Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Manitoba

mtbr member
    May 2010

Manitoba

Any fellow riders on here from Manitoba?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yes, it would seem you are new here too. Do you happen to have any decent rail recommendations?

-Bryce

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Where are you from in Manitoba?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Winnipeg, you?

-Bryce

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Morden. Have you ever bike the trails around here?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Another rider in MB here. Winnipeg area.

Decent trails? Depends upon how far you want to drive.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Theres some pretty good trails around here. There is also the Back Forty Race coming up. Have you ever rode the trails here?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Never heard of the Back Forty Race. Which trails around where?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Never ridden any trails around Morden, and I have never heard of the Back Forty Race. Morden isn't that far from Winnipeg, mind me asking where the trails are around there? I'm always looking for new places to ride.

-Bryce

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The trails are just outside of Morden around Lake Minnewasta. The race is coming up on July 4.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Cool, did some googling and found a bit of info on how to get to the trails, looks like they would be good, nice terrain around there, nice golf course too, been years since I have played it...

Man trying to find info on trail in MB is like looking for a needle in a haystack...

Quote Originally Posted by bikedreamer
    Another rider in MB here. Winnipeg area.

Decent trails? Depends upon how far you want to drive.
    Anything inside of 4 hours for sake of discussion. We should try to put together a list with some directions/tips on where to ride and how to find places so it would make things easier to find. Personally just getting into this without someone to follow around, it has been rather difficult to find trails.

-Bryce

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Si[xXx]er
    Cool, did some googling and found a bit of info on how to get to the trails, looks like they would be good, nice terrain around there, nice golf course too, been years since I have played it...

Man trying to find info on trail in MB is like looking for a needle in a haystack...

Anything inside of 4 hours for sake of discussion. We should try to put together a list with some directions/tips on where to ride and how to find places so it would make things easier to find. Personally just getting into this without someone to follow around, it has been rather difficult to find trails.

-Bryce
    Yeah, it can be tough finding trails on the 'net. Here's a few suggestions:

1) Grand Beach - there are a few miles of singletrack woven in with the ski trails. At least, I hope it is still singletrack, and not quadded wreck.
    2) Ingolf - actually in Ontario, but within two hours drive of Winnipeg. Canadian Shield Country. Rocky, rooty, some nice tech sections, but prone to being a bit wet. It's shared with the cottagers and rednecks with quads, but I overlook that because they were there first, I believe.
    3) Birch - near Roseisle. I don't have a very accurate report on this one, as I have only ridden it once, and I know I missed a lot of it. Pretty hilly. Need membership with MCA to ride there.
    4) Brandon Hills - south of Brandon. Maybe 20 km of trail, give or take. Plenty of hills, including one that is pretty much up (or down) for over a kilometer. Nice flow there, but watch for the poison ivy.
    5) Spruce Woods - Epinette Trail. Not technical, and they have bypassed a lot of the hills with a recent trail reroute. Actually more of a XC ski trail. About 40 km of riding. Add on the TransCanada Trail - again not technical, but will give you some extra time in the saddle.
    6) Riding Mountain Park - not familiar with this one, other than a lung busting climb up the Jet trail on the east side. Thought my frikkin heart was going to explode, but then again, I was a smoker back then too.
    7) Falcon Lake - Whiteshell Provincial Park. Single track off of the ski trails - reasonably technical, with a fair number of roots and rocks.
    8) Sandilands Provincial Forest, near Marchand. There was word that some new trails might be cut through there. At one time, there were two nice sized loops of singletrack carved through there. The quadders seemed to think that was an open invite for them to "ride and wreck" those trails. Then, a quad poker derby ended up burning down a few thousands of acres of surrounding forest. I avoid the place now, but maybe will return one day. Oh, have I mentioned how much I despise some quadders and their ridiculous machines?
    9) monkey trails throughout Winnipeg - right now, most of them are probably muddy messes due to the rivers being so high. Some good riding, though, especially near Whittier Park.

There are a few bike shops in Winnipeg that have riding clubs, or will offer you advice.

PM me if you want more info on any particular trail.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Wow bikedreamer, thanks for the info, I will have to check out some of those trails. FWI I was out at Sandilads last fall and all of the XC ski trails are now wide, deep, soft sand, so you best be ready for a workout if you head out there. Was their with a friend, and eventually we did find some narrower singletrack but not much, and by then we were so bagged from the sand me didn't do much exploring. Might be an area worth going if you know someone who knows where to go and what to ride.

Also, are the posts in this thread all out of order for anyone else or just me?

-Bryce

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Si[xXx]er
    Wow bikedreamer, thanks for the info, I will have to check out some of those trails. FWI I was out at Sandilads last fall and all of the XC ski trails are now wide, deep, soft sand, so you best be ready for a workout if you head out there. Was their with a friend, and eventually we did find some narrower singletrack but not much, and by then we were so bagged from the sand me didn't do much exploring. Might be an area worth going if you know someone who knows where to go and what to ride.

Also, are the posts in this thread all out of order for anyone else or just me?

-Bryce
    Yeah, it can be quite a workout at times. Best time to ride is after it has been raining - it firms up the sand a bit. Downside is that you'll be needing to clean your drivetrain after the ride.

There is (or was, at least) two loops of singletrack. One started just a bit east of the entrance to the ski trails (off of 210), while another one started approximately 3 km further east down the same highway. I know some of that goes through the burn zone, so there is some trail that might be obliterated.

Maybe try contacting the Manitoba Cycling Association to see if they know if anyone has developed more trail out there.

Oh, I almost forgot - there is another trail, close to the city: Bur Oak, at Birds Hill Park. Nice little loop, about 6 km long. All singletrack, mostly hardpack dirt, with the occasional patch of sand. Dries up pretty quickly after its been raining (except for a few low lying areas). Worth checking out.

As for the posts being out of order: yeah, its an odd system. Not sure how they do it, but basically look for any posts marked with an orange flag - those are the ones you haven't read yet (assuming you are signed in). If someone answers with a quote, that answer will be further up than another answer that wasn't a quote.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah I have ridden Bur Oak a few times, it is fairly close to the city which is nice and handy. Now all we need is a bit of decent weather to get out and do some riding...

I figured out the posts thing, if you go into My Account and then under Settings and Options select Edit Options there is a way to change how threads are displayed, Linear - Oldest First seems to make the most sense, it's just the order in which things have been posted, makes threads much easier to follow I think.

-Bryce

mtbr member
    May 2010
    You hould try riding by Morden. There is about sixteen kilometers of trails around the lake and in that area. If you follow the Trans Canada on gravel roads for quite a few miles south of Morden there is another section of trails.
    If you check out http://www.tinkercreekcycle.ca/back-40-race/course-map/ there is a map of the trails.
    One day if you come out here and I have time maybe I could show you around.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it can be tough finding trails on the 'net. Here's a few suggestions:

1) Grand Beach - there are a few miles of singletrack woven in with the ski trails. At least, I hope it is still singletrack, and not quadded wreck.
    2) Ingolf - actually in Ontario, but within two hours drive of Winnipeg. Canadian Shield Country. Rocky, rooty, some nice tech sections, but prone to being a bit wet. It's shared with the cottagers and rednecks with quads, but I overlook that because they were there first, I believe.
    3) Birch - near Roseisle. I don't have a very accurate report on this one, as I have only ridden it once, and I know I missed a lot of it. Pretty hilly. Need membership with MCA to ride there.
    4) Brandon Hills - south of Brandon. Maybe 20 km of trail, give or take. Plenty of hills, including one that is pretty much up (or down) for over a kilometer. Nice flow there, but watch for the poison ivy.
    5) Spruce Woods - Epinette Trail. Not technical, and they have bypassed a lot of the hills with a recent trail reroute. Actually more of a XC ski trail. About 40 km of riding. Add on the TransCanada Trail - again not technical, but will give you some extra time in the saddle.
    6) Riding Mountain Park - not familiar with this one, other than a lung busting climb up the Jet trail on the east side. Thought my frikkin heart was going to explode, but then again, I was a smoker back then too.
    7) Falcon Lake - Whiteshell Provincial Park. Single track off of the ski trails - reasonably technical, with a fair number of roots and rocks.
    8) Sandilands Provincial Forest, near Marchand. There was word that some new trails might be cut through there. At one time, there were two nice sized loops of singletrack carved through there. The quadders seemed to think that was an open invite for them to "ride and wreck" those trails. Then, a quad poker derby ended up burning down a few thousands of acres of surrounding forest. I avoid the place now, but maybe will return one day. Oh, have I mentioned how much I despise some quadders and their ridiculous machines?
    9) monkey trails throughout Winnipeg - right now, most of them are probably muddy messes due to the rivers being so high. Some good riding, though, especially near Whittier Park.

There are a few bike shops in Winnipeg that have riding clubs, or will offer you advice.

PM me if you want more info on any particular trail.

Cheers!
    There's also a new trail cut just north of Kenora off Trout Lake Road. Very similar to Ingolf just more technical. Minaki has a trail network as well.

mtbr member
    Winnipeg rider here. So far I've ridden whittier (live very close to it), seine trail on the other side of provencher (want to do some trail building here), togo/churchhill (great trail, but a mess now), and bur oak. I'm fairly new to the area and would love to hook up some group rides. Hoping to discover the monkey trails soon (was hoping today but looks like rain)...
    anyone interested in setting up a group ride?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thekrow4jc
    Winnipeg rider here. So far I've ridden whittier (live very close to it), seine trail on the other side of provencher (want to do some trail building here), togo/churchhill (great trail, but a mess now), and bur oak. I'm fairly new to the area and would love to hook up some group rides. Hoping to discover the monkey trails soon (was hoping today but looks like rain)...
    anyone interested in setting up a group ride?
    Sounds interesting.

How far down the Seine trail did you go, btw? Are you talking in between Provencher and Marion? Or did you go south of Marion, too?

mtbr member
    i just do the provencher to marion stretch. needs some work on the trails. some under water right now i didn't know there was more south of marion. where's the trailhead?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thekrow4jc
    i just do the provencher to marion stretch. needs some work on the trails. some under water right now i didn't know there was more south of marion. where's the trailhead?
    Behind the IGA..is it still IGA??

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The trailhead for the section south of Marion was on the east end of the footbridge, a few blocks south of Marion. It kind of weaves in and out, and you have to ride the road a few times. Only problem is that one wanker put up a fence, and blocked access. Not sure if it is still up or not - haven't been down there in a while now.

Is any part of the Winston Churchill Dr. trail above water now?

Single Speed Nation
    The trailhead for the section south of Marion was on the east end of the footbridge, a few blocks south of Marion. It kind of weaves in and out, and you have to ride the road a few times. Only problem is that one wanker put up a fence, and blocked access. Not sure if it is still up or not - haven't been down there in a while now.

Is any part of the Winston Churchill Dr. trail above water now?
    Fence is gone, churchill drive trails are more or less dry by now.

You're J-R, right?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by great_big_abyss
    Fence is gone, churchill drive trails are more or less dry by now.

You're J-R, right?
    Good to hear that the fence is gone. Definitely need to get out on the Churchill Drive section sometime soon.

Nope, not J.R.

mtbr member
    awesome thanks for the update. I know where I'm riding this weekend Love that trail.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast