mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Is Mountainside Lodge good place to stay in Whistler?

I can exchange my time share for a week here. We are a 40+ couple looking for XC trail riding and nice views while we are not riding. Plan to go in June.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The mountainside lodge has worked out well for me and my riding buddies in the past. Have had a few. Complaints/problems over the years but nothing outrageous (pool closed, lack of responsible staff at night, noise). Not sure about the views. I think they only really have limited views because of the position. I'll stay there time and time again with the riding buddies but will step it up to the sundial or westin when I bring the family this summer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Not bad but not five stars

Hope this isn't too late for ya. haven't been on this site lately

Mountainside Lodge isn't too bad. Now it's not the Fairmont but if you're trading points or weeks I probably don't care so much. Mountainside is outdated and little small. The rooms with the loft upstairs have plenty of room. I've stayed there. Recently I had friends from home stay there and they brought their two teenage boys with them. I know you can live with that room if they could. The place might not have a view has the Pan Pacific Mountainside is between the Lodge and the mountain. If you get the other side of the building the view's good. The good news is the location is great!! It's right in the middle of everything. The staff is cool. The bike storage is safe. I've left my bike there the whole season.. I mean only when friends stayed there a few years ago and my $5000+ bicycle was always there. I really think you'll like it if you're exchanging time.

The real question is do you know what XC means in BC? I'm not sure where you're coming from but I'm from Maryland and the first time I rode an "XC" trail (the River) in the valley I was like what the hell is this! First I would get a hold of Brian Finestone's Whistler Valley trails book. Sorry I don't know the title as I lost that book. It will be priceless to you if you don't know the area. Maybe I'm writing for nothing but seeing as you're coming in June that makes me think this is your first time coming up to Whistler.
    Lost lake is a great place for the first day and if you like long rides check out Comfortably Numb.

June will be wet but it stays light til almost midnight! If you can go anytime pick late July or August. September's quiet but the trails shouldn't be crowded if you stick to XC. except maybe weekends! Don't forget to check out Squamish and/or Pemberton if you're driving.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The book is "Whistler Mountain Biking" about $25 on Amazon. I have it and am Whistler bound this Tuesday. I expect we will do a bit of trails and a bit of toddling on the rental bikes. Rain is expected most of the week, so, the wife and I will take it as we see it.

Personally, I plan on sticking to in/near Whistler. Talking with the concierge where we are sating, despite the high chance of rain on Wunderground/etc. it is the typical BC forecast -- plan for temperature and variable weather.

I mainly ride XC here in Santa Cruz and we are planning on 2 days of riding together, 1 day of me getting some more technical solo-time in. I'll be hitting Comfortbaly Numb that day.