Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Proposed - Snow bike group ride around Calgary

5K views 44 replies 9 participants last post by  trevorrr 
#1 ·
Hey guys - I'm proposing we try to put together a group ride for snow bikes on November 18th (Sunday). I'm open to suggestions about where we should ride - Fish Creek? Cochrane? West Bragg Creek? Further West? I normally like to ride 2-3 hours.

I'm not against including people with regural mountain bikes, but if everyone is on fat bikes at least we will all be equally slow or fast on a given terrain.

Is anybody interested?

#4 ·
i'm not sure if i can or not....i do highly recommend minnewanka, if the weather stays cold this week the snow should be perfect out there...! minne is usually my first choice

rundle/riverside is also usually pretty good, but goat creek on the other side is a strict no-no because of the skiiers

the moose trails are usually not rideable simply because of the hills, even a fatbike isn't climbing those hills in the snow but if one doesn't mind walking they are super fun

i've always wanted to snow-ride elbow but never had the sack to get so far back (only to likely discover a meter+ of snow LOL) and it could easily turn into a 6+ hour slog

i'm gonna keep an eye on this thread, if something is made concrete i'll do what i can to come, despite being in horrible shape ;)
feel free to PM or whatnot, i'd LOVE to keep this going all winter and try to get a few fat rides in with some locals

#5 ·
i've always wanted to snow-ride elbow but never had the sack to get so far back (only to likely discover a meter+ of snow LOL) and it could easily turn into a 6+ hour slog
I have done Elbow Loop a Few times in winter and a couple of those times I turned back due to avalanche conditions and a few because of deep snow. I made it around once in winter, but it took me about 50 hours of riding and pushing from the winter gate and back. It is actually pretty fun even if you only get part way and then turn back, I find that the mountains look totally different once you change directions.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards Minnewanka. I've never done it before, but from the profile it looks relatively flat which should limit the amount of pushing. Plus, the fact that it's an out and back lets you have more control over how long you're out for. Maybe target an 11am start?

Was out in North Glenmore and the weasel head yesterday, and conditions are good. I'm going to fish creek today.

#9 ·
As best as I can tell, the Cascade trail (which also leaves from the Minnewanka parking lot) is groomed for XC skiing. But the Minnewanka shoreline/lake trail (as shown on bikepirate.com) is classified as "winter walking", hence should be ok for us. But that's just what I could glean from the Parks Canada website.

Trevor

#28 ·
minne should be pretty fantastic, the freeze thaw is about perfect right now and if there is a little coating of fresh on top it'll be stellar riding.

i'm trying to find the time but not looking good right now. let me know what times you guys are thinking and i'll see what i can do, i'd love to hit minne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.