Air Pirate

Overnight parking in Victoria for a Galloping Goose ride?

Working out logistics for a trip to several places in BC this coming July, and my wife decided The Galloping Goose trail looks like something she could handle riding (have to keep her happy so I get some time up in Whistler!)

She wants to take the MV Coho over to Victoria from Port Angeles, leave the car parked somewhere in the city, and ride the Galloping Goose to Sooke, spend the night at a B&B, then ride back the next day.

I would like to find some sort of safe overnight parking. To ride with my wife I have to take our tandem. I would like to bring my own bike as well for riding in Whistler and other areas we visit, but that would entail leaving it inside our van when it is parked overnight. I can always rent in Whistler, so the extra bike problem can be solved that way. I just need a heads-up by locals as far as what to do about parking.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Air Pirate
    40 views and no replies? Come on, I promise not to drink all your beer when I am up there!
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    I would leave the vehicle and bike in Port Angeles and take the Coho as walk ons if you are not going to whistler directly after the Goose. If you must take your vehicle across, I would suggest that you find parking with 24 hour security in Victoria, especially if you have the bike in the car. I have seen vehicles broken into at Goose parking lots. Parking shouldn't be a problem outside of Victoria. Find a garage or service station that will store your vehicle for the night.

@adelorenzo
    There is a Wal-mart right off the trail in Victoria. They are usually popular with RVers for overnight parking, at least the one around here is.

@adelorenzo
    Oh and I would never leave a bike inside or outside of a vehicle for any length of time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo View Post
    Oh and I would never leave a bike inside or outside of a vehicle for any length of time.
    Yeah. If your bike isn't stolen I wouldn't be surprised to find it missing parts (if left outside). It's not like Victoria is a haven for thieves, but your risk goes from pretty much none (if vehicle appears empty) to reasonable chance of break in if it looks like there is anything interesting (depending on area).

If you are staying at a hotel in Victoria (once you get back from Sooke) you could ask nicely if they have space to store your bike and whether you can park there for the night. Many of the nicer hotels downtown have secured parking in which it would probably be safe to even leave the bike in the car (of course you pay for that). Two off the top of my head are the Laurel Point Inn and the Delta Ocean Point Resort. Victoria is pretty bike friendly so I'd assume some hotels even have bike lockers.

The Greater Victoria Cycling Commission has bike locker rentals: Greater Victoria Cycling CoalitionGreater Victoria Cycling Coalition (www) .gvcc.bc.ca

There's an email contact on that page. They could probably recommend a parking solution in conjunction with a bike lock up (maybe Juan de Fuca rec center for parking and lock up there? I don't live in that area so I don't know).

A residential street near the goose in a good area of town would probably be a safe bet. More than one night and someone is going to call the cops on the unfamiliar vehicle though. Rosedale park near Strawberry vale school has park side parking (street view doesn't show it but the sat imagery does).

maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Santa+Anita+Ave&hl=en&sll=48.476702,-123.416221&sspn=0.003041,0.008256&geocode=FWGy4wIdSNKk-A&t=h&mra=prev&z=16

It's a better neighbourhood and just a quick cycle to the goose. Unfortunately google maps won't let me show the best way to ride from the park to the goose (it's through the park and down blueridge).

maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Santa+Anita+Ave&daddr=Camden+Ave&hl=en&sll=48.467202,-123.417835&sspn=0.024329,0.066047&geocode=FWGy4wIdSNKk-A%3BFTSG4wIdpq2k-A&dirflg=b&mra=pr&t=m&z=15&lci=bike

Anyhow, there are a few more options. Feel free to PM with any questions. I've live in Victoria most of my life so know it fairly well.

Sorry, had the links linkified, but I don't have the posting history to do that (yet) so I had to leave them as raw URLs to copy and paste.

mtbr member
    There is free parking on most residential streets in Victoria. Crime is low. Just cover your bike with a sheet or tarp and nobody is going to mess with it. Park anywhere out of downtown in a real neighbourhood and you'll be fine.

I can't count the number of times I've left my truck unlocked with bikes and other sports gear inside. It's never been messed with and we don't live in one of Victoria's upscale neigbourhoods.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com