Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Proposed - Snow bike group ride around Calgary

Hey guys - I'm proposing we try to put together a group ride for snow bikes on November 18th (Sunday). I'm open to suggestions about where we should ride - Fish Creek? Cochrane? West Bragg Creek? Further West? I normally like to ride 2-3 hours.

I'm not against including people with regural mountain bikes, but if everyone is on fat bikes at least we will all be equally slow or fast on a given terrain.

Is anybody interested?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have to do a bit of re-arranging of my schedule, but I believe I am in. Many of the west bragg trails get groomed for XC ski, so we would probably want to stay off them.
    Maybe powderface/prairie creek loop?
    Also, the winter gate is still open in Elbow valley, so any of the trails there should be accessible.
    Doug

mtbr member
    I'm in. I'm out in Cochrane. Bragg creek wouldn't be good. The skiers are not very accommodating. For a 2-3hr ride Cochrane isn't really big enough. Maybe Canmore to banff?

My email is thesilversurfer01@yahoo.co.uk

Richie

conjoinicorned
    i'm not sure if i can or not....i do highly recommend minnewanka, if the weather stays cold this week the snow should be perfect out there...! minne is usually my first choice

rundle/riverside is also usually pretty good, but goat creek on the other side is a strict no-no because of the skiiers

the moose trails are usually not rideable simply because of the hills, even a fatbike isn't climbing those hills in the snow but if one doesn't mind walking they are super fun

i've always wanted to snow-ride elbow but never had the sack to get so far back (only to likely discover a meter+ of snow LOL) and it could easily turn into a 6+ hour slog

i'm gonna keep an eye on this thread, if something is made concrete i'll do what i can to come, despite being in horrible shape
    feel free to PM or whatnot, i'd LOVE to keep this going all winter and try to get a few fat rides in with some locals
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    i've always wanted to snow-ride elbow but never had the sack to get so far back (only to likely discover a meter+ of snow LOL) and it could easily turn into a 6+ hour slog
    I have done Elbow Loop a Few times in winter and a couple of those times I turned back due to avalanche conditions and a few because of deep snow. I made it around once in winter, but it took me about 50 hours of riding and pushing from the winter gate and back. It is actually pretty fun even if you only get part way and then turn back, I find that the mountains look totally different once you change directions.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards Minnewanka. I've never done it before, but from the profile it looks relatively flat which should limit the amount of pushing. Plus, the fact that it's an out and back lets you have more control over how long you're out for. Maybe target an 11am start?

Was out in North Glenmore and the weasel head yesterday, and conditions are good. I'm going to fish creek today.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Is minnewanka not groomed for XC? I haven't been, but I thought that it was.

mtbr member
    I'm up for wherever. 11am sounds good. How many people we up to now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coldbike View Post
    Is minnewanka not groomed for XC? I haven't been, but I thought that it was.
    As best as I can tell, the Cascade trail (which also leaves from the Minnewanka parking lot) is groomed for XC skiing. But the Minnewanka shoreline/lake trail (as shown on bikepirate.com) is classified as "winter walking", hence should be ok for us. But that's just what I could glean from the Parks Canada website.

Trevor

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorrr View Post
    As best as I can tell, the Cascade trail (which also leaves from the Minnewanka parking lot) is groomed for XC skiing. But the Minnewanka shoreline/lake trail (as shown on bikepirate.com) is classified as "winter walking", hence should be ok for us. But that's just what I could glean from the Parks Canada website.

Trevor
    I've ridden minne wanka in every month. It's not track set and is usually great riding, the first part is heavily walked/packed followed by whatever snow conditions are. Plus you can turn around whenever you like

mtbr member
    I will be at the Minnewanka trailhead at 11am either way.

mtbr member
    I am in too.

Anybody else? Looks like conditions will be good.

Trevor

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I will be there, I am bringing my 9 year old, so if we fall off the back y'all won't need to feel bad.

mtbr member
    No problem Coldbike, sounds good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Looking less promising for me, my son now has a fever and I may have to bail. Merde! I was looking forward to seeing other people than me riding on snow. I even lubed my chain today!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The kid is puking. Have some fun for me.

mtbr member
    Guys. The trans Canada is in danger of being shut west of lac de arcs due to severe freezing rain. All trails west of Cochrane are coated in ice.

The parks Canada guy who lives around the corner from me says the trail around Minnewanka is very icy. This looks doomed.

mtbr member
    Ride cancelled for today due to expected bad road conditions. We'll try again sometime.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Bumping thread as I'm interested if another is organized out west (ie kananaskis to banff) somewhere...

mtbr member
    well since saturday is global fat bike we could try to get something going again for saturday. Global Fat-Bike Day 12/1/2012 | FAT-BIKE.COM
    It's go time

conjoinicorned
    i can maybe do saturday, maybe...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Could maybe manage Saturday too...

mtbr member
    Well I guess my wife has "plans" so I'm stuck with kids. Maybe a night ride?
    It's go time

mtbr member
    Pretty busy this weekend but I'll come if I can. I'm also in for night rides next week.

mtbr member
    Attachment 741032
    The trails around the glenmore reservoir are great for a night ride right now...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast