Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Proposed - Snow bike group ride around Calgary

5K views 44 replies 9 participants last post by  trevorrr 
#1 ·
Hey guys - I'm proposing we try to put together a group ride for snow bikes on November 18th (Sunday). I'm open to suggestions about where we should ride - Fish Creek? Cochrane? West Bragg Creek? Further West? I normally like to ride 2-3 hours.

I'm not against including people with regural mountain bikes, but if everyone is on fat bikes at least we will all be equally slow or fast on a given terrain.

Is anybody interested?

#37 ·
I'm going to try West Bragg Creek again on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday. According to the k-country trail report from yesterday:

Between 5 and 10 cm of snow fell in the area last weekend. This new snow and recent grooming has
left the trails with what some skiers are calling the best ski conditions of the season for this area.
Caution is still advised for natural hazards and ice flows.

We won't be on the XC ski trails though - we will be on the all season singletrack trails (Braggin Rights, Reconnect, Long Distance).

Anybody else have some time off and want to give it a go?

#40 ·
There is a new group on Google+ - Fatbiking Alberta - open to all to discuss fatbiking in general, organize rides, discuss trail conditions, and so on.

MTBr wont let me post the link, just do a search on Google+ for it.

Can y'all spread the word and perhaps join up?

I am hoping to head out to West Bragg on Sunday. I rode there yesterday and the new snow that fell over the last few days has made the trails a little softer to ride but lots of fun.

#43 ·
Did the Bragging Rights, Reconnect, Long Distance loop. BR is in great shape, Reconnect is pretty soft, and LD is great. I don't think I'd recommend it for regular MTBs at this point - the soft parts would likely be walking, since I barely had enough traction with HuDu / Nate on the middle third. The LD downhill was super fun - I should have brought the GoPro.

#45 ·
For those that aren't also part of the Google Plus group mentioned above, we have a fat bike ride / race set up for West Bragg Creek tomorrow at 11. With all of the snow last week, conditions are apparently pretty marginal even for fat tires, so regular mtbs probably wouldn't have much fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.