Not sure if they'll last the winter, though.

Double-metric mtb man
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    There's definitely some unique geology or hydrology through there, because it never dries out. I've gone through in the winter a few times, and near the north end it's just an icesheet. I'm always surprised how much it gets used by trailrunners and dogwalkers, because it is pretty sketchy.
    I'll agree.... the water is likely from what's left of thalwegs or burried channels that drain into the river and it is on the outside bend of the river, so erosion is going to be an ongoing issue. Ewok has some of the same, though not as bad.

I suspect the stairs / trail to nowhere is due to a bigger slide....kinda like what happened in Ewok a couple years ago...just on a bigger scale so that the middle trail (top of the stairs) is simply gone.

Lot of similarities between Melton and Ewok....I'd venture to say that Melton is what Ewok will eventually turn into in the future as the river takes its toll.

Double-metric mtb man
    The 'cross bike has been enjoying the MUTs as of late....dry gravel and leaf litter seems to hold a bit better on the narrower knobbies.

Anyone else braving the cooler temps these days?

mtbr member
    I'll be heading out for a nice 3 hour ride down to Rundle later today. And I'll be commuting all year again, so I just picked up some cheap, clear ski goggles at mec which should make the -20s and -30s more bearable.

mtbr member
    Been out quite a few times so far this autumn including today and yesterday. IMO, this is the best time of the year to be riding. Not blistering hot, no weeds or leaves face wacking you, nice hard trails, leaf mulch and wide open trails. Once it hits 0 degrees, then I'll scale it back, but so long as it's above zero and no snow, I'm good to go for a ride.

Sights seen this autumn on the trail: dogs, porcupine (at night, scared the crap out of me), woodpeckers, drunks, dear, stoners, cats, rabbits, mice (night ride = lots of mice), other riders...but the one that takes the cake...Python!!!

Out of focus, unfortunately:

Better shot:

Just a "baby" according to its owner:

The money shot:

I think my spotting will stand as the freakiest wildlife encounter in the river valley for a very long time!

Double-metric mtb man
    I dunno...there are some pretty freaky things running around some of the dog parks... I've seen a lot of the labs in the bottom right as of late
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I actually laughed out loud!

Double-metric mtb man
    Hehehe....glad you liked

mtbr member
    Some great riding this past weekend, most of it in the dark. Friday night and Saturday early am for two "dark" rides. Slipped on a frosty root Saturday am and jammed my ring finger a bit.

Picked up my warranty replacement Bontrager rims. Three hours later due to Bontrager rims being super tight for beading a tire to the rim, two brand new tires later (new Specialized Captain vs old Maxxis Ignitors) and after dremelling my fork post mount and actual brake mount (center lock vs 6 bolt pattern), I know have a clean bike that needs to get out tonight. Wheelset is a bit lighter than my old setup as I sprung for an upgrade on the warranty replacement (have to love 5 year wheel warranties!).

I'd say at least 75% of the leaves are down in the river valley now. Great time to explore hidden paths that magcially appear when the foliage disappears.

mtbr member
    I did my typical loop down to Goldbar yesterday, and on the way back I stopped to play around on the giant sandbar that's just east of downtown:

I really wasn't expecting to see that a pretty sizeable chunk of the river is already freezing over. It's a sheltered spot and it probably gets zero sun, but the temperature has barely been below freezing yet. Weird.

Other than that though, a nice time to ride.

mtbr member
    Not enough pictures in this thread.

Went for a quick ride tonight to test my new rims and new Specialized Captain tires. New rims and tires are noticably lighter than the old set and the rear hub makes a nice buzzing noise too. Had some front tire wrinkles going on as I'm used to the higher volume Ignitors and tried to use the same pressure with the newer tires. 2.2 vs 2.0, overall impressions - Specialized by a mile. Grip is way, way better than the Ignitors. Dirt and leaves were being flicked everywhere!

Many pictures of my bike. If you don't like, too bad. Yes, my bike is very clean. I'm a bit OCD that way. All images are mid-Ewok and Mill Creek, and the last one in my backyard where the grass grows wild and the apples rot away.

Yard work or ride....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatri View Post
    Not enough pictures in this thread.
    Oookay:

Gotta love those white 29ers with white rims.

mtbr member
    Those wide aspect shots are super nice!

mtbr member
    Those wide aspect shots are super nice!
    Thanks. I just carry a little point-and-shoot and then use a program called autostitch (free from here) to combine a bunch of shots. It's super easy, and better than dragging my dslr through ewok or wherever. Although it works well with dslr shots too:

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link. I'll give it shot sometime next week with some pics and see how they fair out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    New guy's first post here! Quick intro, but I'll try to keep the suck to a minimum

Let's see...I'm 34 and haven't had a bike in almost 20 years - my last bike was an old Kuwahara. I used to be in incredible shape but 2 years ago I snapped my ACL and destroyed a bunch of other stuff in my knee. I got if fixed and it's fine, but I never really got my leg strength back. I'm the type that you'll NEVER find in a gym; I like to exercise but it has to be fun so I decided to buy a mountain bike to rehab it.

I ended up with a 2011 Kona Kula. I bought it 3 months ago for $300 off list price and I've logged about 900km - about 80% dirt trails and 20% roads/paved trails. I'm a 5 minute ride from the Capilano bridge(s) so I've mostly been exploring the valley from Rundle to Hawrelak on both banks. My favourite stuff is in (what's apparently called) Ewok and there's a great long descent that begins at the East end of Jasper Ave and goes to the East end of Dawson Park - good stuff!

So far I've had a half-dozen OTB events but not nearly the number of crashes I thought would be caused by clipless pedals - haha!

Here's the part where I'd post up a bunch of pics from our trails but I need 10 posts. Haha - I'll get some up soon

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Rundle Park

South bank, looking at Gretzky bridge

mtbr member
    Welcome P-tron! Where's that last shot from?

Oh, and speaking of OTBs, have you ever thought about moving your brakes and shifters further in from your grips? You can see it clearly in jkirkpatri's photos and sort of in mine. Then you can use just your index finger for braking, which totally changes the amount of control you have (I think it's a big improvement but ymmv).
    Last edited by newfangled; 10-18-2011 at 10:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The last one is just East of Gretzky bridge on the south bank - I think it's an off-leash area. After that little downhill you've got to get a ton of speed to make it up the other side around the corner. It's a 50/50 proposition, making it up that second part without putting a foot down The pic directly above it is looking down 'that' part.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Welcome P-tron! Where's that last shot from?

Oh, and speaking of OTBs, have you ever thought about moving your brakes and shifters further in from your grips? You can see it clearly in jkirkpatri's photos and sort of in mine. Then you can use just your index finger for braking, which totally changes the amount of control you have (I think it's a big improvement but ymmv).
    Thanks! I saw it suggested in the setup guide for my brakes, just haven't done it yet. I think I may swap the brake and shifter order as opposed to moving them both in. I've made myself brake with one finger from the get-go so it feels natural by now, at least

mtbr member
    ^ ah yes, I'm usually heading from east to west through there, and I've decided that that hill is unclimbable so I just take the lazy south detour to get to the bridge.

mtbr member
    Any of you guys that post regularly here do night rides? Went out last night and I swear, I'm the only night rider in the river valley! I saw a couple of Mud, Sweat, and Gear guys last night doing some trail side maintenance (dog pooh removal from the front tire, I believe), but that's it so far this autumn.

I'd be up for a group evening/night ride if we can get enough guys together, maybe this Sunday? Post back if you're interested and we can take it further if the interest is there. I've got enough lights to supply two extra riders, so if you're interested but don't have lights, I can cover two riders.

mtbr member
    No night rides for me...at least until the time change (nov 6?) when suddenly everything will be a night ride for 6 months. Until then though I'm making the most of the daylight after work.

mtbr member
    ah...worth a shot. Mill Creek is getting dark enough for lights now at 6:45pm. Cool and warm pockets are everywhere in the valley on night rides with Mill Creek being noticably cooler than anywhere else. Maybe from the cold air sinking into the ravine and "flowing" down to the river valley?

Double-metric mtb man
    I do a fair bit of night riding in the fall in spring (everything in the winter seems to be night riding around here....kinda goes without saying). Sundays don't work for me, though.

Last time I went for a full-on night ride in Terwillegar, I was accused of being a train due to my layout (my bar light is a homebrew triple LED while my helmet light is a 15W halogen). Oh well.

P-Tron, don't be afraid to play with the control layout. I have mine like yours is currently. Because of the brakes I run, I do my 1-finger braking on the inside bend...it's a little less powerful (no loss in my case, I have power to spare)...but I get a hair bit more modulation for winter riding on the ice

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    ^ ah yes, I'm usually heading from east to west through there, and I've decided that that hill is unclimbable so I just take the lazy south detour to get to the bridge.
    Haha - it is unclimbable!

Thanks for the welcomes, all! I think I'll hang around

No night riding for me (yet), there's still enough light for a good 2 hour ride after work. Speaking of which...I'm off to the valley!

Surprised that nobody mentioned that my tire is on backwards Forgot to check after fixing my first flat - figure I'll fix it on my next flat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Tron View Post
    ...Surprised that nobody mentioned that my tire is on backwards Forgot to check after fixing my first flat - figure I'll fix it on my next flat
    I'm too busy trying to figure out why you have a mirror on your handlebar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm too busy trying to figure out why you have a mirror on your handlebar.
    I've ridden to work a few times
    In the morning I just take the fastest route - 11km on the 79st bike lane. I like to know what's going on behind me - at that time in the morning you can't trust anyone!
    I do that long pavement ride for the reward of a nice 20km ride home. I start at the Argyll Velodrome and take trails all the way to the Capilano foot bridge. Sooo much nicer than driving

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Newfangled's pic looked familiar...

mtbr member
    Heh.

Double-metric mtb man
    Surprised that nobody mentioned that my tire is on backwards Forgot to check after fixing my first flat - figure I'll fix it on my next flat
    Hehehe...some people actually run their treads reversed to change whether the tire climbs better or brakes better...wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out

mtbr member
    Got out for a half light, half night ride. Most leaves are down and it was plenty warm and dry. I can't understand why I'm not seeing any other night riders. Two years ago, it was common to always run into somebody on the trail, and often, large club rides. Couple of oh sh1t moments due to leave coverage over roots, but overall, a good ride.

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm hoping to get out tomorrow during the day. Probably do a loop including Mill Creek, Ewok etc. out to Rundle and SSP. I've still got the Knolly itch to scratch before the snow flies

rides with camera
    Newfangled, those autostitch pictures look pretty awesome!

Been awhile since I've posted on here, might as well throw a photo from an early morning ride from last weekend...

Fall riding is great, best time of the year to be on a bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding in Edmonton, the Fall 2011 thread-img_8606.jpg  

Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    New bike - check, batteries charged - check, Terwilliger Park 7:30pm - check! Unfortunately, wife has the camera so no new pictures of my new bike. I am highly anticipating a eutopic ride tonight. Too bad my riding partner couldn't make it out during the daytime, but I'll take tonight over nothing!

Double-metric mtb man
    How long was that exposure, SJ? Or do you have that many sources on your bike?

mtbr member
    In some of the trees around the east end of the canadacup course is the cadillac of tents - the thing is huge, like 15 people or something. It's probably been there awhile, but today's the first time I noticed it. Nice day for a ride, though.

mtbr member
    How long was that exposure, SJ? Or do you have that many sources on your bike?
    I'm not sure of sherijumper's exposure settings, but I can tell you that's me in the pic. I run one helmet light and two bar-mounted lights for a total of three lights.

rides with camera
    Hey mike, it was 2.5 seconds. That was Jason in front of me.
    He looks like a freight train on the trail with his setup It's pretty cool...
    I posted a better pic on my blog on that ride.
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

rides with camera
    Me and Jason posted pretty much at the same time.

The one on the blog...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding in Edmonton, the Fall 2011 thread-img_8607.jpg  

Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just went for a, ahem, 2 block ride...I need to get some cool weather riding clothes!
    Off to MEC, I guess

Went for a couple of rides over the weekend. On the long descent from Jasper to Dawson I came flying up on a tree across the path. It's deep in the woods now where it belongs

From reading a different thread on here I tried lowering my pressures from 33psi (!) to about 26. What an incredible difference! I'm a light guy (160lbs) on a light bike*. I was bouncing around and glancing off of terrain before. One my last ride I climbed every single rooty section I had trouble with previously, with ease. I'm going to drop another lb or 2 until my tires get squirmy FWIW, my tires came at 33psi from the LBS and I didn't know better yet!

I just weighed it a minute ago on a bathroom scale:

2011 Kona Kula 'Race' Hardtail
    Stock except:
    Rear pannier rack
    Bar ends
    Computer
    4 little LEDs
    Some mud

27 lbs

mtbr member
    Random ride this afternoon with the new bike. Weather was good, a bit chilly and very windy in spots. Not too many cyclists and those that were out there sure looked shocked that I yelled a quick "Hi!" as we passed. Guess everybody these days keeps to themselves.

The bane of my existence. Part of the Canada Cup course that I loathe becuase I suck so hard at it! Bonus shot - great profile pic of one-finger brake setup, P-Tron...and yes, those are downhill bars on a XC bike. I'll have to cut them down 1cm on each side for the perfect width. Stock XC bars were about 2cm shy on each side for my preference

15mm...yes, I can feel a difference!

4" in the rear goes nicely with 4" up front. I don't care if some say it's cheating for our local terrain:

Views from the newest suspension footbridge (windy as hell too):

New white bell!

Hawrelak:

Sold on 2x10! 39/26 and 12-36 out back.

Angels singing (in my head)

Millcreek...home at last

Double-metric mtb man
    Cool about the lights...looked like more sources, but with a 2.5 s exposure time and three sources, that explains it

Jk, nice looking Anthem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Nice lookin' bike!

What do you mean by "cheating for the local terrain"? Is there some mentality out there that you can have too much bike for the conditions?

mtbr member
    Well, some would say a single speed 29er is all you need for Edmonton. I can't really argue that too much, but I've been interested in a full suspension bike for a couple of years now and decided to take the plunge. Hopefully the snow holds off for a while....

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It's probably the noob in me, but I can't see how a single speed could be satisfying on any bike, for any conditions?
    Other than the cachet, what's the point of singlespeeds?

mtbr member
    ^ I got my first singlespeed this spring (the rigid 29er in the photo), and I really do love it.

Our trails are just about perfect for it. In my usual 40km loop from the downtown to goldbar and back there's only a handful of sections that I end up walking. The bigger issue for me is that I also commute on mine, and trail gearing means that it's a little spin-y on the roads. But it's not actually that bad - it really bugged me when I first got it, but I've gotten used to it and can be pretty efficient and speedy.

So I've spent all year doing a 50/50 split between it and my geared 26er hardtail. I still like my hardtail and will always want to have a geared bike in the stable, but if I tell my wife I'm taking the "fun" bike that means I'm taking the singlespeed.

And for bonus points, I converted my crappy canadian tire bike into a singlespeed too:

It's geared a little higher, and I've been commuting on it all week because I've had offsite meetings out in the boonies (did a little under 50km roundtrip today). It's a crappy bike, but as a single it's a pretty enjoyable ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Haha - I'm still not sure that I "get it." By your own account, it imposes some limits - I'm a hardcore pragmatist Hell, I'm already wondering if a 650b front wheel could work on my bike - maybe I can eke out a little better performance from it

mtbr member
    Some people say it's like riding a big bmx, which is a pretty good description.

If you're curious you could just hit your favourite trail in 2-4 or 2-5, and try to make it through without shifting. That's what I started doing last fall. The drivetrain of an actual singlespeed would be a little lighter and a little more efficient, but even on a geared bike you can get a good idea for how the technique is different. It can totally change the way you ride, and it adds a pretty handy tool to the toolbox. I was amazed when I suddenly started clearing stuff that I used to struggle on.

Double-metric mtb man
    Nice lookin' bike!

What do you mean by "cheating for the local terrain"? Is there some mentality out there that you can have too much bike for the conditions?
    Yeah...it's possible. My Knolly is probably overkill for the local conditions...but as a Clyde class rider, it has its value

mtbr member

DIY Studs and Tubeless

I've posted this in a few other places, but figured I'd add it here too for any of the locals who might be interested. I couldn't find much info online about whether a tubeless conversion of DIY studded tires would work so I thought I would give it a try. Click on any of the images for fullsize:

Tires are wirebead Maxxis Ignitor 29x2.1

Studs are 6x3/8" self-drilling screws with 120 per tire

Sealant is a homebrew from this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/be...ew-406115.html. I just poured it right in.

Airing it up tubeless was as easy as any tubeless setup I've ever done.

After setup I took it for a spin around my parking garage, including bouncing the front and back wheels a few times. There was very little weeping from the studs - maybe a dozen per tire had sealant visible, but the rest were clean.

So this is still an experiment but at this point it's turned out better than expected. I've got to give it a few days to see if it holds air, and I'll probably take it for a short ride tomorrow to see how things go after a km or two. Probably won't get to test them on snow for at least another week?

As for the question of why bother, it's basically because there aren't a lot of studded tires for 29ers - 700c tires are too narrow for what I want, and the Nokian 29er gets pretty middling reviews for such a pricey tire. I could see myself buying the new Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 29er at some point, but it's brandnew and isn't readily available, and it's also super expensive. So DIY studs are my best option right now, and running tubeless will hopefully avoid the problem of the studs popping a tube or of needing to use tireliners.
    Last edited by newfangled; 10-28-2011 at 06:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Cool on the Ignitor conversion. I might give that a shot myself, assuming I man up and get in some winter riding this year.

Got out yesterday with gord962 and did Mill Creek, Canada Cup course, and all of Mickinnon including the bobsled run. Verdict: best ride I've done this year and was definately in the "zone" as far as my riding skills are concerned. I hesitate to wonder if I'll ever ride my Fisher again, except other than in the winter. 39/36 on the 2x10 setup seems to be a perfect fit for any powerclimbs we have here; minimal granny (26) use required.

Trails are in primo condition. All the roots in Mickinnon ravine are rideable, no moisture or slick conditions that I could see (although that might be different today) Getting out again today for a Terwilliger run this afternoon.

mtbr member
    I should just add that I really only want the studs for commuting. They're invaluable for playing in traffic and dealing with glazed 4-way stops and intersections. The trails and MUPs can get icy too, but it's never as bad or as dangerous as the roads.

Oh, and just an update on the studs - went for a quick 8km loop on the road, with a few little curbdrops and stuff. The pressures are holding, but I noticed that one stud on the rear has backed it self into the tire so far that it's almost completely invisible. It's the only one like that, but it looks like some of the others have sunk in a bit too. So I might have to ditch the tubeless and resort to a tire liner and tubes after all, but I'm going to give it a few more test rides to see how things go.
    Last edited by newfangled; 10-29-2011 at 11:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Just got back from a Canada Cup>Laurier dogpark>Mckinnon>Groat loop. After all the rain last night the trails aren't so primo anymore. There's lots of slimy leaves on slippery roots, and I washed out the front wheel on some loose pine needles. A kid infront of me got stuck on bobsled where there was a bunch of greasy mud. A nice day to be out, but I'd say the trails were in fair condition.

(the bike I was on also had a FireXC on the back which is seriously the worst tire if things are even a little wet, so that might have coloured my perceptions a bit)

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, I got out on Thursday for a morning ride...it was frosty and I have to admit to took a fall when the front tire slid off a rock. To call it a crash would be a disservice to crashes everywhere, but the back wheel pranged off a rock and tacoed

Now comes the hard question... Another 819 or maybe something else. 823's, maybe Loaded AMx's not sure yet. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Went for a ride on what's becoming my 'standard' loop: From Capilano footbridge -> Ewok for a few passes -> Dawson Park - Home

Dry enough in most spots except for that hill in Ewok (roughly in the middle) which was a mess of muck. I usually go North->South through there so had to climb it and my shoes and pedals collected a few pounds of crud. Haha - I've also now bailed on all 3 wooden 'bridges' in that section up top in the extreme North end.

I'd been thinking that my fork was overly spongy so I picked up a shock pump...Turns out I only had about 65psi and the guide on the fork (RS Recon Gold TK 100mm) calls for more than 100psi at my weight! I had to slow the rebound way down but it rides waaaay better now.

Looks like really good weather for Sunday!

Double-metric mtb man
    Oh...and some bike shots

In Millcreek Ravine between the pool and Vogel Road.

Riding in Edmonton, the Fall 2011 thread-img_8555.sm.jpg

Only a little dirty...

Riding in Edmonton, the Fall 2011 thread-img_8557.sm.jpg

mtbr member
    7-9:30pm night ride tonight with a newbie night rider in tow. Slow pace, but a great recovery ride for me and a blast for my friend's first forage into night riding. All trails are nice and tacky and no mud spots found. Mill Creek, north side of river from Muttart to Gold Bar and back again. Saw a HUGE bonfire on one of the exposed sand bars up towards Capilano bridge and two cross riders coming down Mill Creek on our way back up at the end of the ride.

Nice and warm (except Mill Creek, it's always colder), great trail conditions with the trails offering a bit more traction than super hard pack would, and some nice relaxing riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    What are you guys using for night ride lighting?

mtbr member
    I'm using Magicshine lights bought from Geoman (online US website). Bought them three years ago for $100 a piece. Rated at 900 lumens, but probably more like 700. I use one on my helmet, and most often, two on my handlebars, although my last ride I only used on on my handlebar.

Checkout the lighting forum for super lengthy threads on Magicshine and other cheaper light sets, or for more expensive sets (Lupine, Niterider, etc).

mtbr member
    ^ did you have any of the battery problems, or did you get the replacement?

mtbr member
    I sent in my batteries in the first week of May and got my recall batteries about a month ago. I have six sets of lights and thankfully, every replacement battery has been stellar. Geoman's service has been superb.

mtbr member
    Half day, half night ride. Mill Creek to Strathcona Science park and back again, with lights on at Strathcona Park. No cyclists, but a huge (50+) group of runners getting ready to follow their leader who had a MEC headlamp when I hit Gold Bar park. I heard a couple of comments about my lights, but come on, a backpacking headlight for $20 that runs on two triple A batteries compared to a dedicated cycling night riding light? Obviously, there's going to be a difference.

I turned off my light on my helmet for the night shots, so double the output for actual riding. Started to see some frost crystals on some of the leaves and roots on the way back home up through Mill Creek ravine.

If no snow tomorrow, another night ride is on the agenda.

Random shots:

Double-metric mtb man
    Quote Originally Posted by Silv View Post
    What are you guys using for night ride lighting?
    I've go a Planet Bike Alias SC for a helmet light (older, 15W halogen light) and a DIY D-Star Altair on the bars (3x Cree XRE emitters, 825 lm minimum). I rarely run them both on full...the combined ~1200 lm is a lot of light.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Couple of pics from my last ride

North->South in Mid-Ewok

Mid-Ewok near the North entrance

That great singletrack on the North shore of the river, coming up to the Dawson bridge

mtbr member
    Got out tonight with sherijumper. About a 25km ride. COLD! Lots of traction out there. Mill Creek, north side to Gold Bar, south side of river through Roland and back up through Mill Creek. Toes frozen by the 3/4 mark of the ride. Trails are in such good shape and the lack of snow is a bonus at this time of year.

mtbr member
    ^ It's amazing how much the temperature changes depending where you are. I hit bobsled on the way home, and suddenly the brake levers were freezing my fingers. Got back out into mckinnon and it was all good again. Tonight was also my last commute home with natural light until...february?

mtbr member

Anyone have any thoughts on whether the "new" trail by riverside golfcourse is better East>West or West>East? I realized today that I've only ever done it East>West, and depending how the weather goes I might not get another chance this year.

rides with camera
    Anyone have any thoughts on whether the "new" trail by riverside golfcourse is better East>West or West>East? I realized today that I've only ever done it East>West, and depending how the weather goes I might not get another chance this year.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about Rowland trail? If so East-West would be the easier way.
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    ^ yeah, there's just that one big hill right in the middle that always makes me wonder if I'm going the wrong way.

rides with camera
    I think that hill would be easier heading east, climbing those switchbacks is a challenge though..
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Wow - I've missed out on a lot of conversations! Welcome to P-tron - nice to see some new faces on the local thread. I have a few comments to some comments/questions you had:

First, those steep climbs between the Gretzky bridge and Capilano are climbable - I have done it each way. I have failed many more times than I've been successful but it can be done! West to East is much more difficult as I get my rear wheel hung up on the top root most times. East to West is much simpler as long as you can keep your cadence high and your rear wheel from spinning out.

Why single speed? Why not single speed? There are no gears to worry about, no shifters clogging up your bars, no derailleurs to get bent or broken, no cable stretch, less maintenance and less hassle. Add rigid to the mix and you have a maintenance free bike other than the odd chain lube and tire pressure requirements. There are very few places in Edmonton that I have to walk my rigid SS - I can ride ~99% of the terrain I can ride on my geared bikes so that is never a concern. Riding a rigid SS through the Edmonton trails will really teach you how to pick a line and the value of keeping your momentum. Many of the more difficult climbs are so much easier when you carry speed into them. Finally, riding rigid SS is great because it is different. After riding the same trails for a few years over and over, the trails get boring. Changing your ride this significantly brings new life to the old trails and adds difficulty to things that seem simple on a bike with gears and suspension.

Other items:

Is Rowland Trail easier East to West or West to East? It is equally hard each way. I found that the switchbacks are actually easier going uphill than downhill - no brake dive around the corners makes it much simpler to navigate. IMO, that is the toughest (physically) trail in Edmonton. The few times I have taken the SS on that trail I have been out of the saddle the entire trail. The only thing that compares as far as amount of work required is Breathless. Neither are overly technical with roots and log crossings, but the amount of power bursts have even the fittest riders feeling the effects by the end.

After a great cyclocross season I am glad to be back to MTBing! I am still waiting on replacement Magicshine batteries (I sent them in late so it is my fault for the delay) so no night riding for me this year.

I made a trip to Ft. SK on the single speed a couple weeks ago. It was my first time there without gears and it went surprisingly well. 32-18 on the 29er worked well and I ended up walking the same climbs I do on the geared bike. I am hoping to get out this long weekend after almost 2 weeks off the bike since my last ride with jkirkpatri. I may have to hang the Vertex up for the year though as the Shimano brakes do not cooperate in the cold weather - I guess I will be SSing it until there is enough snow to XC ski.
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

mtbr member
    I find Rowland just as bad west to east, or east to west. It's all a gong show to me.

Got out Friday, Saturday, Sunday, last night, tonight, and possibly Wednesday. Last night was the warmest it's been in a while at night. All trails are good, and thankfully, any mud or water is now frozen solid! No mud on my bike is a bonus as far as I'm concerned!

rides with camera
    Quote Originally Posted by gord962 View Post
    After riding the same trails for a few years over and over, the trails get boring.
    Ummm Gord. You take that back!
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    Since we're back on the topic of singlespeeding, this whole riding-in-the-dark thing is definitely making it a lot harder. To keep momentum you really need to charge into some sections, but to charge in like that you need to be 100% confident about what's in front of you and what's under your wheels. I am not 100% confident, because my lights are comparatively wimpy, so I've had to walk a bit more than normal. If only the ground were covered in some highly reflective white stuff then I wouldn't need better lights...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sherijumper View Post
    Ummm Gord. You take that back!
    Tonight's ride was anything but boring! Mix-mash of riders - Redbike dude, RVC shop dudes, restaurant dude, Northlands dude and myself; six riders total. Awesome ride. Did some Mill Creek stuff that I've never seen before, Rowlands, upper McNalley down to upper Ewok, a run on the south side of the golf course up to McNalley that I've never seen before, and all in the dark.

Nothing better than some 30-somethings with one 40-something a couple of 20-somethings all hooping it up like a bunch of 12 year olds! It's always refreshing to go out with some other riders and follow their haunting grounds to get some exposure to new trails, or old trails with a fresh vibe.

2 hour ride, about 25km of 90% single track riding and no frozen toes! Trails are super dusty, but lots of traction and no frost on the roots.

mtbr member
    ...If only the ground were covered in some highly reflective white stuff then I wouldn't need better lights...
    I am so thankful that we don't have any white stuff! We've been real fortunate to have such superb riding conditions for November. I am dreading when the white stuff hits and have gotten out every day this month to cram as much riding in that I can before winter settles in.

mtbr member
    After a lame spring this has definitely been a pretty spectacular fall.

I don't suppose anyone has some gps tracks from millcreek rides? I'm sure that I must be missing tonnes of stuff down there. I feel like I spending too much time on the gravel doulbetrack, especially in the south half.

mtbr member
    I don't have a GPS unit, but may have one come along next spring. I'll fully map out the ravine and post it up in the Spring 2012 thread, should I pick up a GPS over the winter (I think I will).

rides with camera
    All kidding aside. Gord is right about the ss. They would completely change the ride, and Edmonton would be a great place to ride one!
    One year I hope to build up my old Rocky into a singlespeed...
    Fu(k cancer

thelonebiker.com

mtbr member
    From out by Keillor today

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    First, those steep climbs between the Gretzky bridge and Capilano are climbable - I have done it each way. I have failed many more times than I've been successful but it can be done! West to East is much more difficult as I get my rear wheel hung up on the top root most times. East to West is much simpler as long as you can keep your cadence high and your rear wheel from spinning out.
    Haha - I agree now! I made it 98% up going West but, like you said, spun out my tire at the last instant...but I know I can do it now I only dab a foot maybe 20% of the time going East - I get a LOT of speed coming in (and holler "Coming up!" as I go).
    Why single speed? Why not single speed? There are no gears to worry about, no shifters clogging up your bars, no derailleurs to get bent or broken, no cable stretch, less maintenance and less hassle. Add rigid to the mix and you have a maintenance free bike other than the odd chain lube and tire pressure requirements.
    I can get behind this part, I suppose

Is Rowland Trail easier East to West or West to East? It is equally hard each way. I found that the switchbacks are actually easier going uphill than downhill - no brake dive around the corners makes it much simpler to navigate. IMO, that is the toughest (physically) trail in Edmonton.
    Where is this magical Rowland trail?

mtbr member
    Where is this magical Rowland trail?
    Heading west just a little way passed the Capilano bridge it's the first left into the trees.

I'm curious about "a run on the south side of the golf course up to McNally" that jkirkpatri mentioned. I guess it's on the south side of the mup on the giant hill from Rowland up to Ewok? I know there's an opening or two along there, but am always too exhausted to check them out.

Double-metric mtb man
    Hey guys,

Anyone know of a shop in town that would have 16 mm nipples in 14 ga (for use with a DT Champion double butted spoke) in stock? I started rebuilding the wheel tonight only to find I rounded out or notched a good number of the old ones and I haven't been able to find any replacements.

Cheers

mtbr member
    I have no idea. Response for a thread bump

mtbr member
    Today's lesson: stay away from Ft. Sask when the conditions are wet. When Ft. Sask gets some moisture on that river silt that covers the trails it is a recipe for disaster! I did more drifting today than ever before! I managed to stay upright through all the mud only to end up rubber side up at the far end on the 2nd ladder bridge section. Laughter ensued as I was on my back with my bike on top and bars still in my hands. Not sure I could ever duplicate that, nor would I want to try!

mtbr member
    ^ yeah, I went out for a quick spin today and was surprised how filthy my bike ended up. No rollovers, though.

Also, I don't know who the best shop in town for wheelbuilding supplies is but my first try would probably be redbike just because they seem to do a lot of builds. But one of the bigger shops like Revolution or United might have a better stock of parts?
    Last edited by newfangled; 11-11-2011 at 05:45 PM.

mtbr member
    I have never taken my bike to the car wash....until today. Ft. Sask was great for the first half and a poop fest on the way back. Maestro suspension is a superb crud collector. The bike is super shiny now, but my clothes are still in the midst of mud removal (aka soaking in the washing machine).

Still, had a blast and today's ride is better than no ride!

Double-metric mtb man
    ^ yeah, I went out for a quick spin today and was surprised how filthy my bike ended up. No rollovers, though.

Also, I don't know who the best shop in town for wheelbuilding supplies is but my first try would probably be redbike just because they seem to do a lot of builds. But one of the bigger shops like Revolution or United might have a better stock of parts?
    Revo and United don't have any in stock....the big shops do a lot of repairs....generally to conventional rims, not tubeless Velocity had some 16mm, but it turns out they are 15ga / 1.8mm and I need 14ga / 2.0mm so I'll need to try Redbike, MSG or order some in.

Kinda surprising considering how many folks with big travel bikes run DeeMax wheelsets or 823 rims.

Double-metric mtb man
    I have never taken my bike to the car wash....until today. Ft. Sask was great for the first half and a poop fest on the way back. Maestro suspension is a superb crud collector. The bike is super shiny now, but my clothes are still in the midst of mud removal (aka soaking in the washing machine).

Still, had a blast and today's ride is better than no ride!
    Just be careful how you wash the bike at a car wash, jk....the high pressure water can get past seals and into your bearings and pivots...and can lead to premature wear and failure as a result.

Double-metric mtb man
    Today's lesson: stay away from Ft. Sask when the conditions are wet. When Ft. Sask gets some moisture on that river silt that covers the trails it is a recipe for disaster! I did more drifting today than ever before! I managed to stay upright through all the mud only to end up rubber side up at the far end on the 2nd ladder bridge section. Laughter ensued as I was on my back with my bike on top and bars still in my hands. Not sure I could ever duplicate that, nor would I want to try!
    Hehehe...that's kinda where I was coming from when I taco'd the back wheel on the DT...though in my case it was the off-camber, side slope stuff in Millcreek when it's frosty I did a beautiful roll-over ...another 45* and I would have been back to rubber side down

mtbr member
    Just be careful how you wash the bike at a car wash, jk....the high pressure water can get past seals and into your bearings and pivots...and can lead to premature wear and failure as a result.
    Yep, that's why I never take my bike to a car wash, but yesterday's 12lbs of glued on muck was just too much to do by hand. Didn't spray hard on pivots, bottom bracket, or any other bearings.

mtbr member
    I washed mine on the lawn - the hose got everything other than the leaves and twigs that are now a permanent part of my chain ring. I will be another week or more getting those out.

mtbr member
    I'm about to head out for a ride, but I have no idea which bike to take or where to go. It feels like I should just take the beaterbike and stick to the paved paths. This weather is so confusing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast