mtbr member

New to Calgary, is COP XC friendly?

Just wondering what the deal is with COP park in Calgary. This will be my second summer in Calgary. I am looking for fast XC single track and fire roads with a little bit of technical stuff. Not looking for big drops or downhill stuff.

Last year I bombed around Nose Hill a bunch. That wasn't too bad.

I heard there are unofficial trails to the south/east of COP that are more XC style. And what are the green trails like at COP? Rideable with a fast XC hardtail? Or do the greens runs at COP still have drops/jumps?(COP has a mtb trail map on their website).

Any other hidden gems in Calgary?

I live in Varsity, so I'm close to Nose Hill, COP, and Bowmont area.

Thanks for any info and input.

mtbr member
    For in-city stuff, your best (and closest) bet is probably bowmont / sideshow and 12mile if you feel like extending the loop a bit. If you're looking for someone to take you out for a tour of these trails let me know as we could probably arrange something after they dry out.

Aside from that, check out Doug Eastcott's book 'Backcountry Biking in the Canadian Rockies' for the lowdown on all of the phenomenal XC offerings in the Bragg Creek / Kananaskis area.

There are also some XC trails on the East side of COP but I've only ridden them a few times as I prefer the closer offering of sideshow / bowmont. A few other people on this site are a lot more knowledgable about those so I'll let them chime in.
    Everypony loves riding bikes

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Your looking for Sidshow BOB just west of Varsity down by the river...as per xker...

Also a little bit over by Edworthy Park...

I have ridden the East of COP on the XC trails fun kinda like an easy Nose hill....not sure if the patrol the area or not???

COP has lots of runs that an XC rider can handle....even if lots of guys ride 6 inch rigs there...

Bragg Creek Station Flats is your next stop.....unless you want to ride the paths down to Fish Creek again like Nose Hill.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Did some research on sideshow bob. Looks like it is a steep fall in some spots. I'll have to try it after a few weeks of warming up on Nose Hill.

This is probably old news to most of you, but I just found the Calgary Mountain Bike Alliance. It has a website with some good info. Coming from a small city back east, these types of resources are awesome! Found a good map of the trails in Bragg Creek (can't post links yet).

I'm assuming these are XC style trails because of their multi-use nature - bikes, horses, hikers, XC skiing.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MP87 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Did some research on sideshow bob. Looks like it is a steep fall in some spots. I'll have to try it after a few weeks of warming up on Nose Hill.

This is probably old news to most of you, but I just found the Calgary Mountain Bike Alliance. It has a website with some good info. Coming from a small city back east, these types of resources are awesome! Found a good map of the trails in Bragg Creek (can't post links yet).

I'm assuming these are XC style trails because of their multi-use nature - bikes, horses, hikers, XC skiing.
    Yup lots of XC riders out there.....lots of trails are steep and there are lots of non mapped trails out there that tend toward the steeper side of life....smarten up pay attention and be careful....and you can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    bikepirate has some good trail info the the area....
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    Thanks.

I checked out a bit of the bowmont area a couple days ago. Some was a bit wet so I steered clear, but lots was dry. I plan on trying the longer twelve mile coulee route too. Also hit up nose hill. Again, a mix of wet and dry, just had to keep my eyes open to miss the wet stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nose hill and bowmont were very dry today and yesterday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I hit up Nose Hill this afternoon and the trails there are in great condition

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

... and if we just ...

C.O.P Has some decent runs. The blue's are more jump oriented. The green runs are nice! But the cost is $25 for the day. One of my favourite places to ride is Moose Mountain. Is is located just outside Bragg Creek. Most the trails are DownHill or FreeRide. But they have a few great green runs. That you can get some good speed on single track style. There is also the option of biking up the mountain on a XC trail!

Hope you try these trails out!
    Happy Riding!

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    The OP raises a good question. I've always wondered if the winter-use XC ski trails on the east side of COP are open for riding in the summer. Whenever I've been there, they seem to be fenced off, but it would be great if they were rideable in the summer.
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentP View Post
    The OP raises a good question. I've always wondered if the winter-use XC ski trails on the east side of COP are open for riding in the summer. Whenever I've been there, they seem to be fenced off, but it would be great if they were rideable in the summer.
    If you're talking about the "Eastlands" area, I hear through the grapevine that it is no longer being patrolled. It may even be mapped shortly. Just a rumor.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    If you're talking about the "Eastlands" area, I hear through the grapevine that it is no longer being patrolled. It may even be mapped shortly. Just a rumor.
    Geez I have been riding that area since 2007 access from the top of CFCN Hill at the east end.....