rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Ride/Rental in Victoria

Last minute business trip to Victoria next week. Looking to ride at least one night, but haven't had too much success finding much in rentals.

I have an email in to Sports Rent and a few shops (Oak Bay, Cycle Treks).

Does anyone have any recommendations? Or is there anyone who has a spare bike (L/XL) who'd show a tourist around for beer?

I'm somewhat fimiliar with what to expect as I did the BC Bike Race in 2012.

Rob

mtbr member
    Oak bay bikes should have some specialized and norcos. Hartlands always fun for a night rip!

Don't live in victoria anymore (moved to whistler in 2011) so no can do on the showing around

mtbr member
    Hartland is your best bet for riding if you are new to the area. There are maps available from bike shops and it is well marked. Don’t worry about not having anyone to ride with. If you arrive after work, 5:00 – 6:30 p.m., there will be tons of riders heading out who would love to show you around. Your timing is perfect, the conditions are amazing – best of the year – and the forecast is great. Make sure you rent/borrow a full suspension AM / Trail bike to fully enjoy Hartland, this likely leaves Oak Bay Bikes as your best choice, but call some other bike shops as well.

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the help. I didn't get out on my first trip out to Victoria, but second time around I made the effort to pack more gear and make sure I got some riding in. Didn't hurt that it's a 2 week trip this time.

I kinda, shoulda brought my own bike, but flying with bikes makes we want to take up golf.

The recommendation for Hartland worked out great. Only 20 min from downtown, but even better, it turns out that the office where I'm working is only 5 minutes away.

Rented a 2011 Norco Shinobi from Oak Bay. Bike is older with a few marks, but mechanically perfect. Unfortunately OB did not have any XL bikes, so the Norco was a touch on the small side. Honestly, it wasn't the right bike for Hartland - the specs look good but somehow the front end is way too steep and the rear too long. Bike climbed well (good at Hartland) but was a bit hairy going down (bad at Hartland).

But that can't ruin a ride can it? Hartland is an excellent ride and I'd recommend it to any serious mountian biker. I expected to see lots of people and I did - in the parking lot. Only ran into a few people here and there on the trails.

Gonna see what's available over the weekend either road or MTB. I was going to get out of the city but got too lazy to find a different hotel :-)

Rob

mtbr member
    I'm glad to hear you got out. I just got back from an after-work Hartland ride. Wow it's wet - like mid winter but 3 degrees warmer. It was drying out nicely, but now we are back in slippery January. You should ride Tzouhalem in Duncan next, an hour drive north.

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Funny you should mention that....

Someone made a joke that I should just demo a bike instead of renting. A quick Google search told me that Rocky was doing a demo day at Tzouhalem. I spent a couple happy hours on a 2014 Rocky Altitude 770 - much of that with Wade Simmons.

I do have to say that some serious hours have gone into some of those trails. Double D was a blast.

mtbr member
    Good call, Double D is one of my Favorite trails. I demoed an Altitude 770 today at muddy Hartland. Great bike, Shitty, really Shitty tires.

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That was the comment from a couple of riders from Nanaimo. But I suspect it had a lot to do with the pressure they had in them.

I understand they don't want to keep getting bikes back in with flats, but there must have been 40+PSI in the one I got. Anything slick like roots and rocks were a fail. Dropping pressure helped. I didn't drop it too much since it wasn't my bike. I normally run a touch over 25 PSI for XC on tubeless. I don't add too much more for DH.

I am very impressed with the Altitude - if I was choosing a single all-around bike, I think I'd have a winner.

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    P.S. I rented a road bike for Sunday and my route went past Hartland, so I stopped in to chat. I was thinking if they weren't busy I'd grab an Instinct. Man was it busy. At least 5x as many people as Mt. Tzouhalem. There were no Altitudes left at all. I only realized after that there were a ton of Instincts. Should have stayed a few more minutes.

That said, I wish I could ride Millstream Lake Road without worrying about cars. The Rocky guys called it 'singletrack for road bikes'.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I will go for my holidays to Nanaimo, last week of june and first of july. Obviously i would like to try some of the best trails in the island, and if possible some within riding distance from our rental house. I am coming from Sofla, so I am used to technical flat trail riding, climbing is not my strength, but I know it needs to be done to enjoy long downhills which is what we don't have here. I need to rent a bike and also to know where to go. Any good advise in Nanimo area?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Gallego,

I am not a Nanaimo expert, but I know there are tons of great rides. Freakmaps (Freak Maps | Maps for the Masses) makes maps of the entire island's trails. Have a great time.