bike rider

Looking for a friend in Whistler????

I'm looking to set up a friendship with someone in Whistler that I can have show me around when I come up in July. I was there this past July and Loved it but I would Love to follow a local around to gage speed for some of the features and follow some lines. I'm comfortable on all the Blacks but some of the Double Blacks were a little sketchy the first time and I only did the Crabapple hits once. I'm 42 and was off the bike due to injury for 3 years from 2006-2009. I was the Cat 1 DH State Champ in 2001 and 2003. I think I'd be way more comfortable following someone that has been down the trails before instead of leading my Frist Time group like last time. Thanks.
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

ups and downs
    It's Canada (and that particular part is half full of Australians), you don't need to be really formal about it, we don't carry guns and we're kinda friendly up here. If you're looking at Bike Park runs, then hanging out at the Garibaldi Lift Company post ride should put you in contact with large numbers of people who ride the park a lot, just ask around.

If you're looking to ride technical trails outside the bike park, hook up on a Toonie ride with WORCA and you'd be able find a bunch of people who you could ride with. As long as you're not riding your 13 pound hardtail, then they might be afraid that they'd have to call in S&R to collect you.

WORCA - Home

If you can't find anyone at GLC, a friend of mine is a bike park guide, instructor at Camp of Champs and a fast DH rider, she'd be happy to show you the lines and hook you up with locals even faster than she is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for a friend in Whistler????-fullscreen-capture-8132012-80524-am.jpg  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    damn a chick that rides DH and guides around WBC...I bet she snowboards and brews beer too. maybe in my next life. sigh.

ups and downs
    DH skier in the winter, and Race Face sponsored rider in the summer. Not a beer brewer, but a helluva musician too. And married to a very big guy. She's friends with all the heavy hitter DH crowd that ride Whistler. Some podiums at Crankworx and Psychosis DH in Golden, BC. She can definitely ride. Cool gal.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkdaddy View Post
    damn a chick that rides DH and guides around WBC...I bet she snowboards and brews beer too. maybe in my next life. sigh.

bike rider
    Sweet. Thanks guys. I had a blast there but I know I wasn't hitting that place as hard as a could have being an out of towner and leading my group. I always like to follow some locals when I go someplace new but I never had the chance last time there. I could have used better speed control on A-Line and Dirt Merchant. Not knowing the landings was getting me into some trouble with over shooting and Panic Braking.

I would like to also find someone that I could ship my DH bike to and hold onto it until we get there. We're doing an Alaskan Cruise before we come up. The rental bikes at Bike and Bean are sweet but there is nothing like riding your own bike out there. I'll unbox and build it up but the shops want an arm and a leg to store it. It this bike if you haven't seen it before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for a friend in Whistler????-054.jpg  

Looking for a friend in Whistler????-002.jpg  

I got some pretty decent Niners!

ups and downs
    The tricky thing about advance shipping your bike into Canada is that who ever receives it has to deal with the Customs clearance (unless you ship it by a service that will keep it in a bonded customs warehouse - and then you'd be paying a freight forwarder). Even if the person receiving it can clear it as "Free Domicile" with the guarantee that is being shipped back, they will sometimes have to pay a bond or deposit equal to the value of the taxes on the bike, just to prevent it from being sold in Canada. If you bring it is as luggage there is more of an assumption that you're taking it home. If your Alaskan cruise finishes in Vancouver, see if the cruise ship company can manage your bike for you so it is there when you arrive.

mtbr member
    these are fun and super cheap Whistler Mountain Bike Park - Whistler, BC, Canada - Mens Nights with a good chance you'll win your money back in prizes at the end anyway haha