mtbr member

Port Alberni Riding

I'm going to be doing a work trip to Port Alberni and definitely intend to bring my trail bike. Are there any trails relatively close to the town that are worth hitting up?

I plan on riding up in Comox/Cumberland area at least once, but that is about an hour a half drive from Alberni, so something a little closer to town would be nice if there is any.

Thanks for any info!

mtbr member
    I'm sure port alberni has some riding, they host some island cup races. I haven't been riding there but I have ridden near errington falls (hammerfest) which is a heck of a lot closer than the comox valley. Nanaimo has mt doumont as well. And if you are going for a long drive check out tzouhalem in Duncan if you can

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 888-rydr View Post
    I'm going to be doing a work trip to Port Alberni and definitely intend to bring my trail bike. Are there any trails relatively close to the town that are worth hitting up?

I plan on riding up in Comox/Cumberland area at least once, but that is about an hour a half drive from Alberni, so something a little closer to town would be nice if there is any.

Thanks for any info!
    Cumberland is great, but there is riding right around PA. Drop in at Ozzie's Cycle and ask for some ride ideas.

Ozzie's Sport 'n Cycle
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I didn't go to PA, but enjoyed some of Cumberland's trails. The trails right out of town were recently getting clear cut when I was there two years ago, so I don't know what it's like right now. The trail 'dodge city down hill' is dope. Outside of Cumberland/Courtenay is Forbidden Plateau-I liked it more there than the trails right out of Cumberland.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Assuming you are coming to the island on the ferry into Nanaimo. Dumont trails in Nanaimo are definitely worth a look and a closer drive from Port.

As for Cumberland. A nice little mixed two hour route, climb to the top of thirsty beaver, ride it to teapot, blue collar, over to crafty butcher, black hole to buggerred pig, them you can fool around in that little are for a bit.

It's similar to the route the BC bike race took last year. Good route.