Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Manitoba

mtbr member
    Is anyone up for organizing with me a trail repair day? I was thinking of the upper xc trail in whittier, and along the seine for starters. They need some loving.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thekrow4jc
    Is anyone up for organizing with me a trail repair day? I was thinking of the upper xc trail in whittier, and along the seine for starters. They need some loving.
    see PM, krow

Maybe contact some of the bike shops. Sometimes they do trail maintenance, or would know some volunteers.

mtbr member

Trail Report

Just finished 16.5km of trail.

Seine trail (provencher to Marion) is dry. I went in and did a bit of cleaning and maintenance. Rerouted a section around the fallen tree after the decent.

Whittier - all dry except lower XC trail still mucky. Could use some clearing of vegetation to see some parts of the trails.

Churchhill - excellent. Heavy vegetation along the trail, some parts totally covered. and almost unrideable. I was delighted to discover a lil north shore bridge and a beginning of a dirt jump. Trail needs some clearing of plants and the ladder bridges need repair.

Misercordia - drying, not to bad so far.

Single Speed Nation
    The monkey trails are pretty much all dry by now, too.

Run to Togo could use some loving. I have a chainsaw and a truck, if somebody else has an old lawnmower or a gas powered weed wacker. We could go there one evening and wreak some havoc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I could maybe lend a hand sometime, not like I really know what I'm doing, both on the bike and in terms of trail building but hey I guess you have to learn somehow. I do have a truck also and have spent far more time with a lawnmower and weed wacker than any one person should ever have to. I'm pretty busy for the remainder of this week, but another time I could try to help out.

-Bryce

mtbr member
    let's organize and evening next week to do some work on togo (proper name for churchhill?) I don't have much for tools, but I do have a willingness to fix up this great singeltrack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well it looks like I'm going to be in the Dauphin/Riding Mountain area next week and was going to take my bike with me and see what kind of trouble I could get myself into. Does anyone have any trail recommendations in the area? I know there are some walking/hiking trails in the park, but any trails more suited to cycling than others?

Also, anyone looking for some good riding who has not done so yet, should head out to the Brandon Hills area when you get the time. Was out there last weekend and had a blast, and there is a ton to ride.

-Bryce

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Is there a trail day being organized for togo/churchill trail? I love it and Id put some work on it for sure...I have a buddy or two to bring along also.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Si[xXx]er
    Well it looks like I'm going to be in the Dauphin/Riding Mountain area next week and was going to take my bike with me and see what kind of trouble I could get myself into. Does anyone have any trail recommendations in the area? I know there are some walking/hiking trails in the park, but any trails more suited to cycling than others?

Also, anyone looking for some good riding who has not done so yet, should head out to the Brandon Hills area when you get the time. Was out there last weekend and had a blast, and there is a ton to ride.

-Bryce
    Try this webpage for trails (front and back country) that are mountain bike friendly:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/mb/riding/activ/activ4.aspx

It's been ages since I have ridden out there. Only trails I remember being on were JET and one that ran parallel with it. My heart was hammering so much on the climb that I thought it was going to explode. Smoking probably had something to do with that, though.

How were trail conditions in the Brandon Hills? Are they dry?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I found that same parks Canada site, I was just hoping someone may be able to steer me in one direction or another as to what is worth riding and what I could skip, looks like I will only have time to sample 2 or 3 of the trails.

Brandon hills were dry and in good shape, maybe a bit overgrown in a few places, but still rideable, and you were right in your earlier post, there is poison ivy somewhere out there... oh well, it was still worth it

-Bryce

Single Speed Nation
    So it looks like somebody did some work on the High trail in Whittier Park recently. I'm talking about the trail that runs along the south side of the rail embankment, the one that runs by the dirt jump section. Earlier this season it was in terrible shape. Washed out in many places and almost unrideable in some. That seems to have been fixed now, because I rode it just last week, and I don't remember seeing anything unusual or having to balance my way across an eroded area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Its been ridable for a few months now...its still eroding year after year in some spots tho.

I like to call it "upper railway", sometimes I wonder what everyone else calls it...I guess I know now!

mtbr member
    does anyone think a website/forum would be valuable to the mtb community in manitoba? a site that would have trail info, possibly some news, and a place to connect to setup group rides, share info, and swap parts?
    Thinking on ways to encourage mountain bike riding in winnipeg and the rest of the province. To develop community and ride our beloved steeds together.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thekrow4jc
    does anyone think a website/forum would be valuable to the mtb community in manitoba? a site that would have trail info, possibly some news, and a place to connect to setup group rides, share info, and swap parts?
    Thinking on ways to encourage mountain bike riding in winnipeg and the rest of the province. To develop community and ride our beloved steeds together.
    Makes sense. Maybe the MCA (Manitoba Cycling Association) could be convinced to provide webspace? Or are you thinking something not affiliated with any official organization / bike shop?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That sounds like a good idea, not sure how to go about implementing it... Just something like the trails section here, but more up to date, and with more accurate trail info. I would be willing to help with the trail stuff, I try to keep track of where I have ridden, and how to get there should I ever want to return, it would be easy enough to add a few pictures to help people find things.

-Bryce

mtbr member
    I'm thinking something not affiliated with shops and orgs. Keeps things unbiased and well less "political" that way. I would be open to banner ads sponsored by shops though since it would help pay for the cost of running such a site. But strictly speaking not something run by a particular shop. In encouraging community, I think there's value in seeing all shops get fair business props, as well seeing them "collaborate" together some.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

website

a Manitoba mountain bike / cycling site would be alright - specially for trails. i like the "neutral" idea, NOT club affiliated. There are some small clubs (not shop sites).
    http://www.bikeclub2003.blogspot.com/
    http://thetrainingcoopblog.blogspot.com/
    http://altonabikeclub.blogspot.com/
    http://oneloveonegear.blogspot.com/
    http://www.redriverracing.ca/
    http://chatter.mitcycling.com/
    http://brandonbikeclub.blogspot.com/

there are a LOT of MB blogs - mostly racers or clubs, some are good, some are crap. the club I belong to (Tinker Creek Cycle) has one, but it is mostly club stuff.
    http://www.tinkercreekcycle.ca/

the question is what kind of site and who's baby is it? who will maintain it LONG TERM. these kinda things often get set up, two or three updates, then it dies. it needs a REAL commitment.

the best site of this kind I can recall here was G4s.org which was a site developed by former Rocky Mountain pro Neil Grover. but even he shut that down after a year or two.

i think it would basically need to just be a bulletin board, another Blog site does not let just anyone submit. And how do you get MB riders to use the site? How do you get the site traffic, so we ALL find out about more trails and all that good stuff?

Those are my thoughts. I support the idea, but it needs to be well done and open to anyone. I don't think it would be anything more than you have going right here really.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Agreed with a lot of what newtrail said, it's not easy, and can be quite a bit of work. The MCA association isn't a bad idea if they would help out, but it's hard to get the commitment needed from a neutral source (ie not a shop or club) and maybe something like the MCA would be as close as you could get?

The other option would be potentially trying to clean up and re-organize the Manitoba trails section on here, there seems to be a lot of duplicate or old info in there:

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/trails-ar...S_4524crx.aspx

I'm not sure what would be involved with a re-organization/removal/more detailed trail info added to that section would involve, but perhaps that would be an option that wouldn't require quite as much work?

As great as letting anyone submit trail info can be, it can also be a nuisance, where you end up with people posting what they consider a MTB trail, but not what others may consider a MTB trail, but you don't want to keep people from contributing good info... I'm not really sure how you find that balance...

-Bryce

mtbr member
    anyone up for a group ride tomorrow afternoon? I was planning to head to Bur Oak or possibly check out the new U of M trail. maybe both

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Damn I would have gone if I wasn't nursing a volleyball injury and coaching in a tournament tonight, any other time you are going post away and I may be able to make it.

-Bryce

mtbr member

YES . . . Winnipeg

Quote Originally Posted by Si[xXx]er
    Winnipeg, you?

-Bryce

Hi Guys! What are the trails there in Winnipeg?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Here is a link to some trails around winnipeg that doesn't exist on the current manitoba cyling page.

Can we plan a MTBR group ride sometime next week and have confirmations? It works better for me...

mtbr member
    I moved out of Winnipeg over two years ago and now live in Brandon! I must say the the brandon hills are gold for riding and only 15 min from my doorstep! Riding mt park is also huge with not bad riding but I still have to explore that area more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipem
    I moved out of Winnipeg over two years ago and now live in Brandon! I must say the the brandon hills are gold for riding and only 15 min from my doorstep! Riding mt park is also huge with not bad riding but I still have to explore that area more.
    True that on the Hills. I'd hope there'd be some good riding nearby - you deserve some compensation for living in Brandon.

mtbr member
    Haha I thought that also when I first moved here but after being here it has everthing you need kinda like living in St Vital with one of everthing.....and like I said great for outdoors people like me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast