mtbr member
    May 2005

Overwhelmed by BC options...

My wife and I will be driving through BC for a week or so in July. I am hoping to get a couple of days on bikes in that time but am a bit bewildered by the number of options. I had intended to do at least a day at Whistler, but don't want to be there during Crankworx, so that may be out. That said, we'll be going from east to west across the province and can set down for a day or two pretty much anywhere we want. Our needs will be:

bike rentals- I'm easy, but the wife is tough as she is 5' tall and has short legs, needs a standover height of around 27", so we'll need a pretty sizeable selection of rides

trails- we are New England riders, pretty intermediate. Fine with rocky, rooty, baby-heady rides. Prefer buff, don't mind reasonable climbing, not crazy about stunts/drops. I know BC is a VERY different animal, so lets call ourselves novices by your standards. We are capable riders, but pretty conservative in the 'freeride' sense. Fitness level is decent- looking for 3-5 hour rides.

Guides- sure. Willing to pay for this if it makes more sense than riding a trail network on our own where we could easily get in over our heads.

Lift-served- love to, but again, not big into high ladders, mandatory drops, giant roll-overs, etc. Love berms, love light tech, love fast buff and the general aesthetic of gravity biking. I occasionally ride Highland in NH (maybe you've heard/seen what that place is about?), but pretty much stick to the green circles there. Wife is certainly willing to ride lifts as long as there is some easy, flowy dirt (she ate up the mellow stuff at Big Mountain, MT last summer- but won't like any crazy stunting)- also a kids size downhill bike suits her fine and there are usually plenty of those available for rent at bike parks, I've found.

In the end, I think some valley xc rides on some 5" AM bikes would be ideal- but I just don't know how readily available such rides are in BC for someone without a pretty sick skillset. A cursory look through TGR, NSMB and Pinkbike threads makes everything seem epic and ultra-gnar, thus this post to inquire.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lastly- if anyone has any dog friendly accommodations recs I'd love that too.

Rock on- bigginz

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Many of the xc trails around Squamish are likely what you're looking for. Also Lost Lake trails at Whistler. Rentals at Whistler, check with one of the bike shops in Squamish.

mtbr member
    Donít be too worried about being in Whistler for Crankworx. I have been there for several with my family. The valley trails (lung powered) are deserted. As long as it is mid-week, the bike park is not too bad, especially if you do the singles line all day. The energy of Crankworx is fun and you donít want to miss Whistler if this is your only chance. WBP trails like Crank It Up are great for what you like Ė smooth, bermed with small table-top jumps.

Consider hitting Vancouver Island as well. There are lots of great trails. Several MTBR threads cover The Island well.

ups and downs
    Check with Endless Biking for guides if you're considering starting in North Vancouver, they can also do rentals. http://www.endlessbiking.com
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bigginz View Post
    My wife and I will be driving through BC for a week or so in July. I am hoping to get a couple of days on bikes in that time but am a bit bewildered by the number of options. I had intended to do at least a day at Whistler, but don't want to be there during Crankworx, so that may be out. That said, we'll be going from east to west across the province and can set down for a day or two pretty much anywhere we want. Our needs will be:

bike rentals- I'm easy, but the wife is tough as she is 5' tall and has short legs, needs a standover height of around 27", so we'll need a pretty sizeable selection of rides

trails- we are New England riders, pretty intermediate. Fine with rocky, rooty, baby-heady rides. Prefer buff, don't mind reasonable climbing, not crazy about stunts/drops. I know BC is a VERY different animal, so lets call ourselves novices by your standards. We are capable riders, but pretty conservative in the 'freeride' sense. Fitness level is decent- looking for 3-5 hour rides.

Guides- sure. Willing to pay for this if it makes more sense than riding a trail network on our own where we could easily get in over our heads.

Lift-served- love to, but again, not big into high ladders, mandatory drops, giant roll-overs, etc. Love berms, love light tech, love fast buff and the general aesthetic of gravity biking. I occasionally ride Highland in NH (maybe you've heard/seen what that place is about?), but pretty much stick to the green circles there. Wife is certainly willing to ride lifts as long as there is some easy, flowy dirt (she ate up the mellow stuff at Big Mountain, MT last summer- but won't like any crazy stunting)- also a kids size downhill bike suits her fine and there are usually plenty of those available for rent at bike parks, I've found.

In the end, I think some valley xc rides on some 5" AM bikes would be ideal- but I just don't know how readily available such rides are in BC for someone without a pretty sick skillset. A cursory look through TGR, NSMB and Pinkbike threads makes everything seem epic and ultra-gnar, thus this post to inquire.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lastly- if anyone has any dog friendly accommodations recs I'd love that too.

Rock on- bigginz
    East to west across BC...you have to decide on the South Route Fernie...Trail...Ooysoos....

Or the Middle Route

Golden Revelstoke Kamloops or Kelowna....

Don't think you are into the Northern Route Yellow head....

Places mentioned all have riding from lifts to XC cruisers.

mtbr member
    If you're through the Okanagan (south-central part of the province), I can take care of you with riding, accom, etc. Check the link in the sig.

We have a ton of singletrack, an exceptionally diverse selection of trails, a great bike park, white sand beaches, and wineries everywhere.

Let me know if your schedule works with a visit and I'll set you up.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Looking like Silver Star and Sunpeaks might be possibilities (in addition to Whistler). Taking the lower and middle routes.

Thanks for all suggestions. Leaving the east coast in 36 hours. Be in the Rockies by next Thursday. Word.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would suggest spending some time in revy and Squamish. Both places have good and most important well signed trail areas. Revy has a U R here map at every trail junction.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    New Denver, BC. Ssshhhhhh, it's a secret.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    First off welcome!

You could try sunpeaks or silverstar. Both have great trails for beginner-intermediate. Kamloops and Kelowna both have plenty of flowy trails in the vicinity and local bike rentals with what you are looking for. Locals should be able to help you out there.

The north shore, well there's a couple fairly easy trails by local standards and all of the gnarly stuff has ride around trails so you don't get in over your head. You could try Neds Atomic dustbin trail down Seymour mtn into Lynn valley and then enjoy the scenery of fishermans xc trail, very beautiful place.(map below) Whistler really is a blast with plenty of well marked trails with everything from easy and buff to short staining and many places to rent from. Even during crankworx during the week it shouldn't be too busy.

Arrgh, won't let me post links add the www to the following

.metrovancouver.org/about/maps/Maps/LSCRTrailMap.pdf

I looked at the Highland bike park website. Not bad but at only 625 feet of descent you are in for a treat here as that is only a 1/5th the local stuff.

I would really try to make to Whistler if I were you then maybe a trip to the shore for bragging rights with your friends. I might be able to help you out with some shore directions as I am off the next two weeks and will probably be riding pretty much every day. Most bike parks and shops here in town will have small bikes and even xs so the wife will be happy.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks all. Heading into BC in a couple of days and I'm stoked. Possibly Fernie on Thursday. Word word.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Guides hut group rides thurs night 7pm.
    everyone's welcome
    Stop by the guides hut on 2nd ave at 6:50 or so
    good group.
    see ya there

sam

1+1
    going for a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by calgarydave View Post
    New Denver, BC. Ssshhhhhh, it's a secret.
    Nice, cheers for the tip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    new denver has some cool stuff, with that said the kootenays rock.

PVR
    Crash Test Dummy
    Well.. are you going to give us a report on how your trip went bigginz?