Anytime. Anywhere.

One Legged Riding

The trails are wet so I went out for a training ride on my road fixie. Everything was going fine and I was heading home on my loop when it felt like my Crank Brothers cleat was coming off my shoe. I stop to check it and my right pedal is on the bottom of my shoe with a stub of stainless steel axle left in the crank. Crap I'm about 10 - 12 km from home and I've got no spare pedals in my pack. Well spinning a 70" gear with your left leg is no easy task once you hit even a slight hill. I had to walk a couple of spots but made pretty good time considering.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Double-metric mtb man
    Ouch, that sux. Glad that you didn't tag / stab yourself with the stub, Travis!
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I was carefull enough not to slice myself open. Right leg was tired from holding it out of the way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    When my buddies eggs blow up he usually just slides the body back onto the spindle and (dangerously) finishes the ride. I always makes sure to tell him about the thousands upon thousands of miles I have no my sets of SPDs without a single failure.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    It took 11 stitches to close the SPD slash to the back of my ankle. That and the SPD frustration in mud and snow is enough to turn me off.

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm with Travis on this one. Had SPD's, but when you dab and it is remotely moist, you're not getting back in without a stick to clear out the pedal and cleat. I'm a Clyde and have been running my Eggs hard without a hitch.

I guess it is partly luck of the draw. I might try some atacs if the Eggs do go....but I doubt I'll be back on Shimanos any time soon.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I don't want to start the whole eggs vs spuds debate, whatever floats yer boat. I was at a wet race last year on clay soil and was able to get clipped into my 515's faster than my friends on eggs, their cleats were soo full of mud that there was no way they would engage. I'm now on the newer 540's and have had zero mud issues.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Yep, the 540's look better in the mud department than the older SPD's. Still look sharp to me, and one sliced ankle is enough for me. CB or Time, no sharp edges.

On another note my right leg was more tired the next day even though my left had done all the pedaling. It was hard work holding it out of the way.

dreaming of bottlerockets
    The one-legged pedalling thing is a great off-season exercise for perfecting your spin. It helps remove the dead spots in your pedal stroke.

I do it on the road once-in-awhile when I'm bored .

This happened to me on flat pedals once before, on TBC Stepdowns actually...
    They make awesome frames, but I wouldn't trust the pedals again. It was only 2 months before they crapped out.
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Not too take anything away from you (i would have a lot of trouble riding like that ) but a couple years back at the 24 hours of adrenaline in whistler there was a 1 legged solo rider!! It feels pretty bad to get passed by a solo rider WITH 1 LEG!!!
    If things ever get rough in my life, im just gonna remember that 1 legged guy who was riding solo in the 24 hours through snow and 0 (and below temps)
    that 24 hours was harsh.

So far I haven't had any trouble with my Eggs, 2 1/2 years problem free, gotta love em.
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Yeah, I've seen a picture of that guy and he is truly incredible.

Members who have read this thread: 0