mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Rides around Banff and Canmore

Hi Folks

I'm heading out to Calgary from Scotland with my girlfriend in a weeks time and then we are heading to Banff and Canmore for some hiking and biking.

We are both experienced riders and will be hiring bikes out there. We are looking for a variety of routes between 15- 35 km with fast singletrack and or some technical sections. We're not looking for big jumps but good views would be a bonus.

I don't want to cause offence on a mountain bike forum but any information about road bike routes would also be great. Anything between 50 and 75 km.

Thanks

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Look here - we re-rode the classics - 2012 August | Sharon and Lee - Just another day

Someone else can help about the road rides I'm sure.

Ask on Pinkbike in their forums - there's an active thread about Conditions for Calgarians
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

ups and downs
    Early October in Banff and Canmore will be a roll of the dice, might be nice and dry or buried in snow. At that elevation, things change quickly and there can be big variations in the weather through a few hundred feet of elevation change.

14 Day Trend: Banff, Alberta - The Weather Network

14 Day Trend: Canmore, Alberta - The Weather Network

Here's a webcam at the Canmore Nordic Centre (has some nice single track opportunities in a compact space) http://www.trailsports.com/webcam/

This was what it looked like on June 9/2012.

Rides around Banff and Canmore-cnc-june-09-2012.jpg

Once you're in the Rockies it's not hard to find nice views. More shots from the Nordic Centre

Rides around Banff and Canmore-023.jpg

Rides around Banff and Canmore-nats-048.jpg

Rides around Banff and Canmore-cnc-10.jpg

Rides around Banff and Canmore-015.jpg

Last edited by rockyuphill; 09-27-2012 at 07:09 AM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobbydosser View Post
    Hi Folks

I'm heading out to Calgary from Scotland with my girlfriend in a weeks time and then we are heading to Banff and Canmore for some hiking and biking.

We are both experienced riders and will be hiring bikes out there. We are looking for a variety of routes between 15- 35 km with fast singletrack and or some technical sections. We're not looking for big jumps but good views would be a bonus.

I don't want to cause offence on a mountain bike forum but any information about road bike routes would also be great. Anything between 50 and 75 km.

Thanks
    Canmore to Banff on single track from the north end of the Nordic Center....

Then return to Canmore on the Bike Path next to the Highway....

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for the replies chaps some great information there.

Gary

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    As was said, weather could be totally unpredictable in 3 weeks. I would suggest Lake Minnewanka trail for a ride though for sure. Fun ride, and one of the best for early/late season, so if anything is good, it will be. For road, assuming you are staying in Canmore, would be to ride #1 or the Legacy trail to Banff, ride the Lake Minnewanka loop (different than the trail) and then back to Canmore. Would be a bout the distance you are looking for. I would offer to show you some trails, but I'll be off on my own road trip then.

internet axe murderer
    Yes, do the Lake Minnewanka trail in Banff park. Gorgeous and fun.

In LeeL's list of rides, I really like Jumping Pound + Cox Hill, and also the trail to Moraine Lake.

I could be wrong, but I believe the Jumping Pound / Cox Hill trail would be the lowest in elevation, so your best bet if snow and cold are in the forecast.

Courtney

mtbr member
    West Bragg Creek has great singletrack trails. Nice and flowy, nothing too technical. Here is a good 15 km loop.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 2012-09-29 West Bragg near Bragg Creek | Times and Records | Strava

Jumping Pound Ridge is also sweet.

I wanna ride.
    Check out bikepirate as well, they have a really good compilation of rides in the area, as well as BC.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Yes, do the Lake Minnewanka trail in Banff park. Gorgeous and fun.

In LeeL's list of rides, I really like Jumping Pound + Cox Hill, and also the trail to Moraine Lake.

I could be wrong, but I believe the Jumping Pound / Cox Hill trail would be the lowest in elevation, so your best bet if snow and cold are in the forecast.

Courtney
    Well

Minniwanka is 5000 ft ASL the trail follows the lake shore...

Cox Hill tops out at 7200 ft ASL....

Cox Hill is known for the summer snow storms....

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Minnewanka is spectacular!

I also like the loop around Mt Rundle. Start at the Nordic Center or do the big climb out of Canmore. Follow trails in the Nordic center to the singletrack that skirts the north side of Rundle and brings you to Banff. Have lunch in town, head back to near the golf course where you hop on the Goat Creek trail back to the Nordic center. Of course the loop can be done from Banff too

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Some great suggestions there, thanks folks.

I'm heading out tomorrow so will take some photo's and post a report when I get back.

Cheers,

Gary

internet axe murderer
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Well

Minniwanka is 5000 ft ASL the trail follows the lake shore...

Cox Hill tops out at 7200 ft ASL....

Cox Hill is known for the summer snow storms....
    Shows what I know! Just because Cox is in the foothills and Minnewanka is in the mountains... it always seems higher at Minnewanka to me.

Courtney

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Quote Originally Posted by skyak View Post
    West Bragg Creek has great singletrack trails. Nice and flowy, nothing too technical. Here is a good 15 km loop.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 2012-09-29 West Bragg near Bragg Creek | Times and Records | Strava

Jumping Pound Ridge is also sweet.
    +1

Stay away from any XC trails around West Bragg and Telephone Loop because they turn into complete bogs when it rains (and we had some rain recently). There are some great single track trails with long flowy downhill sections in the area between West Bragg Creek and Allan Bill Pond. Here's a LINK to some maps for the area.
    Screw the chairlift, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Canmore to Banff on single track from the north end of the Nordic Center....

Then return to Canmore on the Bike Path next to the Highway....
    I'd return via Goat Creek for more trail riding.

Goat Creek Trail near Banff, AB - a mountain biking trail
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobbydosser View Post
    Some great suggestions there, thanks folks.

I'm heading out tomorrow so will take some photo's and post a report when I get back.

Cheers,

Gary
    So, how did the riding go, Lobbydosser? Did you enjoy the trip?
    Screw the chairlift, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!