Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Manitoba

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm a fan of the (mediocre) trails in Birds Hill Park, if only for convenience. It's reasonably close so I can ride out, spend some time on trail, and ride back without killing myself.

Anybody have any other suggestions that would be closer out my way (Selkirk)?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by [STD]Ein
    I'm a fan of the (mediocre) trails in Birds Hill Park, if only for convenience. It's reasonably close so I can ride out, spend some time on trail, and ride back without killing myself.

Anybody have any other suggestions that would be closer out my way (Selkirk)?
    There might be a small set of trails on the Hwy 9 bypass, west of Selkirk, and about 1/2 mile south of Manitoba Road. I remember having my mountain bike out there maybe a decade ago or so.

Check it out on Google maps (satellite view) - it's on the right side of the road.

As far as anything else technical, within riding distance...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedreamer
    There might be a small set of trails on the Hwy 9 bypass, west of Selkirk, and about 1/2 mile south of Manitoba Road. I remember having my mountain bike out there maybe a decade ago or so.

Check it out on Google maps (satellite view) - it's on the right side of the road.

As far as anything else technical, within riding distance...
    Ah I think that might be gone, will check it out though. There used to be a small, very ridable inactive quarry right around there that had some pretty insane 80+% grade downhill stretches (100ft at 80% = scary fast at the bottom, especially when you're a tween), bikes in the summer, snowmobiles (a tight squeeze) in the winter. Thinking it might have been part of the same property.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Group Ride at Birch (Roseisle) on Wedesday nights

Hey guys - the local bike club in Portage la Prairie, Junk Yard Dogs, has group rides at Birch trails every Wednesday nights. Meet at the parking lot at 6 and we bike for 2-2.5hrs. Birch can be very confusing because of the amount of trails, but the guys and gals are great to ride with and will show you around. Downside? Got to have a MCA license to ride it... there isn't someone checking for them, but it is good to support MCA and to follow the rules. Hope to see more Winnipeggers out on the trails at Birch! It's a great ride that too many people don't know about!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Just a heads up for riders in Winnipeg: There has been some of the old singletrack cleared on that trail along the Red River, between St. Mary's Rd and Churchill Drive. It's a short stretch, near Mulvey Street. One entrance has a north shorelike ladder, so use caution there. If you use that as an entry point, prepare for a sharp right turn at the bottom. You have to reconnect with the gravel trail just past the concrete/stone runoff thing.

I'll post more, as I clear more trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedreamer View Post
    Just a heads up for riders in Winnipeg: There has been some of the old singletrack cleared on that trail along the Red River, between St. Mary's Rd and Churchill Drive. It's a short stretch, near Mulvey Street. One entrance has a north shorelike ladder, so use caution there. If you use that as an entry point, prepare for a sharp right turn at the bottom. You can reconnect with the gravel trail just past the concrete/stone runoff thing.

I'll post more, as I clear more trail.
    And now this section is raked and good to ride. I'm working on a new stretch just north of this one. Another week or so should see it clear, weather permitting.

Pex
    mtbr member
    I started building a trail along the red river at university of Manitoba, hoping to complete the entire river crescent summer 2013, accepting help if anyone is interested. Otherwise some more trail use would help pack down the track, check it out

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    I started building a trail along the red river at university of Manitoba, hoping to complete the entire river crescent summer 2013, accepting help if anyone is interested. Otherwise some more trail use would help pack down the track, check it out
    Where exactly does it start, Pex? Could I ride it on a cyclocross bike with 700c wheels, or is it pretty rough?

Pex
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedreamer View Post
    Where exactly does it start, Pex? Could I ride it on a cyclocross bike with 700c wheels, or is it pretty rough?
    Manitoba-screen-shot-2013-04-14-11.14.00-am.jpg

Trails at the University of Manitoba.

The blue is the trail that my wife and I built, the green is an existing trail that is very fun. We are hoping to connect the two this spring/summer, but it is a lot of work.

You should be able to ride it on your bike if it's dry. There is a section with a very steep decent which may be a little rough on your bike, but you could always walk that part. The ground can be a bit soft which is why we need more people riding it to compact to soil!
    Last edited by Pex; 04-14-2013 at 02:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 11.14.00 AM.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	790547

Trails at the University of Manitoba.

The blue is the trail that my wife and I built, the green is an existing trail that is very fun. We are hoping to connect the two this spring/summer, but it is a lot of work.

You should be able to ride it on your bike if it's dry. There is a section with a very steep decent which may be a little rough on your bike, but you could always walk that part. The ground can be a bit soft which is why we need more people riding it to compact to soil!
    What's needed as far as trail building is concerned? Shovels? Rakes? Saws? I can probably do that, but I don't think I have any power tools that would be useful for this.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Anyone know if Bur Oak (Bird's Hill) is rideable yet?
    2011 Yeti 575 - Fox Float 36 RC2 160 - 31.5 lbs

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Anyone know if Bur Oak (Bird's Hill) is rideable yet?

I was there a few days ago, it was bone dry. I hear grand beach is good as well but I haven't been there personally.

LCW
    mtbr member

Manitoba

Good to know - thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    There are some relatively new trails for mountain biking out in Sandilands (an hour or so south east of the city). Maybe check with the bike store in Steinbach for the best way to get to it, and a map. Ride it while the going is good - it may not last forever.

LCW
    mtbr member

Manitoba

I had heard some rumblings about trails in the Sandilands. Will have to check it out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Just watch out for the dirt bikers. They don't show a lot of respect for the new trails, and that soil is mighty sandy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I went out there last year and used this as a guide:

Strava Segment | Sandilands Racecourse

My iphone didn't work at the trail head but once we got up the hills I had reception and could follow the strava app map with my gps. I would print it out also.

To get there is confusing because there isn't any road markings. The best thing I can remember is once you turn left on the dirt road off of #52, you go down it for around or less than 5 minutes. There are a few unmarked turnoffs, but the one to use has a faded white post at the turn. It will be a right hand turn. (this is all from memory so be careful). You will end up at a big sand hill. The trail starts to the left of the sand hill.

Or follow someone with a dirtbike or quad on a trailer. They will most likely be going there as well.

It took us around 1 1/2 hrs from winnipeg to get there with the having to locate the place from scratch.

The trails are 80-90% sandy singletrack with some sandy doubletrack for the rest.

Theyre pretty flowy for the most part with medium intensity climbing for short periods. Lots of ruts also.

Be careful of the moto guys, they have trails that criss cross the main trails, which they use also. We followed these for a bit but they are suited to motos with steep ups and downs and serious ruts.

When I got to the trailhead the first time there wasn't anyone else around. By the time we did a few laps, there were at least 20 quads and motos and they were having hill climbing competitions. Oh yah and horses too. Its pretty much the social centre of the area.

One guy I talked to had no idea they had hosted mtb races there previously. The next race is June 2 2013. MTB Cup #2 ? Sandilands | Manitoba Cycling Association

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    On an unrelated note, is Brandon Hills rideable yet?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3