mtbr member
    Jul 2005

novice and kid friendly trails?

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend any novice/kid friendly trails in (or around) the Vancouver area? I'm trying to introduce my cousins family to our world of mtn biking. The 2 adults ride rigid bikes (cousin rides a Devinci Lisbon Hybrid rigid and the husband rides an old rigid Rocky Mtn) while the 2 kids (about 7 & 8 years old) ride newer Norco's with front suspensions. They've been riding long enough on paved trails to the point where they can handle their bikes reasonably well so I'd like to bring them to some easier dirt trails (maybe a little roots/rocks, but nothing super technical or steep). I want to introduce it to them at a good pace so that they're not intimidated. I consider myself an advanced intermediate, so I think I can teach them some proper technique and skills. Thanks all!

roots, rocks, rhythm
    I think SFU would be a good start and it is not hard to find.
    There is a variety of trails to chose from.
    Start off around North Road would be a good start.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Pacific Spirit regional park (UBC endowment lands) http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/...cspiritmap.pdf

Stanley Park

Lower Seymour Conversation - Fisherman's trail

Alice Lake 4 lakes loop (now that it is off-season they are open to biking)

Lost lake trails Whistler.

ups and downs
    Have they ridden in the UBC Endowment lands/Pacific Spirit park? They're improved the crap out of most of those trails so they are the mostly packed pea gravel surfaces with little glimpses of original dirt here and there. The section south of 16th has lots of variety and some elevation gain, but nothing that should put any newbies off of riding off road in the trees. They are all shared use so lots of pedestrians or dogwalkers, so you have to keep the speed down.

A loop that starts south on Douglas Fir (6), over to Iron Knee(32) and south to Imperial (12) and then west to pickup a connector down to SW Marine (28), then up Clinton (3) to Sasamat (22) to Council (4) Nature (15) to Cleveland (2) and back to 16th would likely be 75-90 minutes for recreational riders, with enough climbing to feel like they've accomplished something, but nothing that should have them pushing a bike or put the kids off, or have them get all cranky and bored.

If they still have some energy left, you can dive back in on one of the other trails and ride a couple of other loops.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails novice and kid friendly trails?-pacific-spirit-park-south.jpg  

Last edited by rockyuphill; 09-28-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks all! Great suggestions! I've checked out YouTube on all the suggestions and I think a good one to start with is going to be the Pacific Spirit Park....just to get them used to riding in the dirt. I checked out the vids of SFU as well and I think it may be a bit too advanced for them at this time (only saw vids on Mel's and Nicole trails). I may get them to try it out on their 2nd or 3rd outing though. U think their rigid bikes would be ok on the SFU trails? Like I mentioned above, one is an old Rocky Mtn XC rigid and the other is a Devinci Milano hybrid rigid (has 700c wheels).

ups and downs
    There's no trails at Pacific Spirit that wouldn't be fine on rigid bikes. SFU trails generally look more challenging than they are to newbie off roaders, just because you're combining hills and loose surfaces. Often it's not even the trail surface that un-nerves new off road riders, it's often just lots of changes in direction.

On the North Shore there's a trail network just north of Capilano University, just inside the Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve that has a newly upgraded trail surface that made it suck lemons for most MTB riders, but puts it squarely into the "just right" category for family rides. The trail entry is about 30m past the LSCR gate on the west side, it wiggles through the woods and then connects up to Baden Powell and spits you back out on the LSCR access road where they can ride along the berm on the east side of the road up to the LSCR parking lot and down to Fisherman's Trail. The trails all look like this, just follow the gravel that doesn't go downhill at that point.

novice and kid friendly trails?-2013_0713new0001.jpg

novice and kid friendly trails?-2013_0713new0004.jpg

If they get along fine with those family friendly trails, then you could take them on Fisherman's Trail which runs about 6km along the Seymour River, similar sort of wide all weather trail surface, with about 800-1000m of wide boardwalk thrown in the middle. When you get to the road at the end, you can turn right and roll down the road a 100m or so and there's another easy couple of trail loops around some wetlands. If they have lots of energy you can continue to ride on the East Branch gravel road all the way out to 13km near the Seymour Dam, and there's a new crossing from east to west that drops you out near the Fish Hatchery and you can return on the paved recreation road on the west side of the Seymour. When you get to the end of Fisherman's Trail you can also do the steep gravel climb up to the Mid Valley Lookout which has a nice little picnic spot.

novice and kid friendly trails?-2009_0517new0019.jpg

novice and kid friendly trails?-2010_0528new0015.jpg

novice and kid friendly trails?-2008_0707new0002.jpg

novice and kid friendly trails?-2008_1018new0010.jpg

novice and kid friendly trails?-2008_1018new0017.jpg
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 09-29-2013 at 05:18 PM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada