mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Upset Repairs shop in Calgary

Hi,

rant on:

I tacoed my wheel riding at COP yesterday evening, so for the first time in ages, I need to use a repair shop to build me a new wheel - I usually do the maintenance myself. So here I am around 6:00pm trying to phone bike shops to see when they can have it done by. I phoned a couple of places and they were giving me ETA around late May, early June or even July. What the f*ck is going on? Is there so much demand for repairs in Calgary that everybody is completely swamped? If so, then that's what I should do: open a repair shop!!!!
    Anyway as I would like to ride next weekend, I will probably end up buying a complete wheelset and that sucks!!!!

rant off.

My apologies for the rant, but I found that to be unbelievable. Who would wait 1 month to get their wheel rebuild. That's like 1/3rd of the season waiting.
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Busiest time of the season is what's going on. It's really nothing new around town. Everybody wants their bikes tuned up/built/worked on for the new riding season so its busy everywhere.

Since it sounds like you've rarely been to a shop for service in ages and I doubt anybody is going to do you any favours for that reason, it might be time to tackle building a wheel for youself. Might be your only other option other than buying a new wheel to get you on the trail before the weekend.

I try and make a point to be a recognizable face in a couple shops and BS with the mechanics so that if I show up with a fubar bike and a case of beer at 5 minutes to closing on a Friday night, someone might help me out in a pinch.

good luck, man.

J

conjoinicorned
    welcome to the calgary bike market. every year for as long as i can remember it's been this way. i was at the bike shop last night and waited an hour before i could even talk to a tech...

it pays to build a strong relationship with a specific shop, suddenly the service gets faster....
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I hear you guys. I know a few guys at Bow Cycle, but they are sales guys, not service guys. I guess I am guilty of my own self-sufficiency. Regarding wheel building, I agree with you. It is on my list of thing to learn.

Thanks a lot for allowing me to vent.
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I do repairs out of my basement

If you supply the right spokes, nipples and rim, I can build your wheel for you. PM me if you're interested. Eventually I'll get around to getting a business license and order the parts for myself, but for now I'm primarily just supplying labour.

BL
    "Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

Formerly DMR For Life
    try bike bros in cochrane he has a 3 day repair service

DMR

KAIZEN!
    Echoing some previous people on here, it helps to develop a relationship with the bike shop mechanics... I deal with Roy (Owner / operator) at Eurotech and he is G_O_L_D!

I know all the shops are swamped from mid to late April until early June (weather dependant) and with the gas and oil sector so crazy, it is tough to find "cheap" mechanics... many of them have bolted for "greener $$" pastures in other industries! The service industry is having a tough time hanging on to employees...

Since the "develop a R/S with a bike shop techie" ain't gonna happen overnight, buy a new wheelset! Then you have a backup!

Dean

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks a lot BikeLust for the offer. I brought my new rim to B&P Cycle and they can have it done for Sat morning. I'll try to get a cheap rim and learn to build a wheel.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbblackdiamond
    I hear you guys. I know a few guys at Bow Cycle, but they are sales guys, not service guys. I guess I am guilty of my own self-sufficiency. Regarding wheel building, I agree with you. It is on my list of thing to learn.

Thanks a lot for allowing me to vent.
    Kham at Bow Cycle is a great wheel builder. He was recommended to me by several people and he definitely knows his stuff. Had my wheels built in a day or two but this was a few months ago. I'm sure every bike store is flooded with tune-ups right now.

BikeLust, are you a bike mechanic on the side ? Whereabouts in the city do you live ?

mtbr member
    I was going to build a new wheel up for the rear because of some broking spokes and a bad hub. This was in early april and evethen it was a two week wait. but to have a wheel built was going to be $180+gst and useing my old rim. I went and bought a new rear built wheel with stronger everything for $230. Just go buy a new wheel and you are out riding again in hours.

Members who have read this thread: 0