Thread: n00b whistler'n

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

n00b whistler'n

A funny thing happen when our other options for Memorial weekend plans fell through, the wife said -- "we are going to Whistler for 4 nights at the end of May". I just kind of looked at her with a look of, "oh, really?" And thought, "do you know what you are committing to?"

I know Vancouver well, heck, I've ridden between Vancouver and Lion's Gate. I know nothing about Whistler. We are staying at the Fairmont. I need to do the homework on what bike rental options are available (my main XC FS rig is a Rocky ETSX).

My question is - are there decent fat tire tours up there? Or someone willing to do some leading? I ride regularly here in Santa Cruz and am probably an intermediate (give or take) XC rider. My wife is a trooper, has the endurance from distance road riding, but is strictly XC. What is a good trail guide? Is there an organization to reach out to?

Thanks
    -j

ups and downs
    One important thing to consider is that trail difficulty ratings are not the same in this part of the world, a Blue Intermediate trail in Whistler might be considered a black diamond trail in many other areas, with the natural terrain challenges making up for technical trail features.

Lost Lake trails right in Whistler are all intermediate XC trails. Many of the other natural trails in the vicinity tend to be a bit more challenging (as opposed to the Bike Park - which is a different sort of challenge).

There are some MTB tour companies that service the area that could provide guided rides to match your skills/interests.

Whistler | Ticket2RideBC

Home | Endless Biking

Welcome to Bear Back Biking.

but if you're after some epic XC, you might want to consider something like the Tyax Air Spruce Lake float plane shuttle.

...and some of the best XC trails on the coast are just down the highway in Squamish or a bit further up the highway in Pemberton.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    One important thing to consider is that trail difficulty ratings are not the same in this part of the world, a Blue Intermediate trail in Whistler might be considered a black diamond trail in many other areas, with the natural terrain challenges making up for technical trail features.

Lost Lake trails right in Whistler are all intermediate XC trails. Many of the other natural trails in the vicinity tend to be a bit more challenging (as opposed to the Bike Park - which is a different sort of challenge).

There are some MTB tour companies that service the area that could provide guided rides to match your skills/interests.

Whistler | Ticket2RideBC

Home | Endless Biking

Welcome to Bear Back Biking.

but if you're after some epic XC, you might want to consider something like the Tyax Air Spruce Lake float plane shuttle.

...and some of the best XC trails on the coast are just down the highway in Squamish or a bit further up the highway in Pemberton.
    Rocky - its the end of May. Best to keep it focused on snow-free trails and with just 4 days stick to Whistler/Pemberton trails

OP- there's a guidebook for Whistler trails that will help.

Whistler Mountain Biking Guide Review | Mountain Bike Review

Whistler Mountain Biking Guide Review | Mountain Bike Review

As a gudeline your wife will like the Lost Lake trails. Also trails like Runaway Train, Trash, Cheakamus River trails. She'll probably walk parts of trails like Kill Me Thrill Me. I believe there were a few discussions about the valley trails in Whistler with suggestions for graduated ride levels floating around. Take a look at those older threads too
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks both LeeL and rockyuphill -

My wife and I live in Santa Cruz, CA. I ride what are local intermediate+ trails fairly regularly, but my wife does not. The bulk of this trip will need to cater to both -- she is intermediate in endurance, but beginner+ in skills with a "try" attitude bordering on intermediate. So I will need to gauge accordingly.

Spruce Lake would be fun to do, but not practical for this trip.

I ordered the "Whistler Mountain Biking" book and it showed up just now. I will use the recommendation above to help plan the rides, maybe even coordinating with some commercially led rides. (If time wasn't an issue, I'd be open to toddling on my own...)

Thank you again. A friend's sister lives in Squamish and he was living with her for awhile and mountain bikes, so I'm also pursuing that recommendation angle.

When decisions are made, I will post them as well as post about experiences...

-j

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    You won't regret biking in Squamish if you have the time. Alice Lake trails are seasonally closed for biking in summer but there's lots of options eg Jacks, Roller Coaster, Trestle trail then retire to the Shady Tree deck for huge meals
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/